What board tweaks/mods/customisations have you made?

How to do anything with your board and wheels eg. Cleaning bearings, changing trucks

What board tweaks/mods/customisations have you made?

Postby misterbleepy » Thu May 08, 2014 10:51 am

As someone who gets more time to tinker than to actually skate, I tend to tweak/fiddle/improve/customise my boards - does anyone else do this?

Got any good tweaks to show everyone?

To get the ball rolling, here's what I do to the grip job on my boards:

just so they feel they all belong together
Keith B. - still riding goofy
misterbleepy
Geek

Re: What board tweaks/mods/customisations have you made?

Postby j roach » Thu May 08, 2014 11:48 am

All I've done so far is colour my front truck bolts silver so I get less confused :(

Those are nice grip jobs, would like to learn to do that since I've actually never even gripped a deck. Was checking out some of the grip art that Zarosh does, cool stuff. What's best for drawing/painting in grip anyway? Got a sharpie but imagine it kills em pretty quickly.
j roach
nothing better to do

Postby wood tinka » Thu May 08, 2014 12:20 pm

Nice work Misterbleepy, I've not done any customising yet, been wanting to get a couple of cheap blank decks and have a go !!!!
wood tinka
skate skate skate

Postby Hagwag » Thu May 08, 2014 1:26 pm

I put a vertical stripe on my toe side on popsicles so I know which way around they are.

Used to leave a strip blank before the rear bolts but heard someone mention it makes a already weak spot even weaker. Weather that's scientifically even measurable it got me paranoid!
Mongo Pride
Hagwag
monuMENTAL GEEK

Postby Beigebomber » Thu May 08, 2014 3:02 pm

Oh I've hacked a few in my time:

But that one was out of frustration and multiple nasty wheelbites caused by trying to skate a ditch using reverse kingpin trucks. I don't really do much modding to decks any more.
Doesn´t like decks with dolphins or Bob Marley painted on.
Beigebomber
I got new wheels

Postby misterbleepy » Thu May 08, 2014 3:47 pm

j roach wrote:What's best for drawing/painting in grip anyway? Got a sharpie but imagine it kills em pretty quickly.

Maybe card/paper stencil and a spraycan?
misterbleepy
Geek

Postby j roach » Thu May 08, 2014 4:07 pm

Wouldn't spray mess up your grip (as in make it slippy)? The again a Sharpie is paint.. used Tip-Ex on one of my decks as a kid so gotta be better than that :)

Would also really love to cut my own shape some time, but lacking tools or a workspace. Have friends who do screen printing which is also something I'd very much like to learn.
j roach
nothing better to do

Postby Skinnychris » Thu May 08, 2014 4:53 pm

Liking the grip tape job Bleepy, as it happens I ordered some new grip tape for my longboard this morning to replace the old stuff, definately gonna look at doing a custom job or even try and get it like the original, with the space down one side, like a 60/40 split

Sent from Lumia 925 using Tapatalk
Growing old is inevitable.....growing up is optional
Skinnychris
I got new wheels

Postby Bullet » Thu May 08, 2014 7:01 pm

Hagwag wrote:Used to leave a strip blank before the rear bolts but heard someone mention it makes a already weak spot even weaker. Weather that's scientifically even measurable it got me paranoid!

:lol: :lol: :lol: Seriously? C'moooooon... The only difference is if you crack the tail you'll lose it if there's no grip...
Part Animal - Part Machine
Bullet
I need a LIFE!

Postby Brian S » Thu May 08, 2014 8:21 pm

I turn my wheels around occasionally so they wear a bit more evenly & last longer, does that count? :)
Brian S
monuMENTAL GEEK

Postby SDfuzz64 » Thu May 08, 2014 9:47 pm

Here's the migraine inducing custom grip job I did on my cruiser/mini-longboard last year which I did with strips of black and fluorescent colour grip tape.
Attachments
IMG_4097-350.jpg
SDfuzz64
skate skate skate

Postby TonyB » Fri May 09, 2014 12:06 am

I've done a few Custom Grip Jobs in my time, but don't bother anymore. They used to take hours. Search Custom Grip Tape you'll find them somewhere on the forum.

The Answer to ALL bearing questions is Rockin Rons
What is the best soft wheel? Orange Rainskates Tsunami 85a duro (available in various sizes)
My Collection
TonyB
NERD!

