Jason Jessee drama

Where all the shit ends up ...

Jason Jessee drama

Postby Corey » Thu May 24, 2018 7:04 am

(I think that if a hornet´s nest is clearly visible, then someone has to take responsibility and poke it..)

http://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=99673.0

Anyone catching this..?

IS Jason Jessee a racist/nazi, HAS he actually been one once - or was/is he just knowingly trying to piss everyone off?

I´m kind of uncertain about what to think about this.. Dude strikes me as a likeable weirdo tbh, but that interview is ugly reading.
Corey
nothing better to do

Re: Jason Jessee drama

Postby fftc » Thu May 24, 2018 8:17 am

I think he is probably too dumb to really know what he's on about with the Nazi imagery.

There have been a lot of arseholes of various varieties in skateboarding history. That shouldn't detract from their skateboarding which is what we care about. You don't have to fully align with a skaters socio-political outlook to think they are awesome skaters. But it does become a problem when arseholery is promoted by association as 'cool', and the younger or more impressionable constituents get sidetracked into following such arseholery. But as individuals, skaters are entitled to their opinions just the same as anyone else. Even when they are wrong! But the companies are another matter. They should know better than to promote this shit or to defend skaters who do. Sure, defend the skater for being a good skater, but not for being a racist or a junkie or a murdering rapist! And as a consumer I get to chose not to support those companies that do.
fftc
I skateboard

Postby 606 » Thu May 24, 2018 9:21 am

Jason Jesse was always a douche. Respect to Peanut Brown for knocking him out when Jesse called him a nigger.
I got new wheels

Postby Brian S » Thu May 24, 2018 10:51 am

I'm more offended by his utterly stupid hat wearing :lol: :lol:

As I missed out a fair few years of skating, many of the skaters or boards that many people rave about or hate, usuallyI the 90's era or thereabouts I have no affiliation with or in many cases a clue as to who they are, unfortunately there has been a lot of skaters albeit good that are utterly shitty people who you wouldn't normally give the time of day to otherwise, yet people still idolise them!
Brian S
monuMENTAL GEEK

Postby fogiezboy » Thu May 24, 2018 11:28 am

Why is it these guy's feel the need to be so anti this anti that that they start talking complete shit.I doubt not one of these idiots has taken the time to learn about what the Nazi culture was all about,they think cos they are "bad ass" and the Nazi's were "bad ass" they go with it without having a clue, and what is it with Americans perceptions of punk?,they dont fuckin get that either sprouting off how "punk rock" they are.There's some really thick American skate pro's still knocking about and it amazes me the big manufacturers still sponsor them.
Biniaks got a pump.
fogiezboy
Geek

Postby darthpunk » Thu May 24, 2018 12:51 pm

I didn't know this was a thing until he started apologising, people will gloss over things in the name of hero worship
darthpunk
I skateboard

Postby Corey » Thu May 24, 2018 3:05 pm

606 wrote:Respect to Peanut Brown for knocking him out when Jesse called him a nigger.

+1

Perfect response to it.

When it comes to the imagery, is there some like "biker thing" with the iron crosses and stuff that I don´t know about? Is that biker vibe also where the inspiration for the Indy-logo comes from?
Corey
nothing better to do

Postby reckless toboggan » Sat May 26, 2018 4:28 am

I hope getting punched out taught Jason Jessee a lesson. I've never like Jessee's style, the double-hat gang-biker skate-and-destroy thing is not my style at all.

Didn't really know anything about Jessee other than knowing he's been around for a while and he wasn't a skater that I was even remotely interested in.

A few months ago I bought a pair of the Jason Jessee Indy's, ironically enough, because I like the colour...black and orange.

If I had read that article, or knew anything about him, I would most definitely not have bought those trucks.

I'm going to take a file and scrape off his name and graphics. I don't want to support him or anything he represents any more than I already unwittingly have.

Hopefully his apology and learning is real; however, given that he made those kind of remarks in 2017, I seriously doubt it, and I'm betting it was a saving face business decision for him to attempt to keep his sponsors.

