Dropping in on the corner of a bowl?

This is the place to put all the 'How To' in

Dropping in on the corner of a bowl?

Postby AWSucks » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:31 pm

Do you guys think its ok to drop in on a corner of a bowl? The place I slammed hard has more mellow corners to try dropping in on. Is this a good idea to get the drop in down and then move to a flat part of the bowl?
AWSucks
smell of grip tape

Re: Dropping in on the corner of a bowl?

Postby Brian S » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:41 pm

yeah, dropping into corners of a bowl is OK, just looks a bit odd, but some do avoid & aim for the flat walls only
Brian S
monuMENTAL GEEK

Postby pete » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:44 pm

yeah as long as you go in a straight line out the corner its the same as everywhere else, mentally its a bit odd at first but no more difficult :)
pete
nothing better to do

Postby Brian S » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:47 pm

if you want a freaky challenge try dropping in on hips, just looks so wrong & narrow! :lol:
Brian S
monuMENTAL GEEK

Postby AWSucks » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:02 pm

Ok thanks guys. You can see the corner I want to try here https://youtu.be/TcTGj5O6I7k
Plus you can see me slamming a bunch of times....I gave up! But someone on Youtube mentioned trying to drop in on a corner and I have been back to the scene of the crime to look at the bowl and the corners look more mellow. Same height just slightly less steep at the top sort of like a place I have dropped in already. It bugs me I havent been able to drop here because the transition overall is pretty mellow but it ate me up when I tried it.
I hurt my bone pretty bad but I didn't realize it at the time. I had a lump right on the long bone thats to the right of my kneecap. Bone bruising? It took a month for it to go down. And I had a tendon overuse stretch/tear that is finally healing. I'm going to give it another month and then try the drop in at the corner. Until then I'm going to just walk into the middle and try pumping it like a half pipe.
AWSucks
smell of grip tape

Postby Nut » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:37 pm

AWSucks wrote:Ok thanks guys. You can see the corner I want to try here https://youtu.be/TcTGj5O6I7k
Plus you can see me slamming a bunch of times....I gave up! But someone on Youtube mentioned trying to drop in on a corner and I have been back to the scene of the crime to look at the bowl and the corners look more mellow. Same height just slightly less steep at the top sort of like a place I have dropped in already. It bugs me I havent been able to drop here because the transition overall is pretty mellow but it ate me up when I tried it.
I hurt my bone pretty bad but I didn't realize it at the time. I had a lump right on the long bone thats to the right of my kneecap. Bone bruising? It took a month for it to go down. And I had a tendon overuse stretch/tear that is finally healing. I'm going to give it another month and then try the drop in at the corner. Until then I'm going to just walk into the middle and try pumping it like a half pipe.

Are they not the same? :)

Relax a bit as you put your board over the coping, shake it out.
Check your front foot position, take an extra second to place it and square it up.

At that height, dropping into flat walls, corners and hips are all pretty much the same. Only really avoid capsules and other fiddly bits.

Looking good
Nut
nothing better to do

Postby AWSucks » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:25 am

Nut wrote:
AWSucks wrote:Ok thanks guys. You can see the corner I want to try here https://youtu.be/TcTGj5O6I7k

Are they not the same? :)

Relax a bit as you put your board over the coping, shake it out.
Check your front foot position, take an extra second to place it and square it up.

At that height, dropping into flat walls, corners and hips are all pretty much the same. Only really avoid capsules and other fiddly bits.

Looking good

Hahahahaha...nice side by side shot! Yeah they do look the same but the blue bowl "Vanderhoof" in Toronto (lots of vids on youtube on it) is about a foot higher and is a slightly steeper transition. But your right not much higher at all... I thought I had it in the bag..lol.

I was there yesterday looking at it and it doesn't seem that bad at all...especially at the corner which I may try again this year. It's also a great spot to pump back and forth like a half pipe too.

