Any tips?
tip toeing through the tulips

http://lyricalwaxing.wordpress.com/
Ben
I need a LIFE!

Roll ins

Postby HarryR » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:59 pm

Good question. I'd like to know too.

I've tried simply going off a small curb, then progressing to a bigger curb where the ground also drops away and then on to a little baby transition. But beyond that it gets scary.
Rose-tinted view of the days of our youth; we stood the test of time.
HarryR
anorak alert

Re: Roll ins

Postby vato kat » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:30 pm

Here's Lizzie to show you how...

I'd like to learn this too. It seems to be the best way to get some proper speed up in a bowl. I've tried it on the mini a few times and hung up every time, making it even more intimidating to try it on concrete.

It seems straightforward - if you can grind, you can roll in - but doesn't everything? :(
vato kat
SHOOT ME!

Postby Brian S » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:52 pm

I too have seen people roll in/off into bowls making look like nothing, some pretty high one's but have pushed towards the edge of about a 4 ft transition & just jumped off before I got there as it just feels really dodgy! :?
Brian S
monuMENTAL GEEK

Roll ins

Postby HarryR » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:07 pm

vato kat wrote:Here's Lizzie to show you how...

I'd like to learn this too. It seems to be the best way to get some proper speed up in a bowl. I've tried it on the mini a few times and hung up every time, making it even more intimidating to try it on concrete.

It seems straightforward - if you can grind, you can roll in - but doesn't everything? :(

Right, that's a different way to how I'd imagined it. It still looks scary though. I was basically thinking that you would ride straight off the edge and when your back wheels were clear somehow angle your board down the transition.
HarryR
anorak alert

Postby Sean73 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:59 pm

I love doing these!
There easy once you get over the fear,
just approach the lip at a slight angle with enuff speed to carry you over.
like dropping in you just have to commit,cant really learn in stages its all or nothing!
Sean73
nothing better to do

Postby vato kat » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:01 pm

HarryR wrote:
vato kat wrote:Here's Lizzie to show you how...

Right, that's a different way to how I'd imagined it. It still looks scary though. I was basically thinking that you would ride straight off the edge and when your back wheels were clear somehow angle your board down the transition.

A lot of folk seem to do it that way, or simply ollie straight in.

Tougher than me. :oops:
vato kat
SHOOT ME!

Postby tom.hoffman » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:29 pm

[quote="vato kat"]Here's Lizzie to show you how...

She's doing a 5-0 grind in, which is a more advanced trick than just rolling in.

Rolling in seems like one of those moves which will extract a hard slam or two in the process of learning it, so I've put it in the "don't mess with until you really need it" category.
tom.hoffman
I got new wheels

Postby mrrobgee » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:47 pm

Yeah always fancied doing these as well , I can ride out of quite a few things and just about get over a low hip which I imagine is a similar feeling.

Think I will have to pop over Potters Bar Sean for some guidance

http://vid1242.photobucket.com/albums/g ... lasjkt.mp4
I hear 50's are the new 30's so maybe I will remember them this time round :)
Can also be found on XBOX Live as TheGTeam
mrrobgee
am I a skate geek

Postby Unciano » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:56 pm

Have had these on my to do list since forever. Have done them on little baby transitions but yet to do it on anything 5 foot or bigger, will have a proper go next time methinks :D
Unciano
nothing better to do

Postby warwick » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:10 am

There's a roll-in at the beginning of this short vid, and a bailed roll-in at the end.

There's very little skill or technique needed - just approach the lip frontside at an angle, lift your front wheels up and roll over. And that's it.

If you wear pads you can try doing it to a bail a few times, or just running out of it, to see what it's like to go over the lip like that, before you commit. You imagine you'll feel the edge and maybe even hang up but that doesn't happen.

It's all in the mind, this one

http://youtu.be/mrCvxys3uRI

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
warwick
I need a LIFE!

