Basic board control question

This is the place to put all the 'How To' in

Basic board control question

Postby alienfish360 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:55 pm

I wasn't sure the best place to put this, but I have what I think is a very basic question, that my google fu is failing to answer.

When doing ollies, shuv-its, etc, etc, etc. What do you actually look at?

Looking where you're going, or are you watching the board in order to catch it with your feet? Where should I be looking when attempting tricks?

Thanks
alienfish360
I skateboard

Re: Basic board control question

Postby K-ROC » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:29 pm

Think the general rule of thumb is look at where you want to go, but, when learning something like Ollie's you inevitably look at your feet, at least to start off with.
Form like Voltron
K-ROC
Geek

Postby Bullet » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:06 pm

K-ROC wrote:Think the general rule of thumb is look at where you want to go, but, when learning something like Ollie's you inevitably look at your feet, at least to start off with.

What he said. The more comfy you get with tricks the less you look at the board and more to where you're going but you don't decide that, your body just auto-pilot it.
Part Animal - Part Machine
Bullet
I need a LIFE!

Postby alienfish360 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:44 am

Interesting, I will try to keep my head up then.

I find myself looking at the board when trying to do stuff like shuv-it/pop shuv-it which obviously isn't too useful. Or is it a good idea to look till it be comes muscle memory?
alienfish360
I skateboard

Postby Mr J » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:10 am

My technique is to always try and remember to look at the board for any varial or flip trick to make sure my feet locate properly on landing and to take evasive action if primo or varial fail is imminent.
4'th incarnation, age 58
Mr J
anorak alert

Postby Beigebomber » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:29 pm

On the version of the pop shuvit where you're kicking the nose of the board away from you (if you're regular footed, that would be a clockwise rotation) I find it helps to look slightly back in the direction you came from. The direction it puts your shoulders in helps land the trick straight. Feels a bit weird at first, but it works for me anyway. It doesn't have to be very exaggerated, but it made a huge difference for me.
Doesn´t like decks with dolphins or Bob Marley painted on.
Beigebomber
I got new wheels

Postby GoR64 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:07 pm

It's like checking out women on the sly - give it a glance, but don't linger.
Don't call it a comeback...
GoR64
Bigger Geek

Postby richard phillips » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:25 pm

GoR64 wrote:It's like checking out women on the sly - give it a glance, but don't linger.

as gor64 said keep an eye on where your heading, but give your board a quick glance :!:. you don't want to be like a blind scu-terd-kid do you :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
richard phillips
I got new wheels

Return to Tricks - How To