Ollie help

This is the place to put all the 'How To' in

Ollie help

Postby Vinnielopez » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:09 am

Ok so they always say the first trick to learn is an ollie. My question is for us older guys is it smart to practice in the grass? Attempting to do an ollie and landing wrong and taking a massive hit would not be good. For some reason this is scaring me
Vinnielopez
smell of grip tape

Re: Ollie help

Postby CptCornflake » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:34 pm

I tried on grass but found there to be very little "pop". I stiil practice these a hell of a lot and seem to be getting nowhere, I just hope one day they wlll just click. I have found that sticking to the concrete has helped me massivly in learning how to bail. I often get my weight or balence wrong, overthink it or I just dont pop hard enough causing the deck to piss off but I am starting learn that fraction of a second earlier whats coming next and tend to avoid humiliation now.
I have definatly carried the learning to bail thing through from ollies into the transstions too which helps down at the park, keep to the hard stuff.
Thirty something, beard toting, mongo pushing wannabe "hipster" tossing about on a childs toy.
CptCornflake
I skateboard

Postby pete » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:10 pm

practicing on grass or carpet is ok, as there is no pop it'll teach you to lift the deck with your front foot which is good, then just take it to something harder :)

if its scaring you, you can always find some concrete with something infront of you that you can hold on to as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8qlooZCZ-w
pete
nothing better to do

Postby skov » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:23 pm

A piece of carpet over concrete/tarmac might be a better option than grass.
Should slow your board down without reducing pop too much.
skov
I got new wheels

Postby imboard » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:23 pm

imboard
I skateboard

Postby Vinnielopez » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:54 pm

Thats a great idea!!! I will get busy with this idea the Braille videos are great.
Vinnielopez
smell of grip tape

Postby richard phillips » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:44 pm

put some OLD wheels/bearings on your board and over tighten the axel nuts, it dosent matter what wheels/bearings they wont move or roll anyway! make sure you don't put SPACERS in the wheels and you have your own skater aids, also your re-cycling whilst hopefully learning to Ollie or improving them 8) 8) 8) 8)
Last edited by richard phillips on Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
richard phillips
I got new wheels

Postby mjlally » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:11 pm

Learning them myself at the moment. I saw online somewhere that you can make your own skater trainer things to learn ollies by making a hole in each of 4 tennis balls which you then put over your wheels. Haven't tried it yet.
mjlally
am I a skate geek

Postby richard phillips » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:27 am

[quote="mjlally"]Learning them myself at the moment. I saw online somewhere that you can make your own skater trainer things to learn ollies by making a hole in each of 4 tennis balls which you then put over your wheels. Haven't tried it yet.[/quote

one thing that really helped me was not to drag my front foot at to much of an angle, by keeping my leading foot straighter the Ollie travels forward rather than upwards :). once you have the timing right the board will pop and come to your feet, your Ollies should be about 6-10 inchs high but with the board level :D.
now its time for angling your front foot over more and popping the tail harder, with the timing learnt from before you should be getting about a 1ft high now 8). its better to get less height and more control when learning, its took me about 4months to get my sketchy OLDMAN Ollies to clear 2 boards stacked :D. back in the day I used to be able to Ollie 5-6 boards stacked up....... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by richard phillips on Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
richard phillips
I got new wheels

Postby imboard » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:50 am

quick slow mo for you!
https://youtu.be/zhUXzsol0vA

and an old school pressure flip lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IV57FjF ... e=youtu.be
cheers
imboard
I skateboard

Postby Vinnielopez » Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:43 am

That's awesome is that you in the videos?
Vinnielopez
smell of grip tape

Postby Vinnielopez » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:37 am

Well I think I will be starting in the grass I took a nasty spill on concrete with no pads. I was dumb I figured well I will try it real quick and that's all it took. Now everything that would have had a pad or helmet hurts. Just a stupid move on my part
Vinnielopez
smell of grip tape

Postby imboard » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:39 am

Vinnielopez wrote:That's awesome is that you in the videos?

aye! my fat ass!
imboard
I skateboard

Postby Vinnielopez » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:37 pm

imboard we are both big guys im about 235 right now I have lost a few pounds that last few weeks
Vinnielopez
smell of grip tape

Postby imboard » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:00 pm

106 kg isnt to bad!! my problem is finding strong boards as my last toy machine only lasted 4hrs
imboard
I skateboard

Postby Vinnielopez » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:15 pm

I was 86 kg like 5 years ago then got inactive with married life etc and gained a lot of weight. My frame is made to hold that much weight. I'm using skateboarding as a means to have fun and get active and hopefully take a few kg off. I'm hoping to get back to 85-86 kg.
Vinnielopez
smell of grip tape

