What is Longboarding now?

Where all the shit ends up ...

What is Longboarding now?

Postby irishlostboy » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:44 am

I have recently been lowering my standards of the people I associate with (as if skaters were not low enough) and have been rolling around on relatively flat ground with carver board skaters and longboarders. The city I am currently infesting (Shanghai) has a boardwalk and plaza by the river where all kinds of skaters gather. There are the trick kids doing their flipperyfloppery, there are the carver babes, all imagining they are surfing in Bali, and there are the longboarders, many doing the dancing thing on their long springy boards. But I am starting to notice something. Longboarding is a lot less different to regular skating than I thought, or at least the version of regular skating I know and love.

The longboarders do the carvy cruisy thing, but they seem to also be doing the ollie thing, and the flip thing. I then started watching some videos from the longboarder companies, and it is basically 80's street skating in some examples. bombing hills, shredding parks, sliding benches, popping down stairs.
Then I looked at the kids on their "regular" skateboard and realised "hang on a feckin minute, that is not street skating. That is 100% freestyle".
Now the shit the pros do on street, street skating is badder than ever when I see the vids, but no one is actually doing that stuff here in real life. It is too big. Too gnarly. Amazing but inaccessible. So instead of doing basic tricks on actual street terrain, they are endlessly flailflipping at 0.0002kmph on flatground. (then tantrumming when they fail, for the zillionth time)
Meanwhile the longboarder's boards are getting smaller and more tech, they seem to be skating smaller and harder wheels than before, and their tricks and lines are becoming far more familiar. For me, I think this is interesting to see. It is like watching your little brother grow up or something.
*Aw, so cute, I remember that period*. Haha.

So this put me thinking, time to explore some longboard gear and see what I like and don't. Now I am trying out a deck which is sort-of a long board, and longboarding trucks, and they are fun. So what really is the longboard/not-longboard intersection now?
Anyhoo, just kicking about some thoughts while the rain pours outside. Welcome to the tropics. Plum rain season.
irishlostboy
I got new wheels

Re: What is Longboarding now?

Postby Plan9Customs » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:15 pm

Skate whatever and however you like. Dont get caught up in whos gear fits this label. Just bullshit clique stuff that doesnt matter. Ride whatever and however you want. Labels are for cans. Thats the great thing about skating theres a niche for everyone to find something they like. As longs as youre happy thats all that matters.
Plan9Customs
nothing better to do

Postby Glenouille » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:02 am

It’s interesting but I never disliked what it was from the start.
I never understood why folk were disliking longboarding in the first place.

I stopped giving a shit a long time ago! If I like it, I do it and others can hate it or label it, in the end they are wasting their time while I’m having fun. They should join the fun and stop thinking so much about what should be what and what is right.

I just like stuff on wheels that go on the tarmac where one challenges themselves to do something fun and arty for the sake of it. I love dancing on a longboard, I have one. I don’t talk about it much but I love that super silky smooth and fluid ride.... as much as I love learning tech tricks on ledges! (which is limited, let’s admit it, but fun nonetheless! :lol:)

I look forward to hearing all about the fun you are having exploring this new avenue!
Glenouille
I got new wheels

Postby irishlostboy » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:18 am

I never judged it before, because I simply never got it. I just saw longboards as commuter tools that hipsters used and then kinda stopped thinking about it.
I regularly now mess around on the dance boards of other skaters in my local spot, just using it for deep soul carve stuff in a small slope. Feels very similar to snowboarding when doing that, because of the flex of the board and the grippy tips. Too big for me to own I think though.

On my not-long-longboard thing, I al really enjoying using slide gloves and high speeds to get really long powerslides and coleman/burt slides. Always loved the burt slide, but used to only use it to turn on a bank. Now I am playing with them on slopes. Interesting and new and low impact. All good things for me.
irishlostboy
I got new wheels

Postby doowyrag » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:23 am

I don't use it much, but I do have a longboard (please don't tell anyone.. :D :D).

Plan9Customs wrote:Skate whatever and however you like. Dont get caught up in whos gear fits this label.

Glenouille wrote:I stopped giving a shit a long time ago! If I like it, I do it and others can hate it or label it, in the end they are wasting their time while I’m having fun. They should join the fun and stop thinking so much about what should be what and what is right.

Srsly though, some very wise words here. If it feels good, do it.

The pump track and people in the video you've posted in another thread on here look amazing fun.

Cheers.
doowyrag
Super Geek

Postby JimBin » Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:51 am

Cool to hear you enjoying yourself on a board. That can't be beaten!

irishlostboy wrote:... really enjoying using slide gloves and high speeds to get really long powerslides and coleman/burt slides ... Interesting and new and low impact. All good things for me.

Sounds like great fun, but I disagree with the low impact part.
Ok, you mightn't be jumping stair sets, but going fast and falling equals high impact in my world! Plus putting your hands down into those strange positions and then sliding is only adding to the ways to mess yourself up!

Nice deck you got too.
Lovenskate 8.5, Venture v Lights 5.8, Rockin Rons, Muckefuck 53mm
JimBin
I got new wheels

Postby Plan9Customs » Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:06 am

JimBin wrote:Cool to hear you enjoying yourself on a board. That can't be beaten!

irishlostboy wrote:... really enjoying using slide gloves and high speeds to get really long powerslides and coleman/burt slides ... Interesting and new and low impact. All good things for me.

Ok, you mightn't be jumping stair sets, but going fast and falling equals high impact in my world! Plus putting your hands down into those strange positions and then sliding is only adding to the ways to mess yourself up!

Nice deck you got too.

Agreed.
Plan9Customs
nothing better to do

Postby irishlostboy » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:57 am

JimBin wrote:

Nice deck you got too.

I fully hope to avoid injury as much as possible. Yea, the high end stuff where guys are going car speeds is nuts. I will no more be doing that than I would be jumping big stair sets. I will be looking for the hill equivalent of a three-stair. Haha.
I am still skating in my middle-ages due to my risk averse nature. All the hotshots from my teens and twenties are gone from skating for a reason. Multiple knee surgeries and metal in arms and legs put a damper on their fun. Nuts to that.
I will definitely report back here as the exploration continues.
irishlostboy
I got new wheels

Postby Beigebomber » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:19 am

It's funny reading this, because I came at things almost the exact opposite direction. I was longboarding/speedboarding, then I found a little ditch close to where I was living that the big boards just didn't work on, so I got a smaller deck, and then I figured there were bits of it that I needed to ollie, so I got a deck with a tail, and then I tried bringing it to the skatepark... and now I skate transition pretty much exclusively.
I was out bombing hills and sliding on my old speed board a few weeks ago. It was fun. I watched a couple of Landyachtz promo videos afterwards, which were always the showcase of what was happening in that scene when I was still into it and, yeah, like you say, what those guys are doing now has a whole lot more air in it than I remember. Good for them, it's nice to watch, good flowing stuff. And I bet it's a lot more fun to do than the 99-attempts-to-land-one-flippy-spinny-thing-on-a-glass-smooth-surface stuff that present-day 'street' skaters are doing.
Board sports do tend to go through this pattern though, don't they? Always seems to be some ratio of flow:tech that's dominant, and another one pushing it out of the way.
Doesn´t like decks with dolphins or Bob Marley painted on.
Beigebomber
I got new wheels

Postby irishlostboy » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:55 pm

great story bomber. I will agree with you on transition. My favourite thing is skating bowl corners. I love the "whoosh" feeling of going around a corner. Now that I know you have downhill skills, I will hit on you for advice when I am doing that stuff.
We are on the same page regarding street.
irishlostboy
I got new wheels

Return to Shit Corner