USA Vs. China (Vs. UK)

ITS NOT INTENDED TO BE A SALE/PRICE FORUM JUST A PLACE TO HELP OTHERS OUT WITH DETAILS OF PRODUCTS

USA Vs. China (Vs. UK)

Postby GoR64 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:47 pm

Kinda interested in what your preferences might be concerning decks and their origin of manufacture?

There are certain brands I'm into (creature, cliche, heroin) that are made either in China or the US and find the most important thing to me is mostly concave, durability and weight.

I was recently given a Powell deck made in China that seemed overly heavy and with some shit ply, while the Creatures I've had have always been reliable, even though mfg is also in China - albeit fron Canadian maple, as far as I'm aware.

There's also a bit of a carbon footprint, and I guess an economical issue (if you include A Third Foot or which brands your favourite shop stocks) to consider if any of that makes a difference to you.

Here's a vaguely current list from slap with brands/origin: http://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=97940.0

So the question is, which of your decks spark joy, and why?
Don't call it a comeback...
GoR64
Bigger Geek

Re: USA Vs. China (Vs. UK)

Postby Scissorhands » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:04 am

Quantifying equipment preference is so unreliable due to manufacturing variability, unconscious bias, cognitive dissonance and placebo effects. Also relativity, what you were on before, and how your going at the time.
Last edited by Scissorhands on Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scissorhands
skate skate skate

Postby Mr J » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:23 pm

I'm not good enough to notice or get any benefit from slight variations in kicktail angle or concave depth. I do however have a penchant for 7 ply maple - Enjoi, Chocolate, Real and any brand using Dwindle distribution's resin-7. I don't think it does anything for the level of my skating, but its the sound they make and the sensation from the vibrations as I put them through my low grade tricks that tickles my senses. I don't like thick heavy boards - an 8 ply from Almost (Dwindle) and a thick heavy 7 ply Mini Logo didn't do it for me.

I do care about the environment, it was the main decision maker in which party I voted for in the recent general election, but don't know enough to make an assessment on decks. I believe Dwindle sends maple from the N America continent to China, then sends finished product back to America and other parts of the world. Extra shipping, on the other hand they may make gains in efficiency from size. The party I voted for didn't get in and to me Australia's future progress with emissions reductions does not look good for the next few years, I don't have a lot of confidence in the direction of the current US government either. China seems to be making more structural progress - it has got an emissions trading scheme off the ground amongst other things.
4'th incarnation, age 58
Mr J
anorak alert

Postby doowyrag » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:37 pm

I try to support my local SOS and UK companies..

Current board came from my local SOS, is a UK company and on US wood.
One a few boards ago was UK company and on UK wood but came from a SOS on the other side of the country.

..but having said that, anything goes really as everything else has been a combination of all factors - mostly BBS by the looks of that list.

Cheers.

Edit: Ha! Just re-read your original post and didn't actually answer the question.

GoR64 wrote:which of your decks spark joy, and why?

How about, whichever one I'm riding at the time? :P
doowyrag
Super Geek

Postby Mr J » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:31 am

doowyrag wrote:I try to support my local SOS and UK companies..
... .

Buy from a local SOS is my policy too. Although buying Australian owned/made is not an option from a local SOS.

I have only ever mail ordered one deck - the 8 ply Almost - it had some carbon in it and I wanted to try an exotic construction - I didn't like it. There are only two shops I have used in Melbourne and both are reachable on a tram from where I live. My method of purchase is always the same - I go into the shop and ask "what do you have in 7 3/4". This narrows down the selection to about half a dozen.

For my last purchase I was shown a few with a recommendation of choose the 7 3/4" from the bargain bin - just $50 or about half price. Brand was Blind - non pro signature model, but when I saw it was made from Dwindle's Resin-7 construction I chose that one. I'm completely happy with it. It will last me about a year.
4'th incarnation, age 58
Mr J
anorak alert

Postby Mr J » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:35 am

Mr J wrote:... Although buying Australian owned/made is not an option from a local SOS.

Unless buying the shop brand made overseas counts, which I have done once.
4'th incarnation, age 58
Mr J
anorak alert

Postby GoR64 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:55 pm

I've never really thought about it too much, although considering the number of decks I've had over the years, it's something that's always been at the back of my mind - not so much the environmental issue, although that has come more to the forefront lately, and SOS is pretty much a no-brainer for me, but there have been a few decks which seemed to pop really nicely, lasted well and felt great underfoot, and of course a sweet graphic is a plus.

If I recall over the last few years, it's mostly been Creatures, Almost, Cliche, Heroin, Santa Cruz, and lately Madness, which I believe are all Dwindle. I would really like to try Pennswood (Scumco's veneer just looks lush) but not stocked locally.

Shipping Canadian wood to China and then to the UK seems almost wasteful though, I'd like to see more UK manufacturers, but I can understand how economies of scale/exchange rates/quality control can work better that way.
Don't call it a comeback...
GoR64
Bigger Geek

Postby wavesnwheels » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:39 pm

I'm not really good enough to specify what shape and concave I favor yet as I'm still in the try them all stage but of the boards I have these ones are all great and have a quality feel.

Dogtown deck made in Mexico
Krooked deck made in Mexico
Blind re issue made in USA
Two Creature decks made in ?

I also have an Element deck which in comparison feels a bit soggy.

I'm going to try a UK deck company next, either Drawing Boards or Blast, not sure whether the boards are actually constructed in the UK or not though?
wavesnwheels
I skateboard

Postby doowyrag » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:58 am

doowyrag wrote:I try to..

doowyrag wrote:I try to.. two

Just noticed the double post. Will delete one.

If I can find the button.. :roll:
doowyrag
Super Geek

Postby Plan9Customs » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:16 am

Scram, Doom Sayers, Assault, & Blockhead. All are US made. The Scram & Doom Sayers are Generator wood, the Assault & Blockhead are Watson Laminates wood. Never had a bad deck from those. Ive had a PStix delam as well as those seem to go soggy after about a week.
Which one makes me happy? Any of them that are under my feet at the time. Although, right now I'm on my 2nd Scram Cinex and have another waiting for when needed. So...Scram I guess....
Plan9Customs
nothing better to do

Return to Gear Sluts