Lubing Bearings

How to do anything with your board and wheels eg. Cleaning bearings, changing trucks

Lubing Bearings

Postby JimBin » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:27 pm

I'm thinking my bearings need a drop of lube. I hate doing it. It seems like a shit load of work even though I'm only removing wheel, wiping outside of bearing, removing shield adding lube and reassembling. Plus, the shields often don't go back properly.
Firstly, how often, if at all, do you lube your bearings?
Secondly, any tips on making it easier/quicker?
JimBin
I got new wheels

Re: Lubing Bearings

Postby undertime » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:22 pm

Never done it. Ever.

Guess I would if I bought expensive bearings, but with my bag of exclusively flatland fooling there's no need to go fast...
More of the same old shit over at Instagram @undertime74
undertime
Super Geek

Postby Skatalite » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:19 pm

Though I assume it’s no use to you, my local skate shop Titus have just started to offer a free cleaning service. Ok so it’s just wanging your bearings in a bottle and shaking them but it’s a nice idea. As to lubing them, just do it when you can be arsed. So not very often
Skatalite
smell of grip tape

Postby JimBin » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:43 am

undertime, I have cheapish bearings, but they feel like they have dried out a bit too much. When they were more lubed, they rolled longer, requiring less effort on my part! Speed I don't need!
Skatalite, that is cool by titus! Great idea. Still too much effort, though! I'm lazy.
The only advantage I can see to skating with no shields is ease of lubing.
I have a new deck and I hope to set it up over the weekend. I'll make myself do the bearings then.
JimBin
I got new wheels

Postby TonyB » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:30 am

What bearings do you have?

Some shields are really made to take apart.

If you are going to re-lube the bearings you should clean them first.

For new lube use Bones Speed Cream or a skate bearing lubricant.

DON'T USE WD40

The Answer to ALL bearing questions is Rockin Rons
What is the best soft wheel? Orange Rainskates Tsunami 85a duro (available in various sizes)
My Collection
TonyB
NERD!

Postby JimBin » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:59 pm

Gripped the new deck. Not set it up yet. I might try a few things this week that can be dodgy for deck breaking, so will wait til next week for new deck and to do bearings (and any other excuse to put off working).
The bearings are rons rockets. I got 2 sets cos I couldn't be arsed cleaning them, but the first set are a bit dry. I'll lube them without cleaning them. I'll survive if they die early.
Using rons lube. Have used speed cream before and also sewing machine oil when there was no skateshop in the city. I think WD40 is fine to use when cleaning the bearings (i haven't done, but it should be fine), but it won't work as a lube.
JimBin
I got new wheels

Postby Brian S » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:32 pm

Don't clean my bearings, just pull off the seals occasionally & drop in some lube when they sound a bit rough, they then run smooth again, but I don't pay a fortune for them like some do :lol:
Brian S
monuMENTAL GEEK

Postby JimBin » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:09 pm

That's what i am aiming for. Did the cleaning thing a fair few times. Too old now. I'd prefer to use my time doing nicer stuff.
JimBin
I got new wheels

Postby Skatalite » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:01 am

When you can buy new bearings on eBay for less than a fiver delivered and even fancy-pants ceramic ones for less than £15 it’s hard to justify doing too much maintenance on bearings. Just pull the covers off and drop a little oil in occasionally.
Skatalite
smell of grip tape

Postby JimBin » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:52 pm

Skatalite, i am interested in those cheap bearings for future reference. Are there any sellers or manufacturers you recommend?
Also, when you say pull the covers off, do you mean permanently or just to lube?
JimBin
I got new wheels

Postby Skatalite » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:20 am

The super cheap ones on eBay are just bog basic bearings. They are lubed with fairly heavy oil so don’t have the whizzy spinniness (when spun in the fingers) of more expensive ones. Once they’ve got 12 stone of rider pushing them though it makes bugger all difference (thought I expect others will disagree)

The slightly pricier ones with removable seals (look like classic bones reds or similar) have rubber covered brass seals, they can be removed carefully for cleaning using a slim blade. Whether you decide to clean them is up to you ;-) id put the covers back in afterwards, they are just dust shields but they do work, I’ve taken the shields off bearings with a couple of years use and found the inside still clean.

Check these out
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2838097750

10 ceramic bearings with removable shields delivered from China for £12 - just hope you’re not in a rush ;-)

Bearings eh? Like it matters...
Skatalite
smell of grip tape

Postby JimBin » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:40 am

Yeah, i say feck cleaning bearings, but i don't like them dry.
Round here, the majority skate with no shields. I say feck that.
and a long as the bearings are faster than the delivery, happy days!
JimBin
I got new wheels

Return to How To - Maintenance