I've never really looked much into the skate companies I buy from. There are skaters that I like their style or graphic, so I get that stuff. I don't have anyone to skate with, never really have, except way back when I was between about 11 and 15 years old...so I don't really know a bunch about the culture. I mostly just pay attention to the skaters where I liked their style...like Lucas Puig, Dennis Busenitz, Daewon Song, etc.

In the videos, the destroying stuff, violence, juvenile gross out stunts and pranks, or dumb-as-rocks skaters were never my thing. A lot of people like that stuff, and I always just thought it was gross and a waste of time. I just wanted more skating.

From now on, when buying something, if I like a graphic or something, I will certainly do more research into who (or the type of person) I'm supporting with my money/purchase.
reckless toboggan
I got new wheels

Postby warwick » Sat May 26, 2018 3:16 pm

Thing I’ve noticed about the skate media today is they’re a lot more condemning of people who have the wrong attitudes than those who do actual bad stuff.
Vice Magazine did a feature questioning why Jason Jessee was ever a cult hero, and suggesting that he should go in for some serious public repentance for his sins. Yet that same magazine did a celebratory feature on Tas Pappas on his release from prison, and published a piece on Mark ‘Gator’ Rogowski - convicted of rape and murder - which included these words:

“While he is quite obviously severely fucked in the brain...he's still one of our favorite dudes to watch ride a skateboard.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
warwick
I need a LIFE!

Postby reckless toboggan » Sun May 27, 2018 9:19 pm

Apparently Jessee has been "suspended" by NHS and Nike.

So no more Santa Cruz, Indy, OJ, Cons.

No one specified what "suspended" means.

I'm thinking that with Nike/Cons it means they're not going to send him product, they stop all association, and he's gone when his contract runs out, unless they feel they have justification to end his contract and stop paying him now. Nike doesn't want their name on this.

With NHS I'm guessing it means no product and they'll make a plan for penance for Jessee, and see if it takes hold in terms of public opinion.
reckless toboggan
I got new wheels

Postby Plan9Customs » Mon May 28, 2018 4:23 am

Where did you hear/see this? Could you screen shot it and post it please? I can't find anything :?
Plan9Customs
nothing better to do

Postby reckless toboggan » Mon May 28, 2018 5:27 am

That's why I wrote "apparently".

It's been posted by industry people on the SLAP forums.

Edit to add:

http://theberrics.com/jason-jessee-racism-controversy/

Vice published statements from the companies: "... Nonetheless, NHS has decided to indefinitely suspend Jason Jessee.

Converse and the CONS Skate team have zero tolerance for words or actions of hate towards any human being. Not today, not ever. As a brand, a team, and a company, we believe in creating a world that embraces diverse communities, cultures, people of color, and genders with kindness, genuine respect, openness, and inclusion.

We have indefinitely suspended Jason from the Converse CONS team. ..."

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/59q3 ... st-remarks

The companies' statements of suspension are about 1/3 of the way into the article.

Stance socks and Brixton clothing have also suspended Jessee.
reckless toboggan
I got new wheels

Postby Plan9Customs » Mon May 28, 2018 6:28 am

Thanks. I was wondering since he was/is a member of the Dukes C.C. Which is predominately Hispanic. I'm pretty freaking sure that Mobby(guitarist from Highway Murderers) is Hispanic also. Not saying he isn't a racist, I know in the late 80s he was. Just looking for proof one way or another.
Plan9Customs
nothing better to do

Postby Cara » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:09 pm

Plan9Customs wrote:Thanks. I was wondering since he was/is a member of the Dukes C.C. Which is predominately Hispanic. I'm pretty freaking sure that Mobby(guitarist from Highway Murderers) is Hispanic also. Not saying he isn't a racist, I know in the late 80s he was. Just looking for proof one way or another.

Well it should probably be said that associating with or even being friends with someone of another race does not exonerate you from racism/bigotry. So you won't find your proof there.

I'm glad to see he was suspended from sponsors but they didn't do it quickly. When I first heard the rumors then saw statements from NHS he still had some product on their site. So they were definitely waiting to see if this would blow over. Which would also explain why the industry isn't so commending of the people who committed violent crimes. People aren't making noise about that. The decision on the part of the companies was purely a business move.
Cara
smell of grip tape

Postby Symo_Back » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:50 pm

Be sad if this isn’t followed up with something better than a note and a video.

