BEARING SPACERS

How to do anything with your board and wheels eg. Cleaning bearings, changing trucks

BEARING SPACERS

Postby UNCLE CHUFTY » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:21 pm

I've just been told that because 101A wheels are hard, I don't need bearing spacers. That can't be right , can it?
cheers,UNCLE CHUFTY
UNCLE CHUFTY
What mid life crisis ?

Re: BEARING SPACERS

Postby Brian S » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:42 am

I always use spacers, it helps the bearing run true, fast when cranked down & helps prevent damage to them from unnecessary movement/forces, but some however just love their wheels to wobble a lot & don't mind replacing bearings more frequently which tends to be the result of no spacers :lol:
Brian S
monuMENTAL GEEK

Postby TonyB » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:55 am

Always use the spacers even if you have hard wheels. Unless you have a plastic mounded bearing seat/core set in to the urethane there will be a bit of flex. Spacers maintain the correct load through the centre of the bearing and keep it true to axle and should allow you to tighten the axle nut fully so you have no sideways slop of the wheel on the axle.

The Answer to ALL bearing questions is Rockin Rons
What is the best soft wheel? Orange Rainskates Tsunami 85a duro (available in various sizes)
My Collection
TonyB
NERD!

Postby Woody » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:28 am

UNCLE CHUFTY wrote:I've just been told that because 101A wheels are hard, I don't need bearing spacers. That can't be right , can it?
cheers,UNCLE CHUFTY

What a load of bolloxs the duro has fuck all to do with spacers and whoever told you that is a dick.
The part of the bearing that touch the spacer never even touch the wheel

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
MAS, run by skateboarders for skateboarders and paid for by skateboarders.
Big Woodys Skate Shop
Woody
Skate Bully

Postby UNCLE CHUFTY » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:49 am

Cheers for that boys . I'm with you on the use of bearing spacers. In theory it means you can tighten the bearings on the axle, without the centres trying to draw in on each other.
By the way , it was the black sheep ebay store that gave me that answer. As for the insant answer of Bollox, couldn't agree more, UNCLE CHUFTY
UNCLE CHUFTY
What mid life crisis ?

Postby dorsetvdubster » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:43 pm

I'm so glad I read this thread yesterday as I totally forgot about spacers - the only way I could get my wheels to spin was to back of the nut. Spacers fitted this morning and all is good!!! ~..
Last edited by dorsetvdubster on Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dorsetvdubster
smell of grip tape

Postby UNCLE CHUFTY » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:24 pm

Cool, Glad it helped!
UNCLE CHUFTY
UNCLE CHUFTY
What mid life crisis ?

Postby moo-mop » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:11 pm

UNCLE CHUFTY wrote:In theory it means you can tighten the bearings on the axle, without the centres trying to draw in on each other, UNCLE CHUFTY

How well do people find this actually works? I’m finding that even with spacers I have to loosen the nuts slightly to get the wheels to spin freely. Noticed this on both the set ups I have (which have different wheels, trucks, bearings). From what I can understand that isn’t how it should be?
moo-mop
What mid life crisis ?

Postby dorsetvdubster » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:23 pm

There are 8mm and 10mm spacers available - perhaps you need the tens?
dorsetvdubster
smell of grip tape

Postby Brian S » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:19 pm

moo-mop wrote:
UNCLE CHUFTY wrote:In theory it means you can tighten the bearings on the axle, without the centres trying to draw in on each other, UNCLE CHUFTY

How well do people find this actually works? I’m finding that even with spacers I have to loosen the nuts slightly to get the wheels to spin freely. Noticed this on both the set ups I have (which have different wheels, trucks, bearings). From what I can understand that isn’t how it should be?

If you can't get fairly free spinning wheels with spacers & cranked down, then other issues may be at play, as above incorrect sized spacer, poor slightly off bearing seat in a wheel (had some once that actually ran wonky, visibly oscillating they were replaced :lol: ) , a foreign object in the wheel/bearing space, A poor quality/duff , worn, or dirty bearing, enjoy! :D

However some do like a loose wobbly rattly wheel, but your bearing's will most likely need to be replaced much more often with the forces put upon them :lol:
Brian S
monuMENTAL GEEK

Postby Krammer » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:51 pm

I've just been told that because 101A wheels are hard, I don't need bearing spacers. That can't be right , can it?
cheers,UNCLE CHUFTY

:shock: :shock: :roll:
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain
Krammer
am I a skate geek

Postby JimBin » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:26 pm

moo-mop wrote:How well do people find this actually works? I’m finding that even with spacers I have to loosen the nuts slightly to get the wheels to spin freely. Noticed this on both the set ups I have (which have different wheels, trucks, bearings). From what I can understand that isn’t how it should be?

Doesn't sound right. Are you using the washers that came with the trucks?
JimBin
I got new wheels

Postby Brian S » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:34 pm

JimBin wrote:
moo-mop wrote:How well do people find this actually works? I’m finding that even with spacers I have to loosen the nuts slightly to get the wheels to spin freely. Noticed this on both the set ups I have (which have different wheels, trucks, bearings). From what I can understand that isn’t how it should be?

