Setting up tight trucks... and keeping them that way

How to do anything with your board and wheels eg. Cleaning bearings, changing trucks

Setting up tight trucks... and keeping them that way

Postby golfisnaff » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:43 am

Hi guys,

I like to ride really tight trucks. Problem I'm finding is that using super hard 100D bushings and firmly tightening (not crazy tight) results in stiff riding for a while, but then the bushings compress and eventually blow out.

I've tried these Doh Dohs http://www.skaterhq.com.au/doh-doh-bush ... -100d.html
and the dual-hardness Bones Hardcores.

Anyone found a solution, other than changing bushings every few hours?

Indy 149s on an 8" board, if that matters much.

Cheers team.
golfisnaff
smell of grip tape

Re: Setting up tight trucks... and keeping them that way

Postby Hagwag » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:55 am

Try purple Khiros with barrel shape on the bottom

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Mongo Pride
Hagwag
monuMENTAL GEEK

Postby golfisnaff » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:33 am

Cheers, will do.
golfisnaff
smell of grip tape

Postby TonyB » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:00 am

Learn to ride loose trucks.

The Answer to ALL bearing questions is Rockin Rons
What is the best soft wheel? Orange Rainskates Tsunami 85a duro (available in various sizes)
My Collection
TonyB
NERD!

Postby GarethV » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:08 am

TonyB wrote:Learn to ride loose trucks.

Good job your here to help Tony- LOL
Skaters gonna Skate
GarethV
Super Geek

Postby TonyB » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:16 am

Well who rides super tight trucks these days and likes them? Unless you are vert riding you will need to turn.

Loose trucks save lives

What is the best soft wheel? Orange Rainskates Tsunami 85a duro (available in various sizes)
My Collection
TonyB
NERD!

Postby Ben-G » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:27 am

6 months ago just starting again I liked the reassurance of tight trucks, but now I am very much a convert to riding them loose. I still use bones hard bushings as I am heavy, but really like being able to carve now. I like the top of the kingpin nut to sit level with the top of the kingpin.
Ben-G
Bigger Geek

Postby GarethV » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:36 am

Hopokus wrote:6 months ago just starting again I liked the reassurance of tight trucks, but now I am very much a convert to riding them loose. I still use bones hard bushings as I am heavy, but really like being able to carve now. I like the top of the kingpin nut to sit level with the top of the kingpin.

Another vote for loose from Ben. I must confess I rode my trucks pretty tight when I first got back in to it and had no balance. However I would never of left them tight unless I only skated vert. Even so I do not think I was ever that extreme as you sound.

So perhaps skate more , get a better control of the board and perhaps loosen those truck slightly. Carving is awesome fun you are really missing out.

..-
Skaters gonna Skate
GarethV
Super Geek

Postby Brian S » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:16 pm

TonyB wrote:Well who rides super tight trucks these days and likes them? Unless you are vert riding you will need to turn.

Loose trucks save lives

You still need turn on vert, we used to ride trucks so loose in the early 80's they rattled & occasionally the truck nuts came off mid air, oop's, not quite as wild now, but as you progress you seem to be able to loosen your trucks a fair bit, as it can get you out of sticky situations sometimes, you can't get around a corner with tight trucks :lol:
Brian S
monuMENTAL GEEK

Postby andre » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:17 pm

eh, i went from tight (early days) to loose (about a year in), to tight again. depends a lot on what you're skating, how fast you're going, &c. experiment if you want, then ride 'em as loose or tight as you like.
Ben wrote:58mm is the best size of wheel. It's the law.
andre
Super Geek

Postby marki3boy » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:54 pm

Loosen your trucks and bend your knees.
Best advice I ever heard.
The bowl demands an offering of pain — today I paid the concrete price.
http://face-plant-44.blogspot.co.uk
marki3boy
I got new wheels

Postby flash » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:17 pm

marki3boy wrote:Loosen your trucks and bend your knees.
Best advice I ever heard.

Great blog mark, some cool places there,nice one :D
flash

Postby shindigz » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:14 pm

golfisnaff wrote:Hi guys,

I like to ride really tight trucks. Problem I'm finding is that using super hard 100D bushings and firmly tightening (not crazy tight) results in stiff riding for a while, but then the bushings compress and eventually blow out.

I've tried these Doh Dohs http://www.skaterhq.com.au/doh-doh-bush ... -100d.html
and the dual-hardness Bones Hardcores.

Anyone found a solution, other than changing bushings every few hours?

Indy 149s on an 8" board, if that matters much.

Cheers team.