AWSucks
smell of grip tape

Postby pete » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:28 am

there's nothing wrong with just pumping around at the blue place for a while longer getting used the transition and continue to drop in at the other place.

the more you do both you'll just get more and more comfortable doing both until dropping into the blue one will just happen.

one thing I did notice from the #5 video is when you go up a transition fakie you have a habit of flexing at the waist to keep your upper body upright. Its a really bad habit, you need to keep you body parallel to the transition you're on at the time, so upright on flats (obviously) but angled on transitions (if that makes sense) Always stay upright in relation to the angle of the board, not the ground.
pete
nothing better to do

Postby AWSucks » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:27 pm

Yeah I noticed I do that too bending at the waist too much mainly when facing the quarter pipe. The thing is if you don't bend at the waist on the high quarter pipes you would be at 90 degrees to the transition at the highest point.
I guess thats where more knee bending and getting lower on the board comes in. But if I dont bend my waist a bit I feel like I will fall and how can you do a rock n roll on a high quarter ?
AWSucks
smell of grip tape

Postby pete » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:56 pm

yeah, to say that you stay perpendicular to the board is a slight exaggeration but its more where you need to be heading.

if you put rock fakie into google and click on images it will show you the angle that people are when they do it :)
pete
nothing better to do

Postby Vintage Skater » Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:12 pm

The spot you are dropping in at the Hoof is a tougher one for a beginner. What is likely throwing you off is having to react quickly to the opposite wall with the hip which is coming at you pretty fast from that angle. I would learn to drop in from far east side of the bowl shallow end between the curved walls. That way you have loads of room to roll at a leisurely pace and plenty of time to decide on next move once you are in the bottom of bowl. :D
Vintage Skater
smell of grip tape

Postby mjlally » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:39 pm

Vintage Skater wrote:The spot you are dropping in at the Hoof is a tougher one for a beginner. What is likely throwing you off is having to react quickly to the opposite wall with the hip which is coming at you pretty fast from that angle. I would learn to drop in from far east side of the bowl shallow end between the curved walls. That way you have loads of room to roll at a leisurely pace and plenty of time to decide on next move once you are in the bottom of bowl. :D

I'd agree with this. I don't mind dropping in off corners or even where the coping is at an angle like on a taco, but if the opposite wall is too close I find it intimidating as I know I will have very little time to react before hitting the opposite wall.

To get myself dropping off steeper stuff, I use an app on my phone to measure the angle. Not to everybody's taste but works for me! Sometimes it helps if I know it's only a couple of degrees steeper than stuff I've gone off already. Sometimes it just looks too steep by eye and I leave it.
mjlally
am I a skate geek

Postby mr_sooty » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:03 am

It's just a mental thing. You only failed those drop ins because you took your back foot off, because you thought you were going to fail. Some people find bending down and touching the nose helps them keep their weight forward, but really I don't think you're doing too much wrong. You can see you're just way more relaxed and confident at the second park, and that's really probably the only difference. I much prefer dropping in on flat walls though, curved walls are less consistent, I'd stick to the flat wall if I was you.
mr_sooty
I like skateboarding

Postby Andrew_Culture » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:51 am

Great to have you here!

There's some great advice on this thread, and I don't have any to add but wanted to say hello as I recognised you from a comment you made on one of my vids :)
Andrew_Culture
I need a LIFE!

Postby duck » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:20 am

the one thing I find difficult about dropping in from curved edges is that they quite often tend to point towards the drain! Other than that, it's all in the mind. The amount of parallel (left-ot-right) curvature of the actual piece of surface you're riding (whether a concave corner or convex like a hip) is completely negligible if you keep a straight line down the transition. The perpendicular curvature is really the only factor.
Amateur skate videos from somerset and beyond: http://youtube.com/robotduckvideo
duck
am I a skate geek

Postby Mark SE4 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:43 pm

I'd second what Pete said, keep dropping in at the smaller place and ride the blue place as much as poss, you'll get comfortable enough soon. I find dropping in corners almost impossible, freaks my brain out as none of it's straight but saying that, I can do it some places no bother. As Duck say's, it's all in the mind.

