Backside Disaster help!

This is the place to put all the 'How To' in

Backside Disaster help!

Postby Dav » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:40 pm

Can anyone here give me some tips on how to do back D's?

I've been trying to get them for quite a while now, 6+ months and I'm not getting anywhere with them, I've spoke to the local guys and they say all you do is revert as you're riding up the wall and that's all there is to it, when I try to revert into them I can never stick them at all, I either land on the coping all sketchy and lose my balance, or worse still the whole board ends up on the platform and I bail, I've seen other guys actually ollieing into them which looks real nice, but I haven't got the confidence to pop ollies yet, so if anyone has got tips on how I can get these things dialled in, that would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Dav
smell of grip tape

Re: Backside Disaster help!

Postby Nut » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:59 pm

No tips yet, but I'll try these next time out at the local.

I could do the scraped version bitd, I'll be re-learning them from new though.

I'm thinking - bonk the back wheels as you turn your shoulders into it.
Nut
nothing better to do

Postby haunted kneepad » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:00 am

might sound daft, but they are really easy to do from a blunt, just roll into a blunt and then pivot your board round and it falls into a back D
haunted kneepad
skate skate skate

Postby reckless toboggan » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:51 am

Crazy. I didn't know you could do a disaster without ollieing into it. Back when I could last do disasters I always ollied in. LearnEveryDamnDay
reckless toboggan
I got new wheels

Postby dave allen » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:47 pm

try to ride up and unweight and slide your back wheels up, into and over the coping. It's either that or just hit your tail and ollie up onto the board. You want to land somewhere in-between 130º and 140º from where you took off. Kind of 45º to the copingDon't go around to 180º from where you took off as this tends to make you over rotate on the re entry.
Good luck
dave allen
I skateboard

Postby Dav » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:05 pm

Cheers for the tips guys, I was out last night for a sesh but the park beside me gets all condensated which makes the surfaces way too slippy to skate on so I couldn't work on these, I'm going to try and get over through the day over the weekend if the weather holds up so I will try some of the things you guys have suggested.

Thanks again.

Edit:

I just reread my first post, when I said I haven't got the confidence to pop ollies, I meant on transition, I have no issues with ollieing onto ledges, rails etc, I just wanted to clear that up!!!!
Dav
smell of grip tape

Postby Red Beard » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:13 am

I've ended up with accidental b/s disasters a few times, while trying to whip a quick "three wheels out" kick turn or slash grind, but the unexpected landing on the coping always ends up with me bailing!
Always makes it seem like it should be easy to do a disaster but I can never work out how to go for it with purpose :x
Red Beard
nothing better to do

Postby warwick » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:02 am

It's after getting into the disaster position (ollieing or otherwise) that you need to do stuff. Rather than going straight in, it helps to shift your weight onto the back wheels and push them down onto the platform. Then shift your weight back into the ramp. It's like a see-saw movement

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
warwick
I need a LIFE!

Postby MikeK » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:34 pm

I find it helps to be conscious of not turning my shoulders. Keeping your upper body facing back into the transition keeps your board from over-rotating. If anything, you want the board to turn just under 180 when you've landed on the coping. Ollieing into it or just whipping it around, I find this part of it remains the same.
MikeK
smell of grip tape

Postby warwick » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:04 pm

What else? Weight on the back foot to push the tail down. Then lean in and put all your weight hard on your front foot (which you've shifted slightly forward in front of the truck bolts) so your board comes back in without even the wheels clipping the coping. Your back foot is so light at this point that it can even lift slightly from the deck. Also, learn it on a really small ramp first, and gradually work your way up to bigger ones.

warwick
I need a LIFE!

Postby TonyB » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:13 pm

Well there are a few video's about it on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... +trick+tip

The Answer to ALL bearing questions is Rockin Rons
What is the best soft wheel? Orange Rainskates Tsunami 85a duro (available in various sizes)
My Collection
TonyB
NERD!

Backside Disaster help!

Postby warwick » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:16 pm

This is what happens when you hang up on a disaster. I did this on a vert ramp a few years back. It's why you have to push it right down and then bring it in hard, so you don't clip the coping. Face first from 11ft. Just pushed my chin up in time to avoid splatting my nose.

warwick
I need a LIFE!

Return to Tricks - How To