Fakie phobia

This is the place to put all the 'How To' in

Fakie phobia

Postby Kernow49er » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:12 am

I just can't seem to get rock to fakie on anything over 2 foot high, I'm stiff with fear and just can't stop myself bailing before it all goes tits up , my Drop ins and kick turns a pretty strong and I'm slashing my rear truck all day long , riding 5 and 8 foot quarters

So perhaps I should just ditch fakie and try Rock and rolls ? Anyone else had major issues but skipped and nailed R & R ?

All input appreciated as I'm a bit depressed today ! I've hit a big wall

Cheers Oz
Kernow49er
I skateboard

Re: Fakie phobia

Postby Plan9Customs » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:58 am

I was the opposite. Rock-fakie I re-learned the second try. But I just couldn't wrap my head around just b/s rocks. Finally got my b/s rocks back and still working on my f/s. It's all mental(I shouldn't be the one saying this since I keep jumping of feeble fakies!!!). It's just a case of getting sick of bailing and just going for it. I'll race you(if that helps motivate you. It helps me sometimes), you get Rock fakie and I'll get feeble fakie.
Plan9Customs
nothing better to do

Postby Kernow49er » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:44 am

Thanks for the feedback , difference is theres no relearning going on ,no muscle memory stored away in my brain , this is new to my body and mind

TBH I feel quite relieved that I have decided to put R 2 F on the back burner . I'm 49 years old and now back into this for around 14 weeks following a 38 year break . I quit in 1979 and I'm probably skating as well right now as I was then. I don't surf backwards and going backwards down a ramp and lifting my trucks over coping just feels wrong.

If I also fail at rock and rolls then I will be very miserable !
Kernow49er
I skateboard

Postby Mr J » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:30 am

ah, you mean rock-fakie phobia! The rock fakie is by far the most terrifying learning experience I have put myself through in my entire lifetime. Despite what some people say, my personal experience is that there is some technique involved - it is not all confidence and go for it. Technically it is easier than say an axle stall, but there is some technique involved nevertheless.

Comparing age and ability should never be seen as a benchmark, because everyones skate ability is different and even between skaters of similar ability a trick can be easy to one, but really difficult to another. So my statistics should be taken as interest only. I did learn the rock fakie in my mid/late forties, however the longest I stopped skating for was 15 yrs and during my time off skating I was obsessed with surfing. Skating in my late 30s was a strange thing to do in the 80s, but thats what I did.
4'th incarnation, age 58
Mr J
anorak alert

Postby warwick » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:12 am

Rock & rolls are much easier, because you can see where you're going. Best way to get rock fakes is to learn how to run out of them and get comfortable doing that, then leave it a bit later to bail until, eventually, you're ready to stay on it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
warwick
I need a LIFE!

Postby Raad » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:31 pm

I know exactly how you feel.

I've been stressing out over fakie rocks now for months.
Fine on a small ramp but on a 4,1/2' mini fell backwards straight onto my arse first few times, hurt so bad I needed a shit!
Since then I have a mental block on them. (my pal says its just because I'm a pussy)

I've started to make slow progress by rolling up to the coping and lifting front wheels above coping (in the air) and to fakie. Next step is the tap.
Raad
smell of grip tape

Postby Nut » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:00 pm

I'm in for this too.

Struggling with rock fakies anywhere 'away from home' so to speak.

We'll be on wood this Sunday so I'll use this thread as an excuse to sort it out.
Nut
nothing better to do

Postby misterbleepy » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:10 pm

I'm in the same boat as Kernow49er - never had these "back in the day" - and can only do them on a stupidly small 1/4 pipe ramp.
Watching carefully for tips etc...
Keith B. - still riding goofy
misterbleepy
Geek

Postby Kernow49er » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:43 pm

I'm in the fortunate position that we now the mini ramp in the garage, I've just spent an hour on it , despite the rain lashing down !! ( no improvement coping with the coping)

At 3 foot high with 6 foot 8 transition I'm just finding it too whippy and fast for my abilities , my 11 year olds boy has come miles in the space of a week, he's doing bloody foot plants and disasters . Little brat , all thanks to dads efforts with a chop saw.

I'm going to cut one side down to around 2 foot 3 or 2 foot 6 ,, , I will keep the off cut transition in such a manner as we can bolt it on and off as and when required , and screw the coping back in place .

The ramp was for both of us , he won't be happy but I have to mellow things before I really hurt myself !
Kernow49er
I skateboard

Postby Kernow49er » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:50 pm

misterbleepy wrote:I'm in the same boat as Kernow49er - never had these "back in the day" - and can only do them on a stupidly small 1/4 pipe ramp.
Watching carefully for tips etc...

