Learn a Static Ollie without ever falling off !

This is the place to put all the 'How To' in

Learn a Static Ollie without ever falling off !

Postby Kernow49er » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:33 pm

I had an idea , tried it and it worked

I was ( and still am ) pretty hopeless at Ollies. My fear of flying off the board has hampered me all the way . Plus Im catching up after a 38 year break ! Brailleskateboarding has been a great source of knowledge on youtube

I tied a rope from a joist in the garage , put a loop in the end as a hand grip . This has given me something too hold on when it all goes wrong . Slowly I have started popping Ollies . Without the rope i would be covered in war wounds. Im now popping them without the rope or at least mixing it up between rope and no rope

Result !!

Its just my knees and calf muscles that are killing me now
Kernow49er
I skateboard

Re: Learn a Static Ollie without ever falling off !

Postby pete » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:30 pm

good idea....I think it was one of the brail skate videos where the dude practices stuff with one hand supported on something....

edit...just noticed you mentioned braille in your post...doh :lol:
pete
nothing better to do

Postby imboard » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:14 pm

you can use some tennis balls on your wheels that will stop them moving, thing is when you do start moving and doing an ollie, you wont have the rope to fall back on!
imboard
I skateboard

Postby Andrew_Culture » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:44 pm

Lordy, I hope you didn't scare anyone by going out to the garage to tie a loops to a joist!

Neat idea though :)
Andrew_Culture
I need a LIFE!

Postby Beigebomber » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:00 pm

The crossbar of a five-a-side footie pitch was my version of this.
Doesn´t like decks with dolphins or Bob Marley painted on.
Beigebomber
I got new wheels

Postby Jregsda33 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:50 pm

FIRST POST!!! So I'm 34 and just really got back into skating. I've taught myself to ollie by dropping the tailgate on my truck (welcome to oklahoma) and holding on there. It works great!
Jregsda33
I'm too scared to post more

Postby Andrew_Culture » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:44 pm

Jregsda33 wrote:FIRST POST!!! So I'm 34 and just really got back into skating. I've taught myself to ollie by dropping the tailgate on my truck (welcome to oklahoma) and holding on there. It works great!

That sounds awesome!
Andrew_Culture
I need a LIFE!

Postby doowyrag » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:11 am

Tailgate of pick-up truck > Crack in the pavement.

Excellent!
doowyrag
Super Geek

Postby balefulstare » Mon May 09, 2016 5:12 pm

Livingroom carpet works great too, when my wife isn't home natch.
I get more motivated by the phrase “Fuck it” than any other motivational phrase
balefulstare
I like skateboarding

Postby mjlally » Tue May 10, 2016 12:14 am

balefulstare wrote:Livingroom carpet works great too, when my wife isn't home natch.

I have been learning my ollies holding a fence at the park, but recently.. trying shuvits on the living room carpet with just a deck and also when my wife is out!
mjlally
am I a skate geek

Postby irishlostboy » Tue May 10, 2016 1:26 am

Dunno if it is a common stuff, but where I am there are outdoor exercise machines in a local park. the ground of the area has something that looks like tarmac, but is super spongy and springy rubber stuff. it is great to work on tricks as not only does it hold you from rolling a bit, is good to fall on, but it also helps with the pop. and of course some of the random exercise machines are good to hold on to while doing your ollies and flips etc.
irishlostboy
I got new wheels

Postby Andrew_Culture » Mon May 16, 2016 10:07 am

irishlostboy wrote:Dunno if it is a common stuff, but where I am there are outdoor exercise machines in a local park. the ground of the area has something that looks like tarmac, but is super spongy and springy rubber stuff. it is great to work on tricks as not only does it hold you from rolling a bit, is good to fall on, but it also helps with the pop. and of course some of the random exercise machines are good to hold on to while doing your ollies and flips etc.

I know the things you mean, what a great idea!
Andrew_Culture
I need a LIFE!

Postby #skatedog » Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:50 pm

I just bought some devices called skatertrainers , they attach to your wheels and enable you to practice without the deck coming out from under you. I think the idea is to get you used to doing it so that the muscle memory (well the new connections formed in your brain, muscles don't actually have memory) can function without too much conscious effort while you then try to learn the trick on the move, it also will I still a bit of confidence, just like the original poster with his hand loops
#skatedog
skate skate skate

Postby #skatedog » Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:50 pm

I just bought some devices called skatertrainers , they attach to your wheels and enable you to practice without the deck coming out from under you. I think the idea is to get you used to doing it so that the muscle memory (well the new connections formed in your brain, muscles don't actually have memory) can function without too much conscious effort while you then try to learn the trick on the move, it also will I still a bit of confidence, just like the original poster with his hand loops
#skatedog
skate skate skate

Postby Andrew_Culture » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:34 pm

#skatedog wrote:I just bought some devices called skatertrainers , they attach to your wheels and enable you to practice without the deck coming out from under you. I think the idea is to get you used to doing it so that the muscle memory (well the new connections formed in your brain, muscles don't actually have memory) can function without too much conscious effort while you then try to learn the trick on the move, it also will I still a bit of confidence, just like the original poster with his hand loops

How long have you had them and how are you getting on them?
Andrew_Culture
I need a LIFE!

Return to Tricks - How To