How to drop in

Re: How to drop in

Postby Jimbo » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:40 am

marki3boy wrote:Yet another option is to just drop in.

If you read what the OP has written, this is exactly what he's doing.
Save money on softer bushings by eating more food and drinking more beer.
Jimbo
nothing better to do

Postby marki3boy » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:17 pm

Jimbo wrote:
marki3boy wrote:Yet another option is to just drop in.

If you read what the OP has written, this is exactly what he's doing.

That was my response to your video suggestion, that's why it came after your post.

I've got nothing against the very analytical methods that some of you using to try to master this big step in improving your skating, but it's just not for me.

IMO the only thinking that helps when you drop in is what your first trick is going to be on the next wall.
The bowl demands an offering of pain — today I paid the concrete price.
http://face-plant-44.blogspot.co.uk
marki3boy
I got new wheels

Postby Beigebomber » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:51 pm

Just nailed the drop.

Yeah, I know things can get a bit over-analytical sometimes. But the thing is, it wasn't a fear factor problem. I was committing fine, if not too much. Wouldn't have cut my chin open if I'd been under-committed. So it actually *was* something I was doing wrong, physically.

So, because this thread is about learning how to drop into ramps, and not a place designed for me to chart my personal progress, let's get to the thing that I did learn, that might be useful for others:

It's not all about commitment. You have to focus on where you want you and your board to go. That's not actually 'down'. In my case, once I started focussing on the bottom of the opposite transition, my body kinda got the message and timed its movements to bring me there. When I was looking down at the bottom of the ramp, that's where I ended up (with a fully compressed body that wasn't soaking up any feedback from the ramp, and so, going sideways).

Video might have helped. But Marky3boy is also right - thinking about getting up the transition and what you want to do then, is important too.

Sorry to turn this into a ever-ending thread. I really appreciate the feedback I've been given. Both were a big help. Can I just say one ore thing?

God, it felt GOOD!
Doesn´t like decks with dolphins or Bob Marley painted on.
Beigebomber
I got new wheels

Postby marki3boy » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:11 pm

Excellent, well done.
The bowl demands an offering of pain — today I paid the concrete price.
http://face-plant-44.blogspot.co.uk
marki3boy
I got new wheels

Postby Kamaki » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:25 pm

Drop ins for me next. Last time I tried I had just done a drop in from four wheels, not a roll in (if that makes sense) I went from doing that on a flat bank to trying to drop in on the tail on a 1/4 (I was still pumped from the previous success). Needless to say I ate s**t, twisted my ankle and hobbled home! Great fun :D
I've come to enjoy the art of falling.
Kamaki
nothing better to do

Postby Trev » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:40 pm

After 20 minutes standing on the coping shitting it, I finally managed to drop in to the bowl at the Level on Sunday morning. Then it totally pissed down and I was forced to go home which I was kind of pleased about if I'm honest as I was shaking!
Trev
skate skate skate

Postby Alec » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:01 pm

Trev wrote:After 20 minutes standing on the coping shitting it, I finally managed to drop in to the bowl at the Level on Sunday morning. Then it totally pissed down and I was forced to go home which I was kind of pleased about if I'm honest as I was shaking!

Well done.

(AW)
andre wrote: the 8 is a different beast altogether. you won't be thinking about truck geometry when you're just trying not to get killed. :mrgreen:
Alec
No fingers left from posting .... what a

Postby Skinnychris » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:16 pm

Well done dude!!

Sent from Lumia 925 using Tapatalk
Growing old is inevitable.....growing up is optional
Skinnychris
I got new wheels

Postby Lofat » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:37 pm

Trev wrote:After 20 minutes standing on the coping shitting it, I finally managed to drop in to the bowl at the Level on Sunday morning. Then it totally pissed down and I was forced to go home which I was kind of pleased about if I'm honest as I was shaking!

(AW) well done feller, keep at it, maybe warm up on the smaller stuff then go back to it on the next visit ..-
Lofat
am I a skate geek

Postby Trev » Thu May 01, 2014 1:29 pm

Lofat wrote:

(AW) well done feller, keep at it, maybe warm up on the smaller stuff then go back to it on the next visit ..-

Cheers! I went back yesterday as it goes and managed it a few more times with no probs. Now I just need to keep up the momentum in the bowl, I slow down really quickly
Trev
skate skate skate

Postby Adrianw34 » Fri May 02, 2014 4:19 pm

been wondering
...is it possible to over commit and put too much pressure on front and go over? Is this a common occurence...never seen it and haven't seen it mentioned.
just thinking of how much to commit body forward.
Adrianw34
am I a skate geek

Postby j roach » Fri May 02, 2014 5:00 pm

Adrianw34 wrote:been wondering
...is it possible to over commit and put too much pressure on front and go over? Is this a common occurence...never seen it and haven't seen it mentioned.
just thinking of how much to commit body forward.