When I met that big guy at Cocoa beach FL skatepark last October that completely inspired me to buy a board and pads , I was amazed to watch him grinding the coping at the deep end . I chatted with him and discovered that this chunky 45 year old had only been skating 2 years .

His words rang in my head

SMALL STEPS AT A TIME !

So we Keith we literally lower the bar and then raise it back up when we are ready ( ok where's my circular saw ? )
Kernow49er
I skateboard

Postby Brian S » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:18 pm

Rock to fakie's just feel so wrong, the few times I have attempted them once I put my board on top I kind of just freeze/panic so jump/fall off, wasn't a nice experience :shock:
Brian S
monuMENTAL GEEK

Postby tom.hoffman » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:07 pm

I don't do 'em. Refuse to try. Learned backside rock'n'rolls for the first time this summer.

The thing is, they don't even look like they're that much fun, so who cares?
tom.hoffman
I got new wheels

Postby Nut » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:33 pm

You need them for switch carving :)
Nut
nothing better to do

Postby Kernow49er » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:44 pm

Good answers ! Makes me feel better

I'm happy to ditch it and perhaps try rock and rolls .

Still think I need to take the saw to our ramp and cut it down to 2 foot 3 "" then fix the lid back on when I am ready
Kernow49er
I skateboard

Postby Plan9Customs » Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:34 am

Okay, I didn't know you just started skating so that changes things(although the mental part of it does still count, as with most stuff). I'll try to say what I know(be warned though, I'm not the best teacher!):
roll up with your feet about the middle(front-back) of the tail and just under or on the rear bolts of the front truck.
Unweight you front foot enough to lift the truck over the coping. When over, poke your front foot out and down until you wheels hit the deck or your board hits the coping. When on the coping keep you weight slightly more over your rear leg(so you have the weight centered over your rear foot and in the ramp, if that makes any sense). when coming back in unweight you front foot again enough to get the front truck up and over the coping again(about the same pressure as you did to get it over) but you hold it a hair longer to make sure your truck doesn't clip. Try not to stall them to long when learning and don't worry about getting your back truck to hit the coping yet. Just get your wheels on and try to keep it around the middle of your board when doing them. Thats enough that you won't easily clip when coming back in.
Like I said I kind of suck at explaining things. One thing I would suggest is if you son can do them or anyone here that you skate with, try watching them and then having them watch you. They'll probably be more helpful since they can see whats going on or not.
If you pass on learning them don't worry about it. Good luck!

*EDIT* this will probably help make some sense of the gibberish I wrote hopefully:
Last edited by Plan9Customs on Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Plan9Customs
nothing better to do

Postby Plan9Customs » Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:36 am

They work well for getting into fakie disasters, tail stall reverts, thrusters, etc., etc.
They do come in handy, but aren't necessary.
Plan9Customs
nothing better to do

Postby Kernow49er » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:01 am

Plan9Customs wrote:They work well for getting into fakie disasters, tail stall reverts, thrusters, etc., etc.
They do come in handy, but aren't necessary.

Mans gotta know his limitations , I don't think I will ever do the tricks you refer too, I've come so far in 3 months , gone from first drop on for 38 years too comfortably dropping and kick turning the 8 foot ramp , carving around a bowl and I genuinly have the 14 foot vert in my sights,

Mild arthritis in both knees makes getting up And down the stairs a creaky affair so I should count my blessings

Axel stall , 50 - 5050 - rock and roll perhaps , fakies. Perhaps not !
Kernow49er
I skateboard

Postby Andrew_Culture » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:41 am

I had no idea what this move was called, but having just learned to drop in on low ramps I had it next on my hit list.

I don't want to fall on my bum so hard I have to shit!
Andrew_Culture
I need a LIFE!

Postby Beigebomber » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:02 am

I get the impression from the original post that he knows how to *do* them, but can't work up the nerve to do them on bigger ramps.

Only help I can offer is to slap the platform with your hand as you go over the coping. It gets you down low, then as you start to drift back into the the pit, you can drag your hand a little as you go back down. It's just psychological, really, makes you think you've got a chance to grab onto something if it goes wrong.

OK, so it ends up that your rock to fakie is really crouched low, and is a bit ape-like compared to a nice upright, standing-above-the-lip one, but you can work up to those once your confidence is sorted.

