Early grab airs or 180 boneless?

This is the place to put all the 'How To' in

Early grab airs or 180 boneless?

Postby Southeast Twenty Stu » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:32 pm

Which would you try learning first? I'm desperate to get above the coping and would appreciate any tips on the best /easiest way to start off?
Southeast Twenty Stu
skate skate skate

Re: Early grab airs or 180 boneless?

Postby Fen » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:46 pm

I would say early grabs are easiest but hard to get much height over the coping. A boneless 180 you can get higher but re-entry is very scary and more likely to fall harder in my experience! Early grabs first I think.
Fen
SHOOT ME!

Postby Southeast Twenty Stu » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:08 pm

Cheers Fen
Southeast Twenty Stu
skate skate skate

Postby Fen » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:13 pm

It is mostly up to you in the end. maybe you have more balls to do the boneless re entry then I do :) I have trouble doing them on flat banks. But falling from an early grab is usually less painful.
Fen
SHOOT ME!

Postby Bullet » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:49 pm

Like early grabs, even the boneless require you to squat early on, and can be also learnt starting lower down the tranny. Is a bit more difficult but unlike early grabs, which are influenced by the height and steepness of the ramp, a boneless can be taken anywhere at any height after you have it down!
Part Animal - Part Machine
Bullet
I need a LIFE!

Postby tom.hoffman » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:19 pm

I'd consider a boneless a much more advanced and dangerous trick on anything approaching vert.
tom.hoffman
I got new wheels

Postby Nut » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:31 pm

Boneless is well gnarly on tranny (see how my bro gets on with them near the end of this)

What about sweepers?
Nut
nothing better to do

Postby Unciano » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:46 pm

Definitely try early grab airs first unless you are some type of lunatic. Boneless have always been one of my favourite tricks to do since I was a kid but even the thought of planting my foot on top of the coping and boosting out like that to fall to certain death is frankly terrifying.
Unciano
nothing better to do

Postby alpharob » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:08 pm

Early grabs definitely. But if you do try bonelesses, don't stamp and pull up like you would on flat or you'll end up over the flat bottom. Treat it more like a foot assisted fs air, with just a little hop
alpharob
I got new wheels

Postby tom.hoffman » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:14 pm

Also, don't get too fixated on the negative connotations of the "early grab" part. The first few are awkward, but once you get enough speed going, an air is an air on transition.
tom.hoffman
I got new wheels

Postby warwick » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:03 pm

Backside early grab is a classic miniramp trick.
Harder to do on a big ramp because it kills your speed - better to do a late grab there.
Frontside airs are pretty much the same on most ramp sizes - I don't think there's a major difference between early and late grab.
Frontside bonelesses are great on miniramps - they're similar to regular frontside airs once you're in the air but they look much cooler because of being boosted out, and because you often end up with not just your front foot but both feet off the board. The downside is the potential for disaster. If you get the board tangled between your feet if can go horribly wrong. I've just started getting into these tricks after not doing them for years. Backside bonelesses I've never mastered. Going back in from the position you end up in is just mental.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
warwick
I need a LIFE!

Postby Southeast Twenty Stu » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:17 pm

Got my early grabs in the transition, but struggling to get above the coping. Not sure if it's a mental block or what. I think part of the problem is that I have to be approaching the coping at an angle in order to turn them enough (i.e. I'm not doing a full 180) and this looses some of my speed.. dunno.
Southeast Twenty Stu
skate skate skate

Postby Unciano » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:29 pm

I'm struggling with these also. However they are LOADS easier if the you can find a ramp where the coping sticks out enough to bounce your wheels off the top.
Unciano
nothing better to do

Postby Joshp » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:31 pm

Learned frontside boneless on transition below coping last Sunday (6 footish quarter that ends below being vert). Going to the park today for lunch and hoping to give some early grabs a go on that same quarter. Wish me luck!
Joshp
smell of grip tape

Return to Tricks - How To