Postby flash » Fri May 09, 2014 6:58 am

Used to put the likkle stickers off bananas I eat , on bottom of me deck but I stopped that now :?
flash

Postby Weirdo » Fri May 09, 2014 8:17 am

misterbleepy wrote:As someone who gets more time to tinker than to actually skate, I tend to tweak/fiddle/improve/customise my boards - does anyone else do this?

Got any good tweaks to show everyone?

To get the ball rolling, here's what I do to the grip job on my boards:

just so they feel they all belong together

Do you put the grip on in strips or cut out a strip once it is on the board?
Weirdo
Admin

Postby bazza5070 » Fri May 09, 2014 8:43 am

flash wrote:Used to put the likkle stickers off bananas I eat , on bottom of me deck but I stopped that now :?

Flash you fucking crack me up mate, I am going to make it my lifes ambition to get up to the midlands and skate with you one day (gh)
I like all wheels as long as they are Kryptonics.....
bazza5070
Geek

Postby bazza5070 » Fri May 09, 2014 8:45 am

When I was a kid I used to pick my board up and rub the trucks on the curb so it looked like I had been grinding the coping at the Rom, does that count? :lol:
bazza5070
Geek

Postby misterbleepy » Fri May 09, 2014 9:22 am

j roach wrote:Would also really love to cut my own shape some time, but lacking tools or a workspace. Have friends who do screen printing which is also something I'd very much like to learn.

Cutting your own shape is fun - it would be really good if you could buy uncut deck blanks - anyone know if you can?
I did screen printing years ago at college - you need a lot of kit, but if you can borrow/use your friends then go for it.

Skinnychris wrote:definately gonna look at doing a custom job or even try and get it like the original, with the space down one side, like a 60/40 split

Is that a Lush deck? - I do like the asymmetric grip jobs they used to do.

Brian S wrote:I turn my wheels around occasionally so they wear a bit more evenly & last longer, does that count? :)

Yes :-)

SDfuzz64 wrote:Here's the migraine inducing custom grip job I did on my cruiser/mini-longboard last year which I did with strips of black and fluorescent colour grip tape.

That is amazing :-)

TonyB wrote:I've done a few Custom Grip Jobs in my time, but don't bother anymore. They used to take hours. Search Custom Grip Tape you'll find them somewhere on the forum.

Going to do some searching at lunchtime - ta

flash wrote:Used to put the likkle stickers off bananas I eat , on bottom of me deck but I stopped that now :?

ROFL

Weirdo wrote:Do you put the grip on in strips or cut out a strip once it is on the board?

Both - depends on the existing (or not) grip. The longest board was a grip from scratch job - I cut a 1" strip off the sheet I bought for that, then cut the rest in half - it was easy - easier than cutting strips off an already gripped deck. After the first time I did that, I used a hairdryer to warm the grip to make it easier to peel off. Getting the glue remnants off is the hardest bit.

bazza5070 wrote:When I was a kid I used to pick my board up and rub the trucks on the curb so it looked like I had been grinding the coping at the Rom, does that count? :lol:

tricky one - it might be cheating ;-)
misterbleepy
Geek

Postby flash » Fri May 09, 2014 9:29 am

bazza5070 wrote:

Flash you fucking crack me up mate, I am going to make it my lifes ambition to get up to the midlands and skate with you one day (gh)

Nice one bazza , I'll make sure thats gonna happen, Brum posse post, we are on tour, and we can and will, pop up anywhere, there's two other nutters on the visit list for soon , corker , bustabloodklart , n you, we doing bits up north at the minute, but we will be coming down south, and will make a proper night of it, weekend maybe , can't wait lad's b~ b~ b~
Ps hurry up n fix that leg busta ..-
flash

Postby misterbleepy » Fri May 09, 2014 12:19 pm

ok - here are 3 older custom griptape threads - they're well worth a browse if you haven't seen them before - some absolutely awesome ones on them:

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=27759

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=15347

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=28457

Any other not necessarily grip related mods & tweaks out there?
misterbleepy
Geek

Postby bazza5070 » Fri May 09, 2014 3:11 pm

flash wrote:
bazza5070 wrote:

Nice one bazza , I'll make sure thats gonna happen, Brum posse post, we are on tour, and we can and will, pop up anywhere, there's two other nutters on the visit list for soon , corker , bustabloodklart , n you, we doing bits up north at the minute, but we will be coming down south, and will make a proper night of it, weekend maybe , can't wait lad's b~ b~ b~
Ps hurry up n fix that leg busta ..-