Postby HarryR » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:24 am

That's pretty much how I'd imagined it. So, not much technique, just balls out and go for it then :-)

All in the mind like a drop in. It might be a while before I can get to that.
HarryR
anorak alert

Postby GarethV » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:19 pm

thanks Ben

this post reminds me........

its on my skate resolutions list.

seen Sean bomb in many a time to set up for a lengthy Frontside 50/50.

So need to try it myself and hopefully the ultra mellow coping (at PB bowl) or "Noping" will make it a little less daunting :)
Skaters gonna Skate
GarethV
Geek

Postby warwick » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:23 pm

There's only one technique thing you need to know. Your front wheels. Lift them up as you approach the lip. Don't even think of putting them down until you've ridden right over with your back wheels. It's ok if you overshoot and drop through the air a bit. It's not ok if you put your front wheels down too soon, lock up and die.
warwick
I need a LIFE!

Postby tom.hoffman » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:22 pm

warwick wrote:There's only one technique thing you need to know. Your front wheels. Lift them up as you approach the lip. Don't even think of putting them down until you've ridden right over with your back wheels. It's ok if you overshoot and drop through the air a bit. It's not ok if you put your front wheels down too soon, lock up and die.

Makes sense... if you overshoot, you're just landing closer to flat anyhow.
tom.hoffman
I got new wheels

Postby HarryR » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:48 pm

warwick wrote:There's only one technique thing you need to know. Your front wheels. Lift them up as you approach the lip. Don't even think of putting them down until you've ridden right over with your back wheels. It's ok if you overshoot and drop through the air a bit. It's not ok if you put your front wheels down too soon, lock up and die.

Simples!
HarryR
anorak alert

Postby Piers C » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:26 pm

Sean73 wrote:I love doing these!
There easy once you get over the fear,
just approach the lip at a slight angle with enuff speed to carry you over.
like dropping in you just have to commit,cant really learn in stages its all or nothing!

I've seen Sean do these 100's of times on all sorts of transitions, he makes them look easy and definitely knows what he is talking about. I've still not had the bottle to try though ha,ha. Still on 'The list' though.
Piers C
I got new wheels

Postby warwick » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:31 pm

Do a 'bullshit' one. Roll up to a drop-in much bigger than you ever imagine yourself making, lift your wheels, roll over with your back wheels and then run out of it. You might surprise yourself with how do-able it feels, once you've got over the fear of riding over a drop.

That's how I ended up doing the 6ft roll in in the video above. I thought the deep end of the Bay66 bowl was too deep to roll into, but I wondered what it would be like to go over the edge so I had a go, knowing I was just going to jump off. I did it once or twice and then thought 'hold on! This actually isn't so bad after all.' So then I did it and stayed on

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
warwick
I need a LIFE!

Postby Ben » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:55 pm

Thanks .Some really good tips.

The modern 5-0 method does look more doable but I would like to nail the 'old school version' such as on Warwick's vid.
Should the approach to the coping be at a shallow angle? You almost seem to aim for an acid drop which just seems too scary.
tip toeing through the tulips

http://lyricalwaxing.wordpress.com/
Ben
I need a LIFE!

Postby chuffedankles » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:26 pm

Urgh! I spent some good time wussing out of these today. Problem for me is that the smaller transition in my local has pool coping, and shoddy laid stuff at that! Im going to go early tomorrow, pad up and man up!
chuffedankles
I got new wheels

Postby Bullet » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:24 pm

Piers C wrote:I've seen Sean do these 100's of times on all sorts of transitions, he makes them look easy and definitely knows what he is talking about. I've still not had the bottle to try though ha,ha. Still on 'The list' though.

If you can backsmith like in your avatar you can roll in... At least backside... :wink:
Part Animal - Part Machine
Bullet
I need a LIFE!