I'm a bit late to the party here I know, but I had the same problems until I got my Navigator trucks about 10 years ago (the first of my skateboard ressurections). I kept blowing out the bushings too, even hard ones, as they all seemed to not turn at all, then just splodge out the side once I went past the critcal turning point. When I got the trucks I found that the standard (med-hard) bushings were great if I added a second bushing cup to both the baseplate seat, and another under the kingpin head. I found it allowed me to tighten the bushings more without closing the hangar up too much, therefore keeping the angles of the hardware 'flatter', which seemed to even out the pressure around the bushings and spead distribution of the squeezy stress better.

Dunno if that makes any sense? :P

Edit: Thought I'd just add that I've not had to adjust the kingpin since I set them up all those years ago. It's barely been skated (the odd weekend each summer), but the bushings still feel awesome, and haven't got that all-or-nothing feel that they can sometimes get when cranked down hard. Now that I've been skating more often however, I find them to be a bit too tight if anything, but can't find the right sized hex key to loosen them a bit. :roll:
I love the smell of concrete in the morning. It smells like... blood? ARRRGHHHH!!!!
shindigz
skate skate skate

Postby GoR64 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:26 pm

Give Theeves a try... After my Ace's they feel completely solid!
Don't call it a comeback...
GoR64
Bigger Geek

Postby BMCsteve » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:36 pm

I skate Theeve TiKing's with Bone hard bushings. You get a very tight controlled turn. I find tighter trucks give me better pop and more control over flip tricks but I also skate mostly street
BMCsteve
What mid life crisis ?

Postby tom.hoffman » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:42 pm

You can get stimulator/eliminator shaped bushings for the bottom, which basically have an extra ring of urethane that gets pinched between the bushing seat in the hanger and a cupped bottom washer.
tom.hoffman
I got new wheels

Postby Lone freestyler » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:12 pm

Change to Ace - nice and turny at low speed and stable at velocity.
History, it's just one fucking thing after another :roll:
Lone freestyler
Super Geek

Postby Red Beard » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:57 pm

:X) to hijack the thread a bit but is it worthwhile going for harder bushings and looser trucks, rather than going too tight on standard bushings? Not been back on a board long and trying to keep my trucks loose enough for a bit of turn (ready for carving hopefully!) but tight enough to try and dodge too much speed wobble for now.
Red Beard
nothing better to do

Postby TonyB » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:19 pm

Are you getting speed wobble Red Beard? IMO truck bushes should never be crushed tight, if they are too soft they always will be no matter how tight you make the KP nut. Go up a bit in durometer but keep the kingpin as loose as you can.

Check the fit of the hanger pivot in the pivot bushing, if it's sloppy change the pivot bush.

My Collection
TonyB
NERD!

Postby Red Beard » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:32 am

TonyB wrote:Are you getting speed wobble Red Beard? IMO truck bushes should never be crushed tight, if they are too soft they always will be no matter how tight you make the KP nut. Go up a bit in durometer but keep the kingpin as loose as you can.

Check the fit of the hanger pivot in the pivot bushing, if it's sloppy change the pivot bush.

Yeah, definite speed wobble but my cruiser is on Bennett trucks and I know they're supposed to turn well so I don't want to ruin that side of things. I tightened the kingpin nuts a bit when I first got it then realised it didn't really turn as much so loosened them a touch again, will check how the bushings look later on.

Cheers for that.
Red Beard
nothing better to do

Postby TonyB » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:26 pm

Bennetts are not a speed truck as you know, they will always be very turny. You can adjust the turn with the use of different bushes and although the stock ones aren't bad there are longboard bushes like Venom and Reflex that will open up a whole minefield of possibilities for you, where you might be able to tighten them up but still retain turning ability as these other bushes have much more rebound. Due to the geometry on a Bennett your never going to turn that in to a stable speed truck it is what it is. I think that you will have to get used to how they work and feel.

My Collection
TonyB
NERD!

Postby Red Beard » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:29 pm

TonyB wrote:Bennetts are not a speed truck as you know, they will always be very turny. You can adjust the turn with the use of different bushes and although the stock ones aren't bad there are longboard bushes like Venom and Reflex that will open up a whole minefield of possibilities for you, where you might be able to tighten them up but still retain turning ability as these other bushes have much more rebound. Due to the geometry on a Bennett your never going to turn that in to a stable speed truck it is what it is. I think that you will have to get used to how they work and feel.

You're probably right that it may be best to just keep on til I get used to how the trucks ride properly and go from there. I loosened them off about a turn earlier so will see how they feel next time I go out on the board and carry on tweaking from there, may look into some after market bushings as well at some point.
Cheers for the info.
Red Beard
nothing better to do

Return to How To - Maintenance