Look forward to it mate :-)

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2
bazza5070
Geek

Postby wood tinka » Sat May 10, 2014 4:09 pm

I've done a few tweaks and recycled some old skateboard parts, got a good street cruiser, run's well and just needs finishing off
wood tinka
skate skate skate

Postby misterbleepy » Sat May 10, 2014 7:14 pm

Bung some pictures on here when it's done - would be good to see :-)
misterbleepy
Geek

Postby j roach » Sat May 10, 2014 7:28 pm

So glad you posted that Flash :P

Got my Lee Ralph out of storage a few years back for a nostalgic look, was bit puzzled by the weird little stickers I'd put all over the base plates/front sides of my trucks... yup banana stickers, glad I wasn't the only one :shock:
j roach
nothing better to do

Postby Ben-G » Sat May 10, 2014 8:15 pm

j roach wrote:

Got my Lee Ralph out of storage a few years back for a nostalgic look, was bit puzzled by the weird little stickers I'd put all over the base plates/front sides of my trucks... yup banana stickers, glad I wasn't the only one :shock:

Ah for my lot back in the day the coolest thing was to have stickers on your board nicked off trains! :roll:

This sort of thing:

Ben-G
Bigger Geek

Postby flash » Sat May 10, 2014 8:48 pm

j roach wrote:

Lol bloody hell its started me off again, :D , got me a bunch of narnas for tomorrow, seems a shame to waste them stickers :roll:
flash

Postby Weirdo » Sat May 10, 2014 10:28 pm

Ben-G wrote:
j roach wrote:

Ah for my lot back in the day the coolest thing was to have stickers on your board nicked off trains! :roll:

This sort of thing:

Yep I had a no smoking sticker on the tail of my jeff grosso toybox. I nicked it off the bus.

I have no idea why.
Weirdo
Admin

Postby wood tinka » Sun May 11, 2014 11:41 pm

Here's my prototype Street Cruiser, I haven't got the heart to paint over the old stickers so I'm keeping the underside original. just need to grip up the top.

wood tinka
skate skate skate

Postby TonyB » Mon May 12, 2014 1:12 am

Haven't done any major mods to decks. Cut or altered a few wheel wells and moved trucks on a couple of set ups. Painted a few rails and deck tops to go underneath custom cut grip tape.

The Answer to ALL bearing questions is Rockin Rons
What is the best soft wheel? Orange Rainskates Tsunami 85a duro (available in various sizes)
My Collection
TonyB
NERD!

Postby misterbleepy » Mon May 12, 2014 1:55 pm

Liking the shape of that cruiser, plus the wheels match the middle colour of the deck - clever!
misterbleepy
Geek

Postby wood tinka » Mon May 12, 2014 7:01 pm

Thanks for the comments, it was more luck than judgement to get my go faster-strips matching the wheels, I've cut out another deck, it's an Etnies, and unlike the high quality Element deck, it's got shit stickers and graphic's so I painted the under frame...... Image[/URL]
wood tinka
skate skate skate

Postby Kamaki » Fri May 16, 2014 2:27 pm

j roach wrote:All I've done so far is colour my front truck bolts silver so I get less confused :(

Those are nice grip jobs, would like to learn to do that since I've actually never even gripped a deck. Was checking out some of the grip art that Zarosh does, cool stuff. What's best for drawing/painting in grip anyway? Got a sharpie but imagine it kills em pretty quickly.

Paint markers for drawing on grip, water based. Posca, posterman etc. I love doing custom grips, I'm not overly neat and sadly have gripped the same deck more than once! I like the #welcomegrip that you see, I'm going to start drawing more on my grip as opposed to mixing coloured grip.
I've come to enjoy the art of falling.
Kamaki
nothing better to do

Postby misterbleepy » Fri May 16, 2014 4:18 pm

Using only the cheapest TKMaxx chopping board - Tail Saver:

Nose Saver:

Top tip - if using a power jigsaw to cut cheapo chopping board, run at slowest speed possible, otherwise plastic melts, then welds the cut back together once the blade has passed - doh!