Cant put too much pressure on front foot as such (unless you intend to stand only on that foot :shock: ) but you can certainly lean too far forward and go over face first. You don't really want to let your head and lead shoulder get in front of your front foot.
j roach
nothing better to do

Postby Adrianw34 » Fri May 02, 2014 5:39 pm

cheers, that sounds like a sensible tip. Will try to remember when practicing
Adrianw34
am I a skate geek

Postby northernlight » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:40 pm

I would highly recommend waching the video "Tony Hawk Teaches How to Drop-In on Vert" on youtube (v=bvdfBnmqjbk).
If you set playback speed to 0.25 you get a good slo-mo on how incredibly compressed and centered he is all the way down.
northernlight
I'm too scared to post more

Postby northernlight » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:59 pm

I summed up what represented 95% of the youtube slams with this side-by-side framegrab of Tony Hawk vs random slammer
Note:
- Knees 90 degrees vs knees slightly bent
- Hawks torso is very close to knee but head is still behind the tip of his board due to back knee bent. With a stiff back leg your head will shoot forward. I do this error myself.
- Hands low and trailing hand behind tail of board - vs opening shoulders and high arms aka freefalling.
- I did'nt find one slam where skater was grabbing the nose.. *hint*

https://imgur.com/a/YRV6A
northernlight
I'm too scared to post more

Postby fftc » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:17 pm

Great job on the photo essay northernlight. Really helps explain what's going on.
fftc
I skateboard

Postby TonyB » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:51 pm

Nicely illustrated northernlight

The Answer to ALL bearing questions is Rockin Rons
What is the best soft wheel? Orange Rainskates Tsunami 85a duro (available in various sizes)
My Collection
TonyB
NERD!

Postby balefulstare » Wed May 23, 2018 8:19 pm

I've always understood that it's impossible to put too much weight on your front foot but when I finally got up the nerve to do the deed I'm thinking that's what happened. It all happened so fast it's hard to be sure though, all I remember is my front wheels clacking down hard then the next thing I know my face is two inches from the flat. (same thing twice in a row) Either that or it could have been wheel bite, either way i'm even more scared now and not sure if i'll be able to make another attempt. I did half a dozen perches at the top and chickened out today. :oops:
I get more motivated by the phrase “Fuck it” than any other motivational phrase
balefulstare
I like skateboarding

Postby pete » Thu May 24, 2018 12:43 pm

its certainly possible to put too much weight on the front foot...if you put a lot of weight on it then naturally your body and more importantly your head will be infront of the board which is likely to result in you going over the front... you need to distribute weight equally on both feet.
pete
nothing better to do

Postby warwick » Thu May 24, 2018 2:33 pm

I think you can go over the front if you’re quite upright. If you crouch right down as you go in you’re much more stable

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
warwick
I need a LIFE!

Postby balefulstare » Fri May 25, 2018 4:34 am

warwick wrote:I think you can go over the front if you’re quite upright. If you crouch right down as you go in you’re much more stable

Reading northernlights analysis of Tony Hawks body position and actually watching some slo-mo of T.H. dropping-in that sounds the most likely scenario (though I can't really remember what my body position was like). As soon as he tips over his body gets really compact & low. I'm gonna try again tomorrow.
balefulstare
I like skateboarding

Postby balefulstare » Sat May 26, 2018 7:52 pm

OK, I did it! So after doing it many times in a row until I was completely comfortable with them I noticed it IS about slamming your wheels down hard AND keeping your body low and loose and not too far forward and not too far back. This might sound like a 'well duh' thing but until you actually work it out it really isn't.
balefulstare
I like skateboarding

Postby warwick » Sat May 26, 2018 10:34 pm

Well done! If you go down low enough you should find your front hand close to the nose of your board

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
warwick
I need a LIFE!

Postby Noidear » Sun May 27, 2018 8:51 am

Yes well done. The trick I found that worked for me was to get in a routine of touching the nose of my board with my leading hand and that way I found myself crouching a bit with my shoulder and weight in the correct position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.
Noidear
I got new wheels

Postby MAMOS » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:05 pm

I dropped in for the first time this week. Not on a vert ramp but it is a start

mamos
MAMOS
What mid life crisis ?

Postby misterbleepy » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:07 am

MAMOS wrote:I dropped in for the first time this week. Not on a vert ramp but it is a start

mamos

Well done :thumbsup:

still riding goofy
Keith B. - still riding goofy
misterbleepy
Geek

Previous

Return to How To - Ramp Tricks