Postby GoR64 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:36 am

About 30 degrees at the coping should do it, I tend to turn in a manual as my front wheels pass the coping, effectively making it a bomb drop, but with the shallower entry angle you tend not to overshoot. Frontside is less scary than backside for me, but you do it twice and wonder what all the fuss was about.
As a bonus I find you can get a touch of speed more easily than with a regular drop in, which is a good setup for an alley-oop 50-50.
Don't call it a comeback...
GoR64
Bigger Geek

Postby Noah » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:50 am

Warwick, just watched your video. You are really good! The roll ins freak me out also.
SKATER
Noah
skate skate skate

Postby Beigebomber » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:39 am

Um. I've never done a roll in, but I have done quite a few FS 5-0s, which seem to be similar.
The Ride video is fine, but like a lot of them, they say 'I'm going to teach you how to do X' when in fact they mean 'I'm going to show you how to do X', which is a different thing.

I've only done these on straight coping/ramp, not in a bowl, but I think a bowl's curvature would help.

Anyway, the trick for me was having a spot to focus on. The spot should be on the flat, a little bit outside of the line you want your board to take. Arg, this is hard to explain. If you are on a miniramp, imagine yourself rolling up the tranny, sliding along the coping frontside, then beck down and onto the flats. Put a marker (in my case it was a random mop-head that was lying about) off to the side of the ramp.

Now, when you want to get off the coping and drop back in - focus your eyes on that marker. Point BOTH your hands at it (some vigorous swing when you bring your arms around helps here). The third most important thing is to point your hands/head/eyes DOWN at it, like you really want to grab that marker with both hands. Otherwise your shoulders are in the right direction, but you slide onto your arse every time. You really need to REACH FOR THE MOP. That's what I kept chanting to myself anyway.

So it's a really exaggerated swing of the whole upper body towards this point on the flat you've chosen. Feels sketchy as fuck initially, like you're going to fall forwards onto your knees, but it works for me. I imagine that once you have the positioning nailed, you don't have to exaggerate the movement quite so much. I'm not there yet, so I'm still flailing about like a windmill, but still, it works. I imagine it'll work for roll ins too.
Doesn´t like decks with dolphins or Bob Marley painted on.
Beigebomber
I got new wheels

Postby Red Beard » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:38 pm

Can't say I've tried this but seems solid advice to me:

[youtube]https://youtu.be/9_11zCoIVf8[/youtube]
Red Beard
nothing better to do

Postby K-ROC » Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:30 pm

Red Beard wrote:Can't say I've tried this but seems solid advice to me:

Fixed that for yer
Form like Voltron
K-ROC
Geek

Postby JamesC » Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:23 pm

That youtube vid is really good. Only difference for me is that frontside roll in is much easier. In fact backside scares the shit out of me but after watching this vid may well give them a go. As for acid drops, only on small transition for me.
Omar is spot on about speed, you get so much more than just a drop in
Loose trucks save lives

http://skateboardmagazine.co.uk/ - Europe's Hottest Skateboard Magazine
JamesC
am I a skate geek

Postby Vintage Skater » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:57 am

After 3 weeks back skating after 36 years off have drop ins down pretty well. Now thinking need roll ins nailed down for increased speed in bowl.
Also thinking five 0 style looks much safer than the straight roll in. With 3 wheels over coping and truck grinding coping seems far less room for nasty rear truck hang up....
Vintage Skater
smell of grip tape

Roll ins

Postby warwick » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:18 am

The big blockage, I find, is not knowing what to expect when you ride over the coping and in for the first time. You don't know whether you're going to float over and ride away, or lock up and slam horribly onto your face. So the way to get over that, I find, is to wear pads and ride over the edge with the intention of bailing. Just go at it, and the moment your back wheels go over, jump off and run out over the far side of your board. Then do it again, and maybe leave it a little later to bail. After you've done that a few times you begin to realise what's involved, and you'll know whether it's OK to stay on.
Oh, and frontside is much easier than backside.
This video shows what it looks like to roll in from the rider's point of view - it's about 20 seconds in

http://youtu.be/NQAjtmrlU-Y

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
warwick
I need a LIFE!