Edit: tried to have a read around this and get more info. Great article at http://www.freeskatemag.com/2018/06/05/primitive-progressivism-by-kyle-beachy
Which links to Jim thiebaud insta account and his apologies for complicity; more interesting is what Leticia Ruano at consolidated writes on Thiebauds insta in reply to another user:

[email protected] if you knew he was a racist homophobia why did you employ him?.. if people keep quiet about this shit and let it go on then you’re as guilty.
[email protected]_prady , I didn’t know, he hid it very well. It wasn’t til after he left, that people started telling me stories. I was left speechless because I am Mexican and questioned them because he was never rude to me. They said I had gotten a “hall pass” from him because he liked being associated with the Dukes Car Club, a Mexican car club.

I’m also way impressed Ryan Lay has come out of this; literally only dissenting voices to date are him and Thiebaud. Props for taking huge risks career wise for their values.
Symo_Back
I skateboard

Postby reckless toboggan » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:59 pm

Jason Jessee gives his side of the story on the The Nine Club March 4, 2019

Haven't watched it yet/watching it now.

Trying to watch with an open mind, but finding it very hard to give the benefit of the doubt.
reckless toboggan
I got new wheels

Postby warwick » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:21 am

He’s a good skater, though!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VcBO0clkUu4

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
warwick
I need a LIFE!

Postby undertime » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:39 am

reckless toboggan wrote:Jason Jessee gives his side of the story on the The Nine Club March 4, 2019

Trying to watch with an open mind, but finding it very hard to give the benefit of the doubt.

I tried to watch it, but his incoherent, disjointed attempts at any form of explanation (in fact any form of sentence) were so frustrating I switched off after maybe 10 minutes. I wonder how many people will actually get through the whole three hours.

It seemed like the hosts were trying to ask the difficult questions though, so props to them for that.

On a different/related note - I really like the Nine Club but I wish they'd provide edited versions sometimes. The free flowing format is, of course, the essence of the show, but shorter editions would make it much more accessible. I think the only one I've actually managed to get all the way through recently was the Tom Knox interview, as, at an hour and a half, it was 'short'.
More of the same old shit over at Instagram @undertime74
undertime
Super Geek

Postby fogiezboy » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:45 pm

undertime wrote:
reckless toboggan wrote:Jason Jessee gives his side of the story on the The Nine Club March 4, 2019

I tried to watch it, but his incoherent, disjointed attempts at any form of explanation (in fact any form of sentence) were so frustrating I switched off after maybe 10 minutes. I wonder how many people will actually get through the whole three hours.

It seemed like the hosts were trying to ask the difficult questions though, so props to them for that.

On a different/related note - I really like the Nine Club but I wish they'd provide edited versions sometimes. The free flowing format is, of course, the essence of the show, but shorter editions would make it much more accessible. I think the only one I've actually managed to get all the way through recently was the Tom Knox interview, as, at an hour and a half, it was 'short'.

Totally agree he was avoiding key questions and just going completely off keel telling other stories when asked about certain things.Was it just me or did he seem to come over as being the victim :? .
I do like The Nine Club but found this episode very depressing even Chris Roberts was unsure to have Jessee on the show.
Biniaks got a pump.
fogiezboy
Geek

Postby darthpunk » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:58 pm

fogiezboy wrote:
undertime wrote:

Totally agree he was avoiding key questions and just going completely off keel telling other stories when asked about certain things.Was it just me or did he seem to come over as being the victim :? .
I do like The Nine Club but found this episode very depressing even Chris Roberts was unsure to have Jessee on the show.

The first ten minutes was the incoherent ramblings of a madman, i gave up
darthpunk
I skateboard

Postby reckless toboggan » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:35 am

I watched the whole thing. I wanted to sit with it for a while before I posted again to give what he said (or mumbled) time to sink in. He did not change my mind. It actually made me more angry.

In my opinion, Jessee is a sniveling racist victimhood monger who's too stupid to form coherent thoughts or sentences.

It certainly didn't seem like he had learned anything or accepted actual responsibility for his many, many racist actions.

Instead he mumbled poor-me poor-me I lost my dream job.

