Problem with old wheels and new bearings!

How to do anything with your board and wheels eg. Cleaning bearings, changing trucks

Problem with old wheels and new bearings!

Postby j roach » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:42 pm

Sorry bout the blatant thread title rip off :wink: but..

Bought my housemate some new Mini Logo bearings to replace her knackered, skated in the rain, 2 year old set. Her wheels are pretty old too and had to soak them in warmish water for a couple of mins to get the old bearings out. Dried them off, got the new bearings in.. they were seated correctly as far as I could tell and the wheels all spun fine once on.

We had a skate at Stockwell and the HTC place and everything was fine. Next day she noticed that the wheels weren't spinning well, and they make a hell of a racket.. kinda squeaky like they're rusted. Can't see anything wrong with the bearings (no damage, seem to be seated correctly still). She swears she didn't skate in the wet. Axles don't look at all bent but it feels like the wheels just don't sit right and are a somehow being slowed by the axle.

I'm a bit stumped, so any advice or clues would be much appreciated, she looked so happy with wheels that actually turned :D

edit: the water I used was really only very lukewarm, so I'm pretty sure I didn't get the wheel too hot/soft and deform it.. but they are very old.. could the bearing seats just be fucked from old age?
Last edited by j roach on Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
j roach
nothing better to do

Re: Problem with old wheels and new bearings!

Postby Hagwag » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:55 pm

Sounds like the bearings aren't seated properly even if they look ok. Using spacers? If not do
Mongo Pride
Hagwag
monuMENTAL GEEK

Postby j roach » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:04 pm

Ah ok, hadn't thought of spacers since don't use them myself and not had any issues, maybe I ought to. Will check it out.
j roach
nothing better to do

Postby JamesC » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:28 pm

Sounds like the bearings aren't seated properly. If they are at a slight angle then it forces the ball against the wall of the races making it run slow and noisy. Spacers do help
Loose trucks save lives

http://skateboardmagazine.co.uk/ - Europe's Hottest Skateboard Magazine
JamesC
am I a skate geek

Postby HarryR » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:44 pm

The bearings might be seated properly but if the bearing seats themselves are not true that could be a problem.
Rose-tinted view of the days of our youth; we stood the test of time.
HarryR
anorak alert

Return to How To - Maintenance