Postby GarethV » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:40 am

[quote="warwick"]The big blockage, I find, is not knowing what to expect when you ride over the coping and in for the first time. You don't know whether you're going to float over and ride away, or lock up and slam horribly onto your face. So the way to get over that, I find, is to wear pads and ride over the edge with the intention of bailing. Just go at it, and the moment your back wheels go over, jump off and run out over the far side of your board. Then do it again, and maybe leave it a little later to bail. After you've done that a few times you begin to realise what's involved, and you'll know whether it's OK to stay on.
Oh, and frontside is much easier than backside.
This video shows what it looks like to roll in from the rider's point of view - it's about 20 seconds in

http://youtu.be/NQAjtmrlU-Y

Sound advice again.
I remember padding up for my first ever drop in at Uxbridge mini when I was around 13/14. I was determined to finally do it so went early (even back then) to get it done before I had an audience and chickened out.

Really want roll ins ( they open up so many doors to flow around the park) and having a bail option may just get over the initial fear.
A job for a Sunday in a few weeks I think, most likely at Potters Bar.

Thanks!
Skaters gonna Skate
GarethV
Geek

Postby duck » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:40 pm

I decided to try an easier version of Lizzie's 5-0 roll in technique in the video, doing it from a 50:50 roll in instead. I've been thinking this through as a possibility in my head for a couple of weeks now seeing as I recently got axle stalls and 50:50's sorted, it seemed like the kind of logical progression, but was still pretty scary at first:

From here I suppose I could try lifting the front wheels early and turning it into a 5-0 roll in.... :/
Amateur skate videos from somerset and beyond: http://youtube.com/robotduckvideo
duck
am I a skate geek

Postby Nut » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:49 pm

Great video Duck.

Once you got some speed into them it looks like you're naturally leading with the back arm, then evening out with the front.

Did you plan it that way?
Nut
nothing better to do

Postby duck » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:14 pm

Nut wrote:Great video Duck.

Once you got some speed into them it looks like you're naturally leading with the back arm, then evening out with the front.

Did you plan it that way?

Nope, I was entirely thinking about my feet, trucks & the coping. I guess my arms were on autopilot and just did the right thing :)
Amateur skate videos from somerset and beyond: http://youtube.com/robotduckvideo
duck
am I a skate geek

Postby warwick » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:06 pm

Nice video.
I don't really do backside roll-ins these days - I feel safer and more comfortable doing them frontside. But the video reminds me that I used to do them, years ago, on vert. I used to roll along the platform, lift my front wheels, lean in and ride over like I was doing a backside grind or 5-0. It was a definite roll in and I didn't get any air. People watching used to cover their eyes and say that I was going to hang up and die any time. But it sort of worked.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
warwick
I need a LIFE!

Postby Unciano » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:18 am

Beigebomber wrote:The third most important thing is to point your hands/head/eyes DOWN at it, like you really want to grab that marker with both hands. Otherwise your shoulders are in the right direction, but you slide onto your arse every time. You really need to REACH FOR THE MOP. That's what I kept chanting to myself anyway.

So it's a really exaggerated swing of the whole upper body towards this point on the flat you've chosen. Feels sketchy as fuck initially, like you're going to fall forwards onto your knees, but it works for me.

Got these today finally. Peice of piss once I started reaching my lead arm/shoulder down and into the ramp as I went over. Best advice EVER from Beigebomber b~ b~ b~
Unciano
nothing better to do

Postby Nomis » Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:47 pm

Those are helpful tips and videos.

I learnt pretty lame roll ins a while back on the small top bowl at Meanwhile but they were basically a bit more like a rolling second half of a disaster / fakie rock in.
Never quite got the hang of properly rolling up and then either taking the side on or acid drop route.
Would very much like to, but this is one of those tricks where I think the imagined consequences of fucking it up outweigh the actual difficulty.
I have no problem acid dropping stuff. As a not very good skater in my youth it was one of the few things I could happily do. Logically there is no reason why I couldn't do it into a bowl. However, there's that fear of straight over the nose, smash face first into the concrete.
I suspect this is why you see teenage kids quite happily rolling into bowls, they don't have the fear yet.

I'm going to try and learn these before summer is out.
Nomis
I got new wheels

Return to Tricks - How To