Get fucked Jason, skateboarding doesn't need you. In fact, skateboarding is better without you.
reckless toboggan
I got new wheels

Postby reckless toboggan » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:19 pm

Long, but worth a watch if you want some more context.

In the NineClub interview Jason Jessee literally uses these excuses for his racism and Nazism:

.it's because he's left handed
.it's because he was a c-section baby
.it's because he was raised Mormon
.it's because his mom had sex with a "black man"
.it was the 80s
.it was a college project
.it's the Government and the Patriot act
.it was the drugs, and the meth was "self medication"
.it was the people who expected him to be shocking
.it was his friends
.it was a long time ago (way back in 2018 *rolleyes)
Etc
reckless toboggan
I got new wheels

Postby fogiezboy » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:33 pm

reckless toboggan wrote:

Long, but worth a watch if you want some more context.

In the NineClub interview Jason Jessee literally uses these excuses for his racism and Nazism:

.it's because he's left handed
.it's because he was a c-section baby
.it's because he was raised Mormon
.it's because his mom had sex with a "black man"
.it was the 80s
.it was a college project
.it's the Government and the Patriot act
.it was the drugs, and the meth was "self medication"
.it was the people who expected him to be shocking
.it was his friends
.it was a long time ago (way back in 2018 *rolleyes)
Etc

My Jessee unused reissue deck went down the dump with the rest of the shit today,how can I look at that hanging on my wall without thinking about that fool.
Biniaks got a pump.
fogiezboy
Geek

Postby reckless toboggan » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:52 am

Rather than scratch Jason Jessee's name off the Independent trucks I bought a couple years ago, I'm going to use orange nail polish to write FUCK in front of it. It'll give me satisfaction everytime I skate them.
reckless toboggan
I got new wheels

Postby warwick » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:59 pm

All this puts me in mind of Michael Jackson. Given what we now know of him, does that mean people shouldn't listen to his music? And given what we think we know about Jason Jessee, does that make his skating worse?
warwick
I need a LIFE!

Postby reckless toboggan » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:15 pm

warwick wrote:All this puts me in mind of Michael Jackson. Given what we now know of him, does that mean people shouldn't listen to his music? And given what we think we know about Jason Jessee, does that make his skating worse?
I don't listen to Michael Jackson, or watch The Cosby Show, or watch Mark Rogowski skate, just the same as I wouldn't hang an MJ poster or a Bill Cosby poster or Gator poster on my wall.

IMO, yes, it diminishes their skating. The same way Lance Armstrong being an asshole diminishes his riding (note I'm not talking about the drugs here, everyone was on them, I'm talking about Lance being a huge, belligerent asshole).
reckless toboggan
I got new wheels

Postby Brian S » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:10 pm

darthpunk wrote:
fogiezboy wrote:
undertime wrote:

You lasted longer than me then! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not my era so know little of him really, Just another entitled chump who doesn't appreciate what he's had, just wearing the stupid multiple hats is enough not to care :) ! :wink:
Brian S
monuMENTAL GEEK

Postby Brian S » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:20 pm

warwick wrote:All this puts me in mind of Michael Jackson. Given what we now know of him, does that mean people shouldn't listen to his music? And given what we think we know about Jason Jessee, does that make his skating worse?

I still like the Odd Gary Glitter tune & have fond memories of seeing him live (Wot a bastard eh!! :lol: :lol: ), but yea he is a daft twisted twat, but as I cannot stand Michael Jackson anyway can't really comment on listening to his output, but hey if we didn't listen to the music of Fuckups , criminals, freaks, dubious characters & deviants, there would be fuck all left to listen to!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Brian S
monuMENTAL GEEK

Postby HarryR » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:44 am

I don't listen to Wagner because he was an anti-Semitic Nazi :shock:

Joking aside, this week's Moral Maze program on Radio 4 was about this subject.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0002zd9
Rose-tinted view of the days of our youth; we stood the test of time.
HarryR
anorak alert

Postby Symo_Back » Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:23 pm

Yup, because it gives him the Oxygen of publicity. You think that he didn't know what "White Power" with a Swastika next to it was.

Grosso wearing a Skrewdriver t-shirt wasn't cool either.
Symo_Back
I skateboard

Return to Shit Corner