No risers? Random scraps of plywood to the rescue:

misterbleepy
Geek

Postby wood tinka » Fri May 16, 2014 7:00 pm

I like your style thinking out of the box !!!
wood tinka
skate skate skate

Postby Raspa Was » Fri May 16, 2014 8:14 pm

wood tinka wrote:Thanks for the comments, it was more luck than judgement to get my go faster-strips matching the wheels, I've cut out another deck, it's an Etnies, and unlike the high quality Element deck, it's got shit stickers and graphic's so I painted the under frame...... Image[/URL]

Love the look of that, looks fucking cool.
Raspa Was
smell of grip tape

Postby doowyrag » Sat May 17, 2014 8:15 am

misterbleepy wrote:cheapest TKMaxx chopping board - Tail Saver / Nose Saver.

No risers? Random scraps of plywood to the rescue.

Excellent work misterbleepy - esp the risers.
doowyrag
Super Geek

Postby misterbleepy » Mon May 19, 2014 1:30 pm

doowyrag wrote:...esp the risers.

I have a small collection of homemade risers - next time I'm rummaging around in the garage I'll grab them and post some pics.

In the meantime:

door protector + skateboard = nose protector:

misterbleepy
Geek

Postby Beigebomber » Tue May 20, 2014 8:14 am

misterbleepy wrote:Using only the cheapest TKMaxx chopping board - Tail Saver:

Hopefully TK Maxx chopping board is less brittle than the junkshop chopping board I used for a tailsaver once, which ended up cracking and coming off, leaving me with protruding screw threads. Was a bit ugly for a while until I managed to grind them down. The upside was that I could occasionally get some sparks off the road surface.
Doesn´t like decks with dolphins or Bob Marley painted on.
Beigebomber
I got new wheels

Postby misterbleepy » Tue May 20, 2014 10:36 am

Beigebomber wrote:The upside was that I could occasionally get some sparks off the road surface.

Cool - maybe I should set some flints into the tailsaver. Didn't someone make sparky trucks once?
misterbleepy
Geek

Postby JamesC » Tue May 20, 2014 10:51 am

misterbleepy wrote:
Cool - maybe I should set some flints into the tailsaver. Didn't someone make sparky trucks once?

The Theeve titanium trucks have a habit of making sparks when grinding concrete coping

You can also buy these

Loose trucks save lives

http://skateboardmagazine.co.uk/ - Europe's Hottest Skateboard Magazine
JamesC
am I a skate geek

Postby misterbleepy » Tue May 20, 2014 11:22 am

JamesC wrote:You can also buy these

(AW)

misterbleepy
Geek

Postby bazza5070 » Tue May 20, 2014 3:07 pm

Beigebomber wrote:
misterbleepy wrote:Using only the cheapest TKMaxx chopping board - Tail Saver:

Hopefully TK Maxx chopping board is less brittle than the junkshop chopping board I used for a tailsaver once, which ended up cracking and coming off, leaving me with protruding screw threads. Was a bit ugly for a while until I managed to grind them down. The upside was that I could occasionally get some sparks off the road surface.

Hammer a load of them Blakeys we used to put on the heels of our shoes in the 70s so we could spark em on the pavements :lol: :lol:
bazza5070
Geek

Postby K-ROC » Fri May 23, 2014 1:18 pm

Lasercut birch aeroply veener laminated onto a stripped down reclaimed pintail.
2014052312455500~2.jpg
Form like Voltron
K-ROC
Geek

Postby wood tinka » Fri May 23, 2014 4:05 pm

Looks good, has it left a texture imprint in the timber ?
wood tinka
skate skate skate

Postby K-ROC » Fri May 23, 2014 5:47 pm

wood tinka wrote:Looks good, has it left a texture imprint in the timber ?

Yeah the black/brown lines are etched into the surface of the veneer. I wanted to etch directly onto the deck but it wouldn't fit into the lazercutter so I had to do the design on a separate sheet of ply and then laminate it onto the deck. I've given it a coat of Danish oil too.
Form like Voltron
K-ROC
Geek

Postby misterbleepy » Fri May 23, 2014 6:06 pm

Corker wrote:so I had to do the design on a separate sheet of ply and then laminate it onto the deck. I've given it a coat of Danish oil too.

clever stuff, looks good :-)
misterbleepy
Geek

Postby misterbleepy » Fri May 23, 2014 6:18 pm

bazza5070 wrote:Hammer a load of them Blakeys we used to put on the heels of our shoes in the 70s so we could spark em on the pavements :lol: :lol:

I never knew they still made them:

http://www.blakeys-segs.co.uk
misterbleepy
Geek

Postby micke » Wed May 28, 2014 11:59 am

I have de-flexed a dervish longboard. But, then I bought a ordinary skateboard and don't longboard no more.