Postby richard phillips » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:43 pm

part of weight loss is your intake/diet and keeping active, I quit smoking about 2yrs ago and gained over a stone, so I cut all my portions down by half and bmx/freestyled a few more times a week 8). it took about 6months to loose the spare tyre, im now back down at 12.5stone and going to try for 11.5!!!! that's what I weighed at 18-20 odd and riding street every night, the only difference im skating now which seems more energetic :shock:. middle aged sweater........ :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
richard phillips
I got new wheels

Postby Vinnielopez » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:25 pm

nice work so you are down to 175-180 lbs in my US numbers nice work!
Vinnielopez
smell of grip tape

Postby richard phillips » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:43 pm

cheers mate, i stand at 5ft 9in or there abouts so average height and 39 this September :?.
richard phillips
I got new wheels

Postby albatross » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:30 pm

I am getting absolutely nowhere with this trick! wanted to learn it so I could eventually teach my son but despite still being a reasonably athletic guy in my old age I just cannot get the board off the ground.

I am obviously doing something fundamentally wrong. Are there any drills I can do to help?
albatross
What mid life crisis ?

Postby balefulstare » Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:59 pm

Don't feel too bad, I haven't progressed much either, mine are not much different than when I was 13. :lol:

I've been trying the separate actions by themselves: The tail pop, the foot drag & then both together. Apparently this builds muscle memory. It seems to have helped a bit, my ollies now look more consistently like ollies. A word of warning though, this will fuck up your shoes worse than actually doing ollies, so use old shoes! Outlined here:
I get more motivated by the phrase “Fuck it” than any other motivational phrase
balefulstare
I like skateboarding

Postby skater73 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:36 am

It's a lifting-the-board trick.

You know how you pick up a board by tapping the tail then grabbing the nose with your hand?
Well that makes the front wheels come up to about 2ft.

( I can't ollie that high by the way even though I'm describing it )

If you can get your front foot to level the board at that point then ... 2ft ollie!
Watch loads of vids like the one above, concentrating on the front foot.

Problem is you also have to get your back foot up and out the way, which is where I'm stifling my ollie.

Try holding onto a chair or similar.

Keep trying (gh)
skater73
I got new wheels

Postby mjlally » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:07 am

I'm 45 and started skateboarding in Febraury, 28 years after skating for six months and never being very good at it. Didn't even know about ollies first time round, never mind being able to do them.

I am learning to ollie this time round from scratch and starting to get off the ground and land them consistently.. 95 successes out of a hundred last session. I'm not leveling them off yet so they are not very high. I found advice from the forum massively helpful along with the braille skateboarding turorial given above.

My ollie practice routine is as follows

practice the movements split up as in the video tutorial (braille skateboarding above).
attempt ollies holding a fence or a rail until you get the movement and timing starting to come together and the board getting off the ground.
attempt ollies stationary (on rough ground or with wheels in a crack to stop the board rolling too much)
attempt ollies rolling.

one other thing that helps is if you can video yourself. You can straight away see what you are doing wrong and better skaters can advise you how to correct mistakes.

These are some of my better attempts from my last session, so as you can see a long way off doing them properly and not very high.

mjlally
am I a skate geek

Postby skater73 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:52 am

Nice one.
Although I learnt to ollie 26yrs ago and have never lost it, I am definitely past my prime now.
My attitude now is to try and have a consistent lower ollie rather than a more hit and miss high one.
( also faster and lower would be nice but too many previously tweaked front ankles makes me wary )
High enough to get up high curbs is practical, if nothing else, so you can keep cruising along.
skater73
I got new wheels

Postby richard phillips » Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:12 pm

im lucky in that respect to I learnt to Ollie back in 87/8 and have never really lost it, although the days of clearing 5-6 boards stacked up or a plastic dust bin are gone :(. so now im working on consistency and getting them back to about 3 boards, which can work up to 2 or a similar sized cardboard box when properly warmed up :) :) :) :)
richard phillips
I got new wheels

Postby mjlally » Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:22 pm

richard phillips wrote:im lucky in that respect to I learnt to Ollie back in 87/8 and have never really lost it, although the days of clearing 5-6 boards stacked up or a plastic dust bin are gone :(. so now im working on consistency and getting them back to about 3 boards, which can work up to 2 or a similar sized cardboard box when properly warmed up :) :) :) :)

Thanks for your advice on the resolutions thread, still trying to put it into practice. I'll be happy to clear a few stacked match boxes!
mjlally
am I a skate geek

Postby richard phillips » Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:14 pm

mjlally wrote:
richard phillips wrote:im lucky in that respect to I learnt to Ollie back in 87/8 and have never really lost it, although the days of clearing 5-6 boards stacked up or a plastic dust bin are gone :(. so now im working on consistency and getting them back to about 3 boards, which I can work up to 2 or a similar sized cardboard box when properly warmed up :) :) :) :)

Thanks for your advice on the resolutions thread, still trying to put it into practice. I'll be happy to clear a few stacked match boxes!

