How to Unsqueak Trucks

How to do anything with your board and wheels eg. Cleaning bearings, changing trucks

How to Unsqueak Trucks

Postby houston » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:40 pm

My Thunder 149's squeaked and creaked since the day I got them. Seemed to ride fine, but never liked the noise. Finally I got around to taking care of it. Picked up a set of Bones Hardcore Bushings, and got them installed. (A little tedious, as they're a bit taller than stock. Could only get the top nut back on if the top and bottom washer cups were off. Tightened it down that way, let it sit for a few hours, and it seemed to compress enough to be able to get the top cup back on and still have a few threads for the nut to grab. The bottom cup was left off, as it is not needed. The bottom bushing tapers in quite a bit on these.)

Anyway, it quickly became apparent that these were just as squeaky. The noise was exactly as before. But perhaps a quick search on the webs would reveal a trick or two that can be used to calm squeaky bushings.

Upon looking it up, right away it became apparent that such squeaks don't come from bushings, but from the trucks' pivot cups. Gee, no wonder the new bushings made not one iota of difference to the sound. The most common solutions seem to be to take the truck apart, drop a few small shavings of bar soap into the pivot cup, and simply reassemble. The bar soap being a lubricant between the metal pivot and the rubber receiving cup.

I used bits of candle wax, which was more convenient and seemed close enough. And so far it's working well. The only funny thing is that the wax is being forced back out under use, into thin layers strewn about. It's fine for now, but I'm wondering if something like lithium grease would make more sense. I suppose it has to be something compatible with rubber mainly. In fact, something that conditions the pivot cup would be great, as we've all seen how they dry out, harden, and crack after several years.

As far as the Bones bushings (got the hard, btw), they seem good. Had a fairly moderate session on them, and got the impression that they were responsive but stable, without having to be very tight (as my understanding is that you have to be careful not to overtighten new bushings for the first few hours). Of course there's always a good chance of placebo effect with anything like that, so don't want to say too much.
houston
nothing better to do

Re: How to Unsqueak Trucks

Postby Woody » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:05 pm

Are your trucks lows or highs ?
I find a quick spray of furniture polish on noisy pivot cups sorts th problem right out.
MAS, run by skateboarders for skateboarders and paid for by skateboarders.
Big Woodys Skate Shop
Woody
Skate Bully

Postby houston » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:21 pm

Woody wrote:Are your trucks lows or highs ?

They're "Sonora Black Highs"

I find a quick spray of furniture polish on noisy pivot cups sorts th problem right out.

Interesting. And no need to disassemble then?

I'm guessing that lots of things can be used. Issue for me was never suspecting it could be the pivot cup in the first place!
houston
nothing better to do

Postby TonyB » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:59 am

Pivot bushing squeak is not uncommon, as you have discovered a bit of soap does the trick. Strange that the Bones bushes are such a tight fit they fit without any trouble in most trucks. Are the originals smaller than normal? Wonder if its the insert that is making the difference.

The Answer to ALL bearing questions is Rockin Rons
What is the best soft wheel? Orange Rainskates Tsunami 85a duro (available in various sizes)
My Collection
TonyB
NERD!

Postby houston » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:24 am

Not sure what's normal for bushings, but the upper stock Thunders seemed pretty short. The stock lower seemed closer to the Bones height. Although bushings that have been installed into a truck for who knows how long seem likely to be a bit deformed from their original shape?
houston
nothing better to do

Postby SNAKEBITE » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:56 pm

Another cure for the squeek in pivot cups is vaseline, or silicon grease.
Is this where I am supposed to write something witty?
SNAKEBITE
NERD!

Postby J32OME » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:52 am

Thanks for the squeak tips. I'm installing my hardcore bushings now on indie 149s and I didn't know you need to let them settle. Do I keep the washers on??? They don't fit now but is it better to keep them on?
J32OME
What mid life crisis ?

Postby J32OME » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:53 am

J32OME
What mid life crisis ?

Postby J32OME » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:53 am

They are new trucks BTW. Any more tips?
J32OME
What mid life crisis ?

Postby HarryR » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:27 am

This thread should tell you all you need to know ;-)
viewtopic.php?t=28200
Rose-tinted view of the days of our youth; we stood the test of time.
HarryR
anorak alert

Postby JamesC » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:21 am

To keep the geometry of the trucks correct keep the washer on the bottom (board side) and I find it best to remove the washer on top (road side) as it restricts movement. Keeping the washer on also makes it difficult to tighten the nut down enough so the nyloc grips properly. People do all sorts of things so try different things and see how you like it

James
Loose trucks save lives

http://skateboardmagazine.co.uk/ - Europe's Hottest Skateboard Magazine
JamesC
am I a skate geek

Postby J32OME » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:57 pm

Thanks Harry thanks JamesC.
J32OME
What mid life crisis ?

How to Unsqueak Trucks

Postby J32OME » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:58 pm

I think I need to experiment but with my level of skating I need all the help I can get...!
J32OME
What mid life crisis ?

Postby Kamaki » Fri May 16, 2014 2:32 pm

Yeah I use soap, could use wax perhaps. Maybe lube (not KY), guess you have to watch as some things might corrode the pivot cup.
I've come to enjoy the art of falling.
Kamaki
nothing better to do

Return to How To - Maintenance