how to fuck up a new deck.........

How to do anything with your board and wheels eg. Cleaning bearings, changing trucks

how to fuck up a new deck.........

Postby hankmarvinsguts » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:53 pm

Putting rails on my new skate first one went on fine, panhead screws , second one was going on ok but then one of the screws just started boring a great fucking hole in my deck and wouldnt tighten as did the final screw wtf is going on there............i'm really fucked off about it and now have a flapping rail it has since been filled with sugru but not skated I'm not holding out much hope
Looks like sex bolts or getting rid of the plastic ,neither of which I really want to do I know I appreciate all the lovely 80's styling but sex bolts are a step too far, unless anybody has any other filling ideas?
Reminded me of the great rail incident of xmas 88 man that shit was super fucked :( I dont want to go back there. lets just say I had no fucking idea......i'm not sure that much has changed :oops:
If your not skateboarding..............your not skateboarding.
hankmarvinsguts
I got new wheels

Re: how to fuck up a new deck.........

Postby bertslide » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:34 pm

Get some araldite epoxy and plug the hole with it, once cured screw thescrew back in.
Might want to pilot drill the epoxy to make life a little easier or move the rail over 5-6 mm and refit the screw.
cheers

It's fun fun fun fun fun til the pigs come round
bertslide
SHOOT ME!

Postby Brian S » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:40 pm

Get some shorter decent self tapping wood screws so no risk of poking out the top as well, I got a good pack on Ebay for pennies 8mm I think
Brian S
monuMENTAL GEEK

Postby chuffedankles » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:01 am

Gorilla glue. I honestly reckon it's strong enough to hold rails on without any screws.
chuffedankles
I got new wheels

Postby hankmarvinsguts » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:57 pm

Thanks chaps will give the araldite a go!!!!
If your not skateboarding..............your not skateboarding.
hankmarvinsguts
I got new wheels

Postby TonyB » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:11 pm

Use 2 pack wood filler. Sets like rock quickly. Always mark the holes and drill a pilot hole (careful you don't go to deep). Drill the holes 3mm smaller diameter than the screws. Use no.8 3/8th" self tapping screws (available from Homebase) . Tip - if you are worried about drilling too far wrap a piece of tape around the drill bit and just leave the right length exposed. Drill until the tape touches the surface of the deck.

Whenever I have fitted rails I always hated any rattle. Try a bit of Blutac under the rail, or a bit of foam window insulation to get rid of it.

The Answer to ALL bearing questions is Rockin Rons
What is the best soft wheel? Orange Rainskates Tsunami 85a duro (available in various sizes)
My Collection
TonyB
NERD!

Postby oddnumber » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:11 am

Use shoegoo - worked grand in the 80s :)
The pleasing aroma's half the point.
oddnumber
am I a skate geek

Postby Brian S » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:21 am

No drilling for me, I use a Bradawl, nice, precise , easy to use & good tight fit for the screws
Brian S
monuMENTAL GEEK

Postby Andy » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:25 am

Duct tape...
And the lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Andy
monuMENTAL GEEK

Re: how to f*ck up a new deck.........

Postby thrashin » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:01 am

My advice is to leave the buggered hole filled as it is, and drill yourself a new hole in the rail just next to it, and counter-sink drill it to so the screw head will be buried. Then get some QUALITY screws, nice and sharp.. and screw that sucker in again.. and don't overtighten!
thrashin
I'm too scared to post more

Postby Leeroy » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:41 am

I just used a building silicone on mine and it worked well at glueing and stoping rattle as its a rubber style compond.
Leeroy
smell of grip tape

Return to How To - Maintenance