I can remember when I first cleared a coke can on its side, then upright and before long doing two coke cans stacked which seemed massive :o. its amazing how fast you go from really small stuff to ollieing bigger stuff, a year from now you will look back and very surprised how far you've come :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
richard phillips
I got new wheels

Postby Nomis » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:38 pm

In all my years of skating, my ollies have never been much cop. Can Ollie up a curb and got close to being able to clear one deck but have never had any consistency. That Braile skateboarding tutorial video is a good one. May try and get stuck in again on finally nailing the Ollie.
Nomis
I got new wheels

Postby balefulstare » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:26 am

It's working for me. The last couple days something clicked and almost all my ollies look good and still not that high but higher. The biggest hangup I had I think was my back foot getting it the way, it just takes a light tap and immediately get it up out of the way almost like your wrist action when you're cracking a whip. I did a couple stationary ones today and they were both over 10 inches! I must say I kind of surprised myself.

The biggest thing though is practice, practice, practice. And do lot's of unrelated stuff too, that can help. Lately i've just been riding around and doing those stupid board flips where you just stand beside your board with your toes underneath and jump up, flipping the board & land on top, also attempting Slappys and no-complys. All that stuff helps with board confidence and control.
balefulstare
I like skateboarding

Postby JadedOlive » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:39 am

balefulstare wrote:It's working for me. The last couple days something clicked and almost all my ollies look good and still not that high but higher. The biggest hangup I had I think was my back foot getting it the way, it just takes a light tap and immediately get it up out of the way almost like your wrist action when you're cracking a whip. I did a couple stationary ones today and they were both over 10 inches! I must say I kind of surprised myself.

The biggest thing though is practice, practice, practice. And do lot's of unrelated stuff too, that can help. Lately i've just been riding around and doing those stupid board flips where you just stand beside your board with your toes underneath and jump up, flipping the board & land on top, also attempting Slappys and no-complys. All that stuff helps with board confidence and control.

It's funny, but sounds like I'm right there with you man! Just figured some of the same stuff out over the past few days as I really tried to break down what I was doing wrong. I found I was crouching too deep and for too long prior to popping. It was putting me off balance, so I started focusing on just that quick light tap and I started making some progress.

After working on getting my back foot out of the way quickly, I started straightening out my front foot slide, and have finally gotten that sort of "ankle roll" motion that is necessary to catch the board and pull the back wheels up. Could just be me, but I've found it easier to ollie over something than it is to just do it randomly as I ride. It gives me something to look at other than my feet, and reminds me that I have to be quick with the pop.

I spent about 30-45 mins at the park today just going back and forth, ollie-ing over someone's discarded shirt that was laying on the ground. Cracks, sticks, etc also do the trick (spent a good deal of time the past couple days popping over a small drain cover in the road out front of my house).

Upped the difficulty slightly when I got home and used a chunk of 2x4. It is definitely a bit harder in my driveway due to the large cracks every 2-3 board lengths, but I think it is helping my balance (just sucks when I occasionally land with my front wheels directly in a crack, sending me over the front).

Through together a clip of some of my practice this afternoon:

Nothing amazing, but considerably better than a couple weeks ago when I first started filming myself and actually working at my ollies.
JadedOlive
I like skateboarding

Postby micke » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:51 am

albatross wrote:I am getting absolutely nowhere with this trick! wanted to learn it so I could eventually teach my son but despite still being a reasonably athletic guy in my old age I just cannot get the board off the ground.

I am obviously doing something fundamentally wrong. Are there any drills I can do to help?

Don't worry about the son. He will learn in no time.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk
"You ride fucking indys bitch".
Coach Frank
micke
Bigger Geek

Postby richard phillips » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:18 pm

JadedOlive wrote:
balefulstare wrote:It's working for me. The last couple days something clicked and almost all my ollies look good and still not that high but higher. The biggest hangup I had I think was my back foot getting it the way, it just takes a light tap and immediately get it up out of the way almost like your wrist action when you're cracking a whip. I did a couple stationary ones today and they were both over 10 inches! I must say I kind of surprised myself.