If the worst comes to the worst and you really can't get them, you can always just grab onto the nose of your deck as you roll up to the coping. Keep hold of it as you roll back down, staying hunkered up the whole way. If you think about it - a rock to fakie is pretty much what'll happen if you just come at a coping straight and fast, and do sod all. Yeah, a *good* one has the lean back and tap to it, but those can come later.
Doesn´t like decks with dolphins or Bob Marley painted on.
Beigebomber
I got new wheels

Postby Kernow49er » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:16 am

Beigebomber wrote:I get the impression from the original post that he knows how to *do* them, but can't work up the nerve to do them on bigger ramps.

Only help I can offer is to slap the platform with your hand as you go over the coping. It gets you down low, then as you start to drift back into the the pit, you can drag your hand a little as you go back down. It's just psychological, really, makes you think you've got a chance to grab onto something if it goes wrong.

OK, so it ends up that your rock to fakie is really crouched low, and is a bit ape-like compared to a nice upright, standing-above-the-lip one, but you can work up to those once your confidence is sorted.

If the worst comes to the worst and you really can't get them, you can always just grab onto the nose of your deck as you roll up to the coping. Keep hold of it as you roll back down, staying hunkered up the whole way. If you think about it - a rock to fakie is pretty much what'll happen if you just come at a coping straight and fast, and do sod all. Yeah, a *good* one has the lean back and tap to it, but those can come later.

Interesting to read about staying low and grabbing the nose , worth consideration , I've decided to move on and go for rock N rolls now .if only because tail stall looks even harder and if I do sort rock to fakies I then have to deal with all that momentum on the opposite side of the ramp !
Kernow49er
I skateboard

Postby Beigebomber » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:09 pm

Kernow49er wrote: I've decided to move on and go for rock N rolls now .if only because tail stall looks even harder and if I do sort rock to fakies I then have to deal with all that momentum on the opposite side of the ramp !

Now *those* I can't do at all.
Doesn´t like decks with dolphins or Bob Marley painted on.
Beigebomber
I got new wheels

Postby rexmtl » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:37 pm

Hello all, Very late to chime in on this - wish I had looked for this before! could have helped me a lot lol
I just recently nailed the Rock to Fakie but it took two + months of trying (off & on)
I can really relate to the awkwardness and fear\freeze factor many of you are describing. I can try and offer what I learned - maybe it will help someone :-)

a) When starting, no need lift your front trucks over the coping (it makes thinks tougher) - just let them roll over. Try your best to just get JUST enough speed to get the trucks over and not by too much. The farther you have the trucks in and up on the deck, the tougher it is to bring it back when rolling back into the transition.
b) As soon as they are over the coping- focus on three things 1) knees are bent! 2) turn your head and look over your shoulder and down the transition in the direction you are about to roll back into 3) Keep your shoulders over your board (parallel) - if you turn your shoulders, your body will follow.

On the first couple of attempts, just take step by step. i.e. Just roll the trucks over coping , bend knees, look down and focus on shoulder being over board as explained above - then BAIL ; Then do it again, but lift trucks back in onto transition - then BAILThen do the same thing but try and stay on a bit longer -- then BAIL and so on until you nail it.

Like I said, it's just kind of what finally worked for me... Hope this helps a little :-)
rexmtl
skate skate skate

Postby Toon » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:07 pm

Rock fakies are frightening, I've been skating a month after 20 years off (42) thought I had them on lock, on my local 4ft mini, then.......

rock fakie to hip plant on ramp flat.

Dont wanna scare yous, Im still going to do them, just more carefully. Its such a rush when you do one.

I started by by just doingbefore the coping
(a front lift and tap front wheels>>little manual on back wheels>>fakie roll )

By far the safest way to learn them, build up to the coping. WHen you go for it, be confident and just hang your trucks over a bit 1st, before slapping half ya board over.

I wish i had a 2ft quarter to learn lip tricks, 4ft and steep is scary.
https://www.instagram.com/richy_skates/
Toon
skate skate skate

Postby SidcupSlam » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:58 pm

Nice wound Toon - you will most definitely get a return on your investment with those POC padded shorts! That's what my hip looked like most of the time before I started wearing them.

On the subject of rock to fakies, I'm currently relearning them as I also had a fear of hangup and my success rate was 50/50. I've found the secret is keep all of your weight in the transition and really push the nose of the deck forward. With your weight safely inside the transition as opposed over the coping, or worse over the platform, lifting the nose and coming back down the transition into fakie feels a lot more stable, plus it looks pretty stylish as well.

Once you get confident with this, you can adapt it to do nice looking rock n rolls where you can pause in the rock position for a while before pulling the 180 out of it.

There's a world of possibilities that open up on mini ramps once you master the rock to fakie so its definitely worth putting the extra effort into really mastering it.

SidcupSlam
I skateboard

Return to Tricks - How To