Not sure if this is good advice but I think I find keeping your knee's bent but strong when you get to the bottom of the transition helps, if that makes sense. Anyone else please correct me if I'm wrong.

Keep it up anyway, you're really close and you will get it.
Mark SE4
I skateboard

Postby Vintage Skater » Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:57 pm

I skate the "blue bowl" at least 3 times a week. Learned to skate there last year when I got into skating. At one point 6 weeks in last summer cracked skull open 6 stitches very close to where he is dropping in. The issue with dropping in at this spot is not so much the curve. More the hip straight across from here. Not much option except to fly over the hip from this angle. Not a big deal but pretty well impossible for someone just starting off.... All he needs to do is drop from flat wall far shallow end of bowl where he can roll for 50 feet if desired without hitting another wall. Then take it from there... I think better off skating a park with banks first to get the feel of rolling over and pumping transitions... Or just scoot around bottom of bowl until getting higher on the wall then go for drop ins... :idea: Keep it up!
Vintage Skater
smell of grip tape

Postby AWSucks » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:52 pm

Vintage Skater wrote:The spot you are dropping in at the Hoof is a tougher one for a beginner. What is likely throwing you off is having to react quickly to the opposite wall with the hip which is coming at you pretty fast from that angle. I would learn to drop in from far east side of the bowl shallow end between the curved walls. That way you have loads of room to roll at a leisurely pace and plenty of time to decide on next move once you are in the bottom of bowl. :D

Thanks VS. I have been to the Hoof a bunch of times to watch. I probably talked to you there. I'm always in camo army pants of some kind if you see me.
AWSucks
smell of grip tape

Postby AWSucks » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:53 pm

mjlally wrote:

I'd agree with this. I don't mind dropping in off corners or even where the coping is at an angle like on a taco, but if the opposite wall is too close I find it intimidating as I know I will have very little time to react before hitting the opposite wall.

To get myself dropping off steeper stuff, I use an app on my phone to measure the angle. Not to everybody's taste but works for me! Sometimes it helps if I know it's only a couple of degrees steeper than stuff I've gone off already. Sometimes it just looks too steep by eye and I leave it.

Hahahaha...what app is that?
AWSucks
smell of grip tape

Postby AWSucks » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:56 pm

Andrew_Culture wrote:Great to have you here!

There's some great advice on this thread, and I don't have any to add but wanted to say hello as I recognised you from a comment you made on one of my vids :)

Hi Andrew! I basically came here because you recommended it to me. Great place with lots of great guys and support. (AW)
AWSucks
smell of grip tape

Postby AWSucks » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:02 pm

Mark SE4 wrote:I'd second what Pete said, keep dropping in at the smaller place and ride the blue place as much as poss, you'll get comfortable enough soon. I find dropping in corners almost impossible, freaks my brain out as none of it's straight but saying that, I can do it some places no bother. As Duck say's, it's all in the mind.

Not sure if this is good advice but I think I find keeping your knee's bent but strong when you get to the bottom of the transition helps, if that makes sense. Anyone else please correct me if I'm wrong.

Keep it up anyway, you're really close and you will get it.

Thanks brother!...it really doesn't look too bad of a drop. If I can get that drop eventually, I want to get this one! Real pool style bowl and the drop is very abrupt.

Last edited by AWSucks on Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
AWSucks
smell of grip tape

Postby Andrew_Culture » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:48 am

AWSucks wrote:
Andrew_Culture wrote:Great to have you here!

Hi Andrew! I basically came here because you recommended it to me. Great place with lots of great guys and support. (AW)

Huzzah!
Andrew_Culture
I need a LIFE!

Return to Tricks - How To