It's funny, but sounds like I'm right there with you man! Just figured some of the same stuff out over the past few days as I really tried to break down what I was doing wrong. I found I was crouching too deep and for too long prior to popping. It was putting me off balance, so I started focusing on just that quick light tap and I started making some progress.

After working on getting my back foot out of the way quickly, I started straightening out my front foot slide, and have finally gotten that sort of "ankle roll" motion that is necessary to catch the board and pull the back wheels up. Could just be me, but I've found it easier to ollie over something than it is to just do it randomly as I ride. It gives me something to look at other than my feet, and reminds me that I have to be quick with the pop.

I spent about 30-45 mins at the park today just going back and forth, ollie-ing over someone's discarded shirt that was laying on the ground. Cracks, sticks, etc also do the trick (spent a good deal of time the past couple days popping over a small drain cover in the road out front of my house).

Upped the difficulty slightly when I got home and used a chunk of 2x4. It is definitely a bit harder in my driveway due to the large cracks every 2-3 board lengths, but I think it is helping my balance (just sucks when I occasionally land with my front wheels directly in a crack, sending me over the front).

Through together a clip of some of my practice this afternoon:

Nothing amazing, but considerably better than a couple weeks ago when I first started filming myself and actually working at my ollies.

nice pop you've very nearly got them its all about gauging the distance now, go for length rather than height and set out two sticks/chalk marks or similar :idea:. start with them close up and move them apart as you get better, the height thing kind of falls into place as you get more confidence 8) 8) 8) 8)
richard phillips
I got new wheels

Postby Tuhnafisch » Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:51 pm

Yeah from now on,it's just reps.
Do it again and again, your Ollie will improve the more you make them.top
German Guy with bad English but much Love for Skateboarding:)
Tuhnafisch
skate skate skate

Postby JadedOlive » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:32 pm

richard phillips wrote:nice pop you've very nearly got them its all about gauging the distance now, go for length rather than height and set out two sticks/chalk marks or similar :idea:. start with them close up and move them apart as you get better, the height thing kind of falls into place as you get more confidence 8) 8) 8) 8)

TuhnafischSKATER wrote:Yeah from now on,it's just reps.
Do it again and again, your Ollie will improve the more you make them.top

Thanks Gents!

Going for length is a good idea. Most of the times I didn't clear the 2x4 were when I was lacking speed. It's a bit hard to maintain speed while setting up right now in my driveway due to all the cracks. I'll have to find some chalk or something to bring to the park so I can start upping the distance. The random tshirt I found actually worked pretty well. Kicked it into a clear area and rolled it up to start, then spread it out so I had to get some more speed to clear it.

Almost forgot, but on my ride back to the parking lot yesterday I managed to clear the world's tiniest corner grass gap. Put a smile on my face!

You got it Tuhna! Going to be spending most of my free time rollin' and poppin'!!!
JadedOlive
I like skateboarding

Postby balefulstare » Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:51 am

Looking great! I haven't been attempting obstacles of any kind, that seems like a great idea. I'd post some more footage of my attempts but my ollies are kind of camera shy for some reason. I should just film all the time and that probably wouldn't happen.
balefulstare
I like skateboarding

Postby JadedOlive » Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:47 am

balefulstare wrote:Looking great! I haven't been attempting obstacles of any kind, that seems like a great idea. I'd post some more footage of my attempts but my ollies are kind of camera shy for some reason. I should just film all the time and that probably wouldn't happen.

Thanks man! Yeah I'd suggest trying to ollie over something, no matter how small. I'm finding it easier when I have my eyes on an object. It could just be that I'm not overthinking the other parts, but it definitely will help with the timing. At the park I usually just use one of the many scattered sticks!
JadedOlive
I like skateboarding

Postby Dav » Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:41 am

I have to agree with Jade, just something small to start with so you have something there that you have to pop over, and just keep at it until you know you're getting over it without any issues, then try popping over something bigger once you feel comfortable with the smaller object.

If I'm heading towards the ledge or rail at the local park, my eyes are fixated on the exact point I want to land on it, and 9 times out of 10 it works out nicely.

to get more height give the board a nice snappy pop and bend those legs right up, and then the board will follow.

Edit:

I forgot to say, but I've spoken to a couple of guys who bought those skatertrainer things, and they said that they make your board REALLY heavy when they're fitted, I'd just stick the wheel in a crack so it stays still to practise stationary ollies.
Dav
smell of grip tape

Return to Tricks - How To