Strong boards for the Big Boned rider

ITS NOT INTENDED TO BE A SALE/PRICE FORUM JUST A PLACE TO HELP OTHERS OUT WITH DETAILS OF PRODUCTS

Strong boards for the Big Boned rider

Postby DJAbell » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:11 pm

Just looking for some guidance, I am in the process of building a new set up and when it comes to the deck I'm just wondering if these new carbon insert boards from Cliché, Almost etc are any good and are really that much stronger. I'm around 205 lbs but my skating will be most flat land flips and stuff and a carving around bowls and stuff.

I'm looking at an 8" deck to go with the Indie 139's I've already got and then just need to decide on wheels but that's another story.

Thanks

D. :D
DJAbell
smell of grip tape

Re: Strong boards for the Big Boned rider

Postby Brian S » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:30 pm

I don't think it makes any difference as all boards are basically the same construction of 7ply maple, you may get the odd exotic layer, but I don't think it make a difference to overall strength, just the alleged poppiness some speak of, which is kind of lost on me anyway :lol: , maybe a wider board may be a little more ridged & load bearing possibly
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Brian S
monuMENTAL GEEK

Postby TonyB » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:31 pm

Bit of a gimmick if you ask me. If you are a big man most boards will flex, you'd be better off looking for some good concave to keep the deck stiff. There are some boards available with an extra ply layer to make them a bit stiffer.

The Answer to ALL bearing questions is Rockin Rons
What is the best soft wheel? Orange Rainskates Tsunami 85a duro (available in various sizes)
My Collection
TonyB
NERD!

Postby tom.hoffman » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:12 pm

They are stronger and stiffer. They aren't so much stronger or stiffer that if you jump down some stairs and land on the tail they won't break, or anything like that, but it is also not just pixie dust and marketing. If you're curious they aren't that much more expensive. I'm riding a Creature P2 now. I like it but it isn't a dramatic difference.
tom.hoffman
I got new wheels

Postby Brad Brains » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:19 pm

Check out Lib Tech boards. I damned near broke my foot trying to focus one in a fit of misdirected rage.
Skating since you were swimming in your Dad's nutsack.
Brad Brains
I got new wheels

Postby parker_knoll » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:08 pm

some boards are sturdier than others, that is for sure

I have an Arbor board from the US that is light but still a bit thicker than others i have and doesn't flex as much

My last Flip deck was very strong and wore down very slowly. it was Chinese I think but i can't fault the quality

There's a Flip P2 Burnquist which is a) a large board, b) Flip quality, and c) a P2 so you're winning on all fronts there.
poorly co-ordinated gnarl
parker_knoll
am I a skate geek

Postby Naus » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:42 pm

Most solid board I've had was a mini-logo, it was like a little tank.
Naus

Postby Mr J » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:09 am

Naus wrote:Most solid board I've had was a mini-logo, it was like a little tank.

I have a 7.5" mini-logo on soft trucks which I still occasionally mess around with. It is very solid (and heavy), the reason is that although it is 7 plies it is thicker than a regular board.

Also thicker and heavier than a normal 7 ply is the Almost carbon reinforced "impact-plus" construction.

Because I am fairly diminutive I don't really like the feel of these boards, but they might be good for the heavier rider.
4'th incarnation, age 58
Mr J
anorak alert

Postby Mr J » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:15 am

Brian S wrote:I don't think it makes any difference as all boards are basically the same construction of 7ply maple, you may get the odd exotic layer, but I don't think it make a difference to overall strength, just the alleged poppiness some speak of, which is kind of lost on me anyway :lol: , maybe a wider board may be a little more ridged & load bearing possibly

Although some of these exotic constructions look like they would be stronger (and possibly they are), you do have a point that we don't actually know. To objectively know whether they are stronger would require independent testing in a materials lab under a variety of load situations e.g simulate jump in middle, simulate stamp on tail, simulate bend on flat bar/rail.
4'th incarnation, age 58
Mr J
anorak alert

Postby micke » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:50 am

205 ain't much. Any given Creature will be perfect. P2 or not.
"You ride fucking indys bitch".
Coach Frank
micke
Bigger Geek

Postby Corey » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:55 am

micke wrote:205 ain't much. Any given Creature will be perfect. P2 or not.

I second both those statements. I was around 250lbs when I got my Creature deck, and it´s still holding up over a year later (after skating mostly transition though..
Corey
nothing better to do

Postby casperio » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:58 pm

I'm pretty big and have been skating a lib tech (with all the trick inserts) since August. Very stiff and poppy.
casperio
What mid life crisis ?

Return to Gear Sluts