Frontside grinds on transition

This is the place to put all the 'How To' in

Frontside grinds on transition

Postby Transitionsk8 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:30 pm

I've made it my goal to have a decent enough bag of tricks in order to skate parks and bowls from all angles. I can do frontside kickturns just fine, but I really want to learn frontside grinds, mainly 50-50s five o's and frontside smiths.

At this point I've mustered enough courage and muscle memory to get up on the coping and grind a little 50-50. I can do backside 50-50s just fine, so I'm comfortable with the feel of coping and the weight distribution.

It's the part where I have to get back into the transition that scares me, because with backside even if you bail you can usually run out of it, or knee slide, but if something goes wrong frontside I could fall backwards and worst case scenario land on flat.

The trick tip videos I've watched seem to suggest different things. One says to make a little "hop" out of it to avoid hanging up, like going off a sidewalk. My logic tells me a frontside smith would be easier to start with than 50-50 since you're already pointing the nose into the transition and don't have to drop or turn as much as from a 50-50. I have a feeling it's all commitment and diving in blind, but perhaps there are some tips to make it easier. My worst fears are hanging up and not committing enough on the blind drop-in.

There are some very mellow transitions available where I skate, but there is not enough space to actually grind, and I've considered it's actually worse to ride in from a stall rather than a grind since there is no momentum to help clear the coping, so I'm thinking it's better to try them in the bowl although the transition is steeper. Any tips for how to figure these out?
Transitionsk8
What mid life crisis ?

Re: Frontside grinds on transition

Postby Plan9Customs » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:51 am

Do you have frontside slash grinds yet? If not work on those and frontside axle stalls first. The slashers will give some confidence on the coping and the axle stalls will get you to unweight and commit to coming back in. Unless you have frontside pivots there's a big chance you won't get anywhere near smiths. Also with smiths you're 90% in lock up already and still have to lift and pop them back in.
Get your slashers and front axles down first. You'll be much happier and less likely to lock and slam. You can always just turtle slide down if you don't commit or knee slide if you're in pads.
Plan9Customs
nothing better to do

Re: Frontside grinds on transition

Postby Transitionsk8 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:14 pm

I've done a few fs slashes, but I don't do them consistently. I've got to get them down. Somehow in my mind I imagine the chance to hang up being higher since you don't really lock in on top of the coping, i.e I could overshoot and go into disaster. I have to stop making excuses :P No more jumping off, it's commitment time.

I'm set for my next session: fs axles on the lowest transition and then take those to the bowl. Thanks!
Transitionsk8
What mid life crisis ?

Return to Tricks - How To