Strawberry Milkshake

Strawberry Milkshake

Postby Glenouille » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:43 pm

Setting up for the wrap around

A. Position
Back foot: the most important foot here is your back foot. Place it just before the pocket on the bolt heads closest to the tail and now lift your heel up and pivot on the ball of your foot to bring the heel of your back foot out on the opposite side of the board.
Front foot: Because this pigeon toed position is not very comfortable you need to move your front foot to line it up with the board. You will therefore notice that you are not keeping your shoulders aligned with the board for this trick and more facing the direction you are going towards. If you have mastered the no-comply 180 you can position your front foot in the same way. That is ready to quickly leave the board and touch the ground.

B. Action
this is where it differs from a no-comply. There is no popping action, it is all about pressure. Because the weight of your back leg is pushing on the edge of the board, the moment you are going to lift your front foot off to place it on the ground, it will make the board flick towards you back foot. Your back foot toes are pressing the rail towards the ground and the opposite rail goes up accordingly. Let this beautiful movement happen and the board fall onto the bridge of your back foot.
To do that, slide the ball of your back foot outwards keeping your foot in the same position. If you do not slide it, the board will lift up, start rotating but your back foot will keep it vertical in primo position. It really needs to rotate passed 90° and fall onto your foot. The back foot must therefore move away (slightly) as it presses the board down but not too far as it has to end up under the board once fully rotated. Note an important thing here, this is not a half flip. Check the pics to see what I mean [photo 3 in seq. 1 and photo 1 in seq. 2], it does not completely go upside down, it ends up touching your shin/ankle.

Seq. 1

:!: That is ultimately you first milestone for this trick. Front foot on the ground and the board upside down between your legs with your back foot caught underneath the board. [pigeon toed]

The wrap around

A. Position
Back & front feet: feet as described above with both heels on the ground.

B. Action
There are 2 movements at play. One enables the board to perform a 360 rotation and one enables the board to do a kind of half flip.
Lift your back heel up, keep the bridge of your foot under the board and initiate a circular movement bringing your back foot towards your front foot. Don’t lift your back foot too high, keep the nose in contact with the ground. Once your back foot is close to your front foot, the board will have performed a backside 90° turn and you back foot will have nearly performed half of its circular movement. Keep going and keep turning the board. Once you back foot has gone in front of your front foot, the board has nearly completed a 180°.

Seq. 2

:!: That is your second milestone. [photo 3 in seq. 2] Front foot on the ground and the board upside down with your back foot caught underneath the board but your back foot is now slightly in front of your front foot facing the other way [duck toed] still carrying the board (so the back foot is not on the ground)

It’s time to initiate movement 2 and lift your back foot up. The horizontal back foot revolution continues but you also need to move vertically. This is where it’s going to look a little bit like the end of a no-comply impossible. As your back foot goes up, it lifts the tail up and gravity brings the nose down. As you do this, you also need to lift your front foot [photo 2 in seq. 3] and bring it above the board ready for an imminent landing.

Seq. 3

Your back foot is now quite high above the ground [photo 4 in seq. 3] and the remainder of movements 1 and 2 - moving your back foot towards the back and down - is going to bring the nose up. Your feet find their natural position on the skateboard and you are back on the ground.

Seq. 4

to recap: Movement 1 is a horizontal circular movement similar to what you would do with a skip ball [the ball kids tie to their ankle with a rope and jump over in the school yard] and movement 2 is an up and down vertical movement. Both back foot movements combined look like Pluto's orbit (for a lack of a better comparison!):

Hope this helps! Post your vids when done!

Edit: the sequence is taken from the below vid (another car park sesh with a ton of kickflips - that was the theme of the evening). the strawberry milkshake is at 01:24.

Last edited by Glenouille on Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Glenouille
I got new wheels

Re: Strawberry Milkshake

Postby mudslinger » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:43 am

Awesome .. on it ...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
http://skate1junkies.proboards.com/
Instagram = @mudslingerskates
mudslinger
skate skate skate

Postby Corey » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:21 am

(AW)

I love MAS.

I´m on these as well. Have the rotation semi-sorted, just need to get my fat ass off the ground fast enough to avoid skipping whilst waiting for the board to land.. :lol:
Corey
nothing better to do

Postby Eggplant » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:22 am

This is pretty dope!! Thanks for the tutorial.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk
Eggplant
What mid life crisis ?

Postby undertime » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:13 pm

Super rad! Thanks for taking the time to do that man.

Will revisit them when I'm back off me hols in about a week.

And bummer about the injury! Heal quick young man.

Cheers b~
More of the same old shit over at Instagram @undertime74
undertime
Super Geek

Postby Unciano » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:57 pm

DUDE YES. Need to get these learnt. Cheers!
Unciano
nothing better to do

Postby Jimmycakes401 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:13 pm

Woah

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Current pipe setup: Welcome Sloth Hammer Head Deck, Spitfire Formula 4 58mm 99a, Hollow Indi trucks, soft bones bushins, Redz bearings
Jimmycakes401
nothing better to do

Postby undertime » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:54 pm

Thanks to you Glenouille.
Got my first proper (I think) one of these. Took about 20 minutes of trying, and I didn't get another, but, you know, I'll take what I can get...

https://vimeo.com/187170441
More of the same old shit over at Instagram @undertime74
undertime
Super Geek

Postby J_c90 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:19 pm

(AW)
IG: @cleam.clackers
J_c90
nothing better to do

Postby Glenouille » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:54 pm

Image So smooth!Image
Glenouille
I got new wheels

Postby pixelfighters » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:21 pm

Nice one. Did this one as a kid and i'll try it next week.

And nice, clean pop shove it
pixelfighters
skate skate skate

Postby Glenouille » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:13 pm

Thanks man! I had ( and still have) to learn again a ton of tricks I used to do, but never forgot how to pop shove it. I can mess up the landing of an ollie from time to time but never a pop shove-it. It's a very odd thing!
Glenouille
I got new wheels

Postby pixelfighters » Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:55 pm

I can't do pop shove it's anymore but popped big spins and even weirder: i can do kind of a pop shove it late back foot heelflip, but coild never kickflip. Some tricks stick with you and some you just forget as soon as you've learned them
pixelfighters
skate skate skate

Return to How To - Street Tricks