Grind king kingpins fitting to indy stage 5s

How to do anything with your board and wheels eg. Cleaning bearings, changing trucks

Grind king kingpins fitting to indy stage 5s

Postby flash » Thu May 29, 2014 11:39 pm

Well first time ive done this apparent conversion, ive read all sorts about this, ive hooked up a few times , and as my indys are well worn , and original kingpin is just proud of the axels , I needed to do something, so ere we go , i had issues with the bushings when I got the trucks, finally sorted them with supercush hards 99a on the bottom , then bones hards on top, plus new indy pivot cups , and was happy with their turning
Anyway , trucks off , then to knock old kingpins out, the kit came with two sleeved nuts , they look well cool, but wont fit the indys, I presume they are the standard nut fittings for the gk trucks, plus there were two plain kingpin nuts with the set, now these were a little to wide to fit into the basepate, plus the length of the new gk kingpins are shorter than the indys, ok what to do, well using a standard kp nut placed nylon first into the baseplate, tapped it home with a little epoxy resin to secure, ensuring it sat at the correct angle , then its just assembly the bushings back on kp then insert kp into nut in base, and tighten up, it seems pretty solid , ive lost a couple of mm in height now , but all seems well , feels nice and turny, maybe to much, we will see sunday, if needed I could always put a extra 1/8 riser on to get height back , I may have buggered em up , god knows, seems only way to do em without , major friggin about with baseplate, here's the pics
Attachments
IMG_201405290580.jpg
IMG_2014052928856.jpg
IMG_2014052659709.jpg
flash

Re: Grind king kingpins fitting to indy stage 5s

Postby flash » Thu May 29, 2014 11:40 pm

:D
Attachments
IMG_2014052922543.jpg
IMG_2014052951342.jpg
IMG_2014052942950.jpg
flash

Postby flash » Thu May 29, 2014 11:41 pm

:D much better me thinks , lets hope way I done it is ok, no more hook ups, seemed only way to do em , overall height is couple of mm lower , but thats due to having to make sure new kp was deep enough into securing nut ..-
Attachments
IMG_2014052934671.jpg
flash

Postby TonyB » Fri May 30, 2014 12:23 am

Tracker inverted kingpins are longer and won't have the same length issues. How far is the kingpin into the nut. If it's only just in you run the chance of snapping the new kingpin.

The Answer to ALL bearing questions is Rockin Rons
What is the best soft wheel? Orange Rainskates Tsunami 85a duro (available in various sizes)
My Collection
TonyB
NERD!

Postby flash » Fri May 30, 2014 1:13 am

TonyB wrote:Tracker inverted kingpins are longer and won't have the same length issues. How far is the kingpin into the nut. If it's only just in you run the chance of snapping the new kingpin.

Hi ya tony , its a good way in , almost to the end , it seems solid
flash

Postby Alec » Fri May 30, 2014 8:13 am

Shorter is good, as you tighten those down it's gonna bottom out on the deck (or the riser if it hasn't got a hole in it)
andre wrote: the 8 is a different beast altogether. you won't be thinking about truck geometry when you're just trying not to get killed. :mrgreen:
Alec
No fingers left from posting .... what a

Return to How To - Maintenance