Problem with new wheels and bearings

How to do anything with your board and wheels eg. Cleaning bearings, changing trucks

Problem with new wheels and bearings

Postby Trout01 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:26 am

Bought new wheels recently and finding it hard to put in the bearings as the wheels are so tight , any advice on this will be received gratefully.
Trout01
skate skate skate

Re: Problem with new wheels and bearings

Postby misterbleepy » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:54 am

I usually put bearings in wheels using the truck axle to hold the bearing while I push the wheel onto the bearing - is that how you do it?

You can buy a tool (Bones do one I think) to insert and remove bearings, but I've not tried one so not sure if it would help.
Keith B. - still riding goofy
misterbleepy
Geek

Postby Woody » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:07 am

misterbleepy wrote:I usually put bearings in wheels using the truck axle to hold the bearing while I push the wheel onto the bearing - is that how you do it?

You can buy a tool (Bones do one I think) to insert and remove bearings, but I've not tried one so not sure if it would help.

Axle is the easiest method, little furniture Polish helps but never found a wheel yet that needed it, which wheels you got ?
MAS, run by skateboarders for skateboarders and paid for by skateboarders.
Big Woodys Skate Shop
Woody
Skate Bully

Postby Bogey » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:45 am

Never had this problem till last night with metro motions. Usually use axle trick but were still tight so used a socket the same size as the bearing outer, with the wheel off just gave it a good push and they seated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bogey
I got new wheels

Postby Trout01 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:22 am

Cheers for the reply, I was using a socket but so much force was needed to get them in, was scared of damaging the bearings as the socket would slide. The idea of using the axle sounds like a good idea. The wheels are Death 53mm. Never tried powell bearing press so also do not no if they are any good.
Trout01
skate skate skate

Postby tom.hoffman » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:31 am

The Bones bearing tool is just a little hand-held puller. Nice to have, works.

I got a cheap press on eBay -- works great as a puller but isn't really more precise than using your trucks and body weight as a press. I don't know if an expensive press works much better, but hard to imagine it is worth it.

A bit of lube wiped around the bearing seat usually does the trick.
tom.hoffman
I got new wheels

Postby TonyB » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:41 pm

The best way to do it.

The Answer to ALL bearing questions is Rockin Rons
What is the best soft wheel? Orange Rainskates Tsunami 85a duro (available in various sizes)
My Collection
TonyB
NERD!

Postby Bogey » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:54 pm

That looks a great tool. I did think of using a old bike axle or other threaded bar and winding nuts down on some old bearings placed on top to act as a press

Bogey
I got new wheels

Postby TonyB » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:15 am

You really shouldn't be having too much trouble putting your bearings into the wheels. Try putting some bearing lube on the outside of the bearing before you insert it. Be careful not to damage the bearing shield, you will have slow bearings if you do.

The Answer to ALL bearing questions is Rockin Rons
What is the best soft wheel? Orange Rainskates Tsunami 85a duro (available in various sizes)
My Collection
TonyB
NERD!

Postby Mike9000 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:41 pm

TonyB wrote:Try putting some bearing lube on the outside of the bearing before you insert it.

This is what I do - quick drop of speed cream on my finger and then run it around the outer race. Never needed more leverage than a truck axle.

If no spacers its good to get some in. Last time I didn't I twisted one of the bearings.
Mike9000
Bigger Geek

Postby Bogey » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:16 am

If think it only certain wheels that prove to be very tight. Like I mentioned I've only had this issue on one set of wheels.

Bogey
I got new wheels

Return to How To - Maintenance