Cleaning bearings.

How to do anything with your board and wheels eg. Cleaning bearings, changing trucks

Cleaning bearings.

Postby Martin-d » Tue May 07, 2013 8:18 pm

Been on my bearings for a few weeks now so figured as they were worn in I'd clean and lube them. After watching a few vids on YouTube I chose to try citrus degreaser but some of the bearings were clearly not as well cleaned as others.

Anyone got any views on what to clean bearings with and how long to leave them soaking etc?
Martin-d
nothing better to do

Re: Cleaning bearings.

Postby Krammer » Tue May 07, 2013 9:02 pm

Shhhhhh don't mention the 'B' word... Causes much consternation and perturbation on here...
Try this http://www.silverfishlongboarding.com/forum/longboard-skateboarding-wheels-bearings/16564-how-clean-maintain-your-bearings.html
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain
Krammer
am I a skate geek

Postby Martin-d » Tue May 07, 2013 9:08 pm

Krammer wrote:Shhhhhh don't mention the 'B' word... Causes much consternation and perturbation on here...
Try this http://www.silverfishlongboarding.com/forum/longboard-skateboarding-wheels-bearings/16564-how-clean-maintain-your-bearings.html

Ha ha. Thanks mate.
Martin-d
nothing better to do

Postby Ash P » Tue May 07, 2013 9:49 pm

Mongo crew member
Ash P
Geek

Postby HarryR » Tue May 07, 2013 9:57 pm

Martin-d wrote:Been on my bearings for a few weeks now so figured as they were worn in I'd clean and lube them. After watching a few vids on YouTube I chose to try citrus degreaser but some of the bearings were clearly not as well cleaned as others.

Anyone got any views on what to clean bearings with and how long to leave them soaking etc?

Required reading for all MAS members and the word on all things "B" is here: viewtopic.php?t=8758

Set aside two days of your life and prepare to learn all you will ever need to know on the subject. The information on lubrication is especially enlightening :-D
Rose-tinted view of the days of our youth; we stood the test of time.
HarryR
anorak alert

Postby Martin-d » Tue May 07, 2013 10:04 pm

Harry Ramsden wrote:
Martin-d wrote:Been on my bearings for a few weeks now so figured as they were worn in I'd clean and lube them. After watching a few vids on YouTube I chose to try citrus degreaser but some of the bearings were clearly not as well cleaned as others.

Required reading for all MAS members and the word on all things "B" is here: viewtopic.php?t=8758

Set aside two days of your life and prepare to learn all you will ever need to know on the subject. The information on lubrication is especially enlightening :-D

Ace, thanks mate. Got 4 night shifts starting tomorrow so that'll give me something to do if it gets quiet!
Martin-d
nothing better to do

Postby GoR64 » Tue May 07, 2013 10:44 pm

Acetone and machine oil for me: quick, easy, cheap.
Don't call it a comeback...
GoR64
Bigger Geek

Postby Martin-d » Wed May 08, 2013 10:11 am

GoR64 wrote:Acetone and machine oil for me: quick, easy, cheap.

Actually acetone makes a lot of sense due to the alcohol content. I assume you just mean high acetone containing nail varnish remover?
Martin-d
nothing better to do

Postby Dom1 » Wed May 08, 2013 10:17 am

:twisted:
Dom1
Geek

Postby Martin-d » Wed May 08, 2013 10:55 am

Dom1 wrote:Image
:twisted:

Oooh you naughty boy! Ha ha.
Martin-d
nothing better to do

Postby GoR64 » Wed May 08, 2013 11:19 am

Martin-d wrote:I assume you just mean high acetone containing nail varnish remover?

Yeah, just whatever you can get hold of. Some people like citrus cleaner but you have to wash it off afterwards.
Here's a link to some random "Oil Vs. Grease" literature, you can dive into the sea of different grease types and their suitability for specific applications if you so desire...
Don't call it a comeback...
GoR64
Bigger Geek

Postby Martin-d » Thu May 09, 2013 1:41 am

Harry Ramsden wrote:

Ok so I read a couple of pages and lost the will to live! Came to the conclusion that my talent is by far a more limiting factor than bearings. The onews I am using are fine (am not going to say at risk of starting something! Ha ha.).

I will experiment for myself with cleaners as they are all pretty cheap options. For anyone reading this please see the link Harry put which I have requoted as I fear I may envoke bad karma by starting another thread like that one! Also not sure my humble opinion will have much bearing on the subject (sorry couldn't resist).
Martin-d
nothing better to do

Postby Martin-d » Thu May 09, 2013 1:42 am

Martin-d wrote:
Harry Ramsden wrote:

Ok so I read a couple of pages and lost the will to live! Came to the conclusion that my talent is by far a more limiting factor than bearings. The ones I am using are fine (am not going to say which ones at risk of starting something! Ha ha.).

I will experiment for myself with cleaners as they are all pretty cheap options. For anyone reading this please see the link Harry put which I have requoted as I fear I may envoke bad karma by starting another thread like that one! Also not sure my humble opinion will have much bearing on the subject (sorry couldn't resist).
Martin-d
nothing better to do

Postby pete » Thu May 09, 2013 9:59 am

i've read the silverfish link and come to the conclusion that i cant be arse with cleaning my bearings. I'll just pump a little harder :)
pete
nothing better to do

Postby LostnotFound » Thu May 23, 2013 10:13 pm

pete wrote:i've read the silverfish link and come to the conclusion that i cant be arse with cleaning my bearings. I'll just pump a little harder :)

I wouldn't worry cleaning them is easy I found :wink:

After all the talk of WD40 I had to try it, whilst I wait for ages for some new ones to come in the post I thought I'd give it a go.

I plan on attempting to roll around a local car park on them tomorrow after work, if you don't here from me by the evening then unfortunately all the rumors will be true, putting WD40 on your bearings will lead to instant death as soon as you step on your board.
Please ignore the above post, I have nothing of merit to say.
LostnotFound
I got new wheels

Postby flash » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:40 pm

I remember what I used to clean mine with, I used to use nmb bearings, used to use a decreaser,then soaked them in what used to be slick 50 for car engines, for about half hour worked a treat, much spinnings
flash

Postby Martin-d » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:12 pm

flash wrote:I remember what I used to clean mine with, I used to use nmb bearings, used to use a decreaser,then soaked them in what used to be slick 50 for car engines, for about half hour worked a treat, much spinnings

I also had NMB in the 80's and used to soak them in engine oil. It did work fine. Am currently using nail varnish remover which is mainly acetone with added limonene to remove grit (with a tooth brush too) then speed creme as a lube. Works well but fast finding that cleaning grit is good but for real speed in a bearing there is nothing like constant use!
Martin-d
nothing better to do

Return to How To - Maintenance