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/cvmt6j5u52dai2i/AAC3_ffdcoF3yB3zcS7_0idka
"You ride fucking indys bitch".
Coach Frank
micke
Bigger Geek

Postby misterbleepy » Wed May 28, 2014 1:38 pm

micke wrote:I have de-flexed a dervish longboard. But, then I bought a ordinary skateboard and don't longboard no more.

So is that 1 layer of carbon fibre? How is it stuck on - epoxy? What have you done with the board now you don't need it?
misterbleepy
Geek

Postby micke » Wed May 28, 2014 4:44 pm

Two layers of uni-directional CF and one layer of twill. And yes laminated (?) with epoxi.

Pretty stable ride now... Haha.

It just stands there staring at me for the moment.

Skickat från min Nexus 5 via Tapatalk
Coach Frank
micke
Bigger Geek

Postby bertslide » Wed May 28, 2014 8:26 pm

I have been known to tinker a little.
Made a few decks, tweaked risers for faster turning, modded trucks for the same reasons, shimming spacers to get better running wheels.
Most of it is already on here somewhere.

Nice carbon work there Micke
cheers

It's fun fun fun fun fun til the pigs come round
bertslide
SHOOT ME!

Postby misterbleepy » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:30 pm

After following my wife running on my Lush Stallion for a few miles, I found my non-pushing knee getting painful after all the stepping up & down.
I need a lower deck, but can't buy one at the moment.
So out with the jigsaw:

I used bearing spacers to lower the deck even more:

It's now a bit too bendy, so I am working on reinforcing it - more pics when done.
misterbleepy
Geek

Re: Sv: What board tweaks/mods/customisations have you made?

Postby micke » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:51 pm

misterbleepy wrote:After following my wife running on my Lush Stallion for a few miles, I found my non-pushing knee getting painful after all the stepping up & down.
I need a lower deck, but can't buy one at the moment.
So out with the jigsaw:

I used bearing spacers to lower the deck even more:

It's now a bit too bendy, so I am working on reinforcing it - more pics when done.

I recommend carbon fiber. See my post further up. Will make your wood stiff as a rats dick.
Coach Frank
micke
Bigger Geek

Re: Sv: What board tweaks/mods/customisations have you made?

Postby misterbleepy » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:22 am

micke wrote:I recommend carbon fiber. See my post further up. Will make your wood stiff as a rats dick.

Your deck stiffening does look very good, but that approach would be over budget at the mo.
I have used a couple of flat aluminium bars to do the job. I'll get some pics as soon as I stop wondering how stiff a rats dick is :lol:
misterbleepy
Geek

Postby misterbleepy » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:57 am

Stiffening bars are fitted, and deck no longer feels like it'll snap as soon as I go over a bump.

Needs a little more dremel attention as I think the truck hangers are hitting the bars on extreme turns.

Bonus - my stickers can't fall off now :)
misterbleepy
Geek

Postby Skinnychris » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:54 pm

Looks wicked and very purposeful! Lol

Sent from my Surface Pro 3 using Tapatalk
Growing old is inevitable.....growing up is optional
Skinnychris
I got new wheels

Postby misterbleepy » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:11 pm

Home made risers - from scrap plywood, recycled plastic coasters, cork coasters:

misterbleepy
Geek

Postby Kamaki » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:42 am

Does bushing combos count? I love messing with bushings and pivot cups. Today I cut down some reflex bushings for roadside, they are paired with venom boardside.
I've come to enjoy the art of falling.
Kamaki
nothing better to do

Postby wood tinka » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:07 pm

fook it, got bored so I cut an old deck up, can anyone see the original MAS sticker ? Image
wood tinka
skate skate skate

Postby Bullet » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:44 pm

(AW)
Part Animal - Part Machine
Bullet
I need a LIFE!

Postby misterbleepy » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:41 pm

Kamaki wrote:Does bushing combos count? I love messing with bushings and pivot cups. Today I cut down some reflex bushings for roadside, they are paired with venom boardside.

I think it does - I've done it a little - currently trying out a few things in some 6" Bennett Vectors to firm them up but without losing too much of their awesome turniness..
I also put really soft Holey bushings in the Bennetts on the deck I gave my daughter - nice and easy for her to turn now, and almost unrideably wobbly for me, so no chance of me stealing it back.
misterbleepy
Geek

Next

Return to How To - Maintenance