Sticking Trucks

How to do anything with your board and wheels eg. Cleaning bearings, changing trucks

Sticking Trucks

Postby Trout01 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:27 pm

Any advice on this is much appreciated. Every time I go out skating and do my normal cruise around, Ollie shuv it stuff afterwards my trucks seem to stick to one side and I have to level them out again by pushing down on opposite wheel. I have tried changing the bushings to 95a with the same problem occurring and then to current 99a bones which has not helped. Any suggestions? :?
Trout01
skate skate skate

Re: Sticking Trucks

Postby TonyB » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:33 pm

Which trucks ? A bushing with an insert (Bones/Khiro) should return to centre. How tight is the kingpin nut?

The Answer to ALL bearing questions is Rockin Rons
What is the best soft wheel? Orange Rainskates Tsunami 85a duro (available in various sizes)
My Collection
TonyB
NERD!

Postby Trout01 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:25 pm

I have had the trucks quite tight and also had them quite slack to no avail, the make is Shiner 9.25. I had the original bushings which they came with but they did not last the plastic was cutting off them. Hence why I tried new bushings to try to rectify the sticking.
Trout01
skate skate skate

Postby JamesC » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:35 pm

As Tony said you need bushings with inserts in for the best return to centre. Always a good idea to get the correct hardness of busing to how tight you want your trucks rather than tightning the life out of soft bushings.
Loose trucks save lives

http://skateboardmagazine.co.uk/ - Europe's Hottest Skateboard Magazine
JamesC
am I a skate geek

Postby Hagwag » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:38 pm

All trucks do it in my experience regardless of bushings until they are worn in. Especially street skating.

Lubricating the pivot bushing helps either with a load of ground pencil lead or some sirt of mineral oil. Olive oil worjs too
Mongo Pride
Hagwag
monuMENTAL GEEK

Postby TonyB » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:51 pm

Tight kingpins will not help at all. A bushing should not be crushed it has to have room to flex. The pivot on the hanger could be a bit tight in the pivot bush in the baseplate and you could try lubricating that, try rubbing soap from a soap bar on the pivot on the hanger. If it fits to tightly in the pivot bushing then change that. Get a hard not soft pivot bushing.

Very hard bushes and a lot of normal bushes don't have much rebound and won't return to centre no matter what you do.

If you are still having trouble then change trucks to a well known brand (eg Independent) or just don't worry about it and just skate can't really see why this would really make a difference to using a skateboard, as you say it straightens out when you apply opposite pressure. Don't let it bother you.

Learn to use loose trucks, because loose trucks save lives.... :mrgreen:

The Answer to ALL bearing questions is Rockin Rons
What is the best soft wheel? Orange Rainskates Tsunami 85a duro (available in various sizes)
My Collection
TonyB
NERD!

Postby VertSk8 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:55 pm

I always liked the bushings on the old Tracker Aggro trucks. The circumferential shoulder/edge was a good idea to keep the hanger in position. I don't know the geometry of the Shiner trucks but maybe the Venom Eliminators might do the trick and keep your hangers centered.

VertSk8
skate skate skate

Return to How To - Maintenance