Doesn't sound right. Are you using the washers that came with the trucks?

Yeah, forgot, speed rings make a difference as well, one at each side per wheel, Goffy @ Todtwist does a good cheap set, we all use em & has solved a couple of peoples niggles :)
Brian S
monuMENTAL GEEK

Postby moo-mop » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:47 am

Yes, I’m using the washers that came with the trucks. “Speed rings” is just another term for those right?
I will have a closer look when I get a chance, but pretty sure I have the right parts. On each axel I have washer, bearing, bearing spacer, bearing, washer, nut.
moo-mop
What mid life crisis ?

Postby misterbleepy » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:20 am

Are your spacers 8mm or 10mm wide?
8mm are for rollerskate wheels, 10mm for skateboard wheels.
I have a couple of wheelsets where the bearing seats must be slightly wider apart than 10mm - you could chuck an extra speedring into the mix next to the spacer, or buy slightly longer spacers (I think some longboard companies did or do these).
Keith B. - still riding goofy
misterbleepy
Geek

Postby Brian S » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:22 am

moo-mop wrote:Yes, I’m using the washers that came with the trucks. “Speed rings” is just another term for those right?
I will have a closer look when I get a chance, but pretty sure I have the right parts. On each axel I have washer, bearing, bearing spacer, bearing, washer, nut.

The speed rings are just a better version than is supplied with some trucks who do skimp on them a bit with very thin cheapo one's, well worth a try for £1.95 all in for a set of 8, cheaper if you buy more.
Brian S
monuMENTAL GEEK

Postby reckless toboggan » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:33 pm

I use spacers and speed rings. I crank them down and then back them off about an eighth to quarter of a turn.

The wheels spin freely. There is no side to side play of the wheel when you push or pull the wheel along the axle line. But there is a bit of wiggle as the ball bearings move side to side in the races, which occurs when you push and pull the opposite sidewalls of the wheel, as if you were trying to rotate the wheel perpendicular to the direction it rolls/the truck axle. That is normal and allows for heat expansion.

Primarily ride G3's.

The only bearing (aside from long board stuff) that I've been able to crank down and not back off was Bones Swiss. But at over $100 per setup, and with the quiver I have amassed, putting Bones Swiss in every set up is cost prohibitive. Especially when I'm more than happy with the G3's.
reckless toboggan
I got new wheels

Postby Brian S » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:19 pm

Most bearings I've used in recent times I can crank down OK & free spin, inc VXB Ceramic (around £20), Bones Ceramic reds, Bronson G3's, Z-Flex
Brian S
monuMENTAL GEEK

Postby tom.hoffman » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:15 pm

On the longboard market you can get machined precision spacers if you decide you want to be able to tighten down your nut completely.

Essentially, they are a few thousandths of an inch wider than most spacers which helps ensure that the bearing will float freely as intended when fully tightened.

It is also fairly easy to find bearings with integrated spacers (esp. in the longboard market) which have pretty much the same effect.

If you go down this rabbit hole, however, you will then end up wanting to find equally precise wheels and trucks to make the whole thing work perfectly while locked down tight.
tom.hoffman
I got new wheels

Postby warwick » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:02 pm

Anyone tried bearings with integrated spacers on Spitfire F4s? I had some in Type-S wheels with no problems, but in F4s they don’t seem to fit. It’s as if the bearing seats are slightly wider-set, so the integrated spacers don’t meet, so when I crank the wheelnuts down the bearings seize up

warwick
I need a LIFE!

Postby Brian S » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:09 pm

warwick wrote:Anyone tried bearings with integrated spacers on Spitfire F4s? I had some in Type-S wheels with no problems, but in F4s they don’t seem to fit. It’s as if the bearing seats are slightly wider-set, so the integrated spacers don’t meet, so when I crank the wheelnuts down the bearings seize up

I did use some seismic tektons in I think in F4 conical fulls with no problem a while back, (still got a spare new set somewhere) maybe the built in spacers vary
Brian S
monuMENTAL GEEK

Postby JimBin » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:27 pm

moo-mop wrote:Yes, I’m using the washers that came with the trucks. “Speed rings” is just another term for those right?

Yep, that's it. Any improvement?
It's strange that it's not working across set-ups and with different gear.
JimBin
I got new wheels

Postby misterbleepy » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:44 pm

Brian S wrote:
warwick wrote:Anyone tried bearings with integrated spacers on Spitfire F4s? I had some in Type-S wheels with no problems, but in F4s they don’t seem to fit. It’s as if the bearing seats are slightly wider-set, so the integrated spacers don’t meet, so when I crank the wheelnuts down the bearings seize up

I did use some seismic tektons in I think in F4 conical fulls with no problem a while back, (still got a spare new set somewhere) maybe the built in spacers vary

I’ve used Zealous bearings with Spitfire F4’s (also full conicals 58mm) with no problem
Keith B. - still riding goofy
misterbleepy
Geek

Return to How To - Maintenance