First grip tape replacement - wouldn't come off!

How to do anything with your board and wheels eg. Cleaning bearings, changing trucks

First grip tape replacement - wouldn't come off!

Postby duck » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:24 pm

Tried replacing my grip tape for the first time yesterday. I watched a video about it but my attempt didn't go as smoothly by a long way. First the allen key sheared a few of the truck bolt sockets making it very hard to get them out - the bolt allen key holes seemed to be an in-between size which I didn't have in my key set. I had some spare bolts to replace them with so I didn't worry about wrecking them too much but it took a long time.

Before:

After heating the tape and cutting round the edge with a blade, I still couldn't get a proper hold of it around the nose or tail of the board without it just breaking off small pieces, so I decided to slice a line across the middle and start from there.

The tape was incredibly hard to get off and kept breaking, despite heating it up with a hair dryer as hot as I could bear with my fingers - kept burning them slightly on the hot glue. Under the tape was a pattern and the tape seemed to be stuck much harder to the bare-wood parts of the pattern.

I discovered a logo under the tape, although my cut had gone right through the middle of it. In some places the top layer of grit started coming off separate to the pvc layer underneath (shown in the pic below). In the end I got all the grit layer off, but left a lot of the pvc on there. I'm guessing as long as there's no actual grit left on the board, it won't hurt to stick the new tape over the remaining pvc.

The new tape went on fine, and I even got cocky and decided to cut a curved section out to keep the logo visible as a nice direction indicator :) You can see a 2nd curved line where I'd marked out the curved gap, before realising that only one cut was necessary, derrr.

Fairly pleased with the end result although it was much harder than I'd anticipated.

Anyone know what I did wrong that made it so hard to get the tape off?... Did I use it for too long before changing it? I've had the board for about 6 months. Is it okay to have left the pvc on? it seemed stuck fast so I can't imagine the new tape won't stay down over the top.
Amateur skate videos from somerset and beyond: http://youtube.com/robotduckvideo
duck
am I a skate geek

Re: First grip tape replacement - wouldn't come off!

Postby HarryR » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:01 pm

Well done. Next job - put some wheels on your bearings ;-)
Rose-tinted view of the days of our youth; we stood the test of time.
HarryR
anorak alert

Postby bazza5070 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:46 pm

HarryR wrote:Well done. Next job - put some wheels on your bearings ;-)

^^^:-) :-)

Sent from somewhere around 1976 :-)
I like all wheels as long as they are Kryptonics.....
bazza5070
Geek

Postby micke » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:18 pm

Keepin' it Real!
"You ride fucking indys bitch".
Coach Frank
micke
Bigger Geek

Postby bertslide » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:28 pm

Hair dryer???
You need to man up and use a proper tool for the job

cheers

It's fun fun fun fun fun til the pigs come round
bertslide
SHOOT ME!

Postby Corey » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:55 am

My 2 cents. Use a fan heater instead of a blowdryer.. I changed the grip on my ancient Stu Graham a while back, and I just left the board in front of the heater for a while and then used a razor to lift the edges and peeled the whole board fairly easily.
Corey
nothing better to do

Postby tom.hoffman » Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:48 pm

What brand of grip tape was that?
tom.hoffman
I got new wheels

Postby Dav » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:32 pm

Good old hairdryer man, works like a charm.
Dav
smell of grip tape

Postby bazza5070 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:15 pm

Hair dryer and a little bit of patience works wonders

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I like all wheels as long as they are Kryptonics.....
bazza5070
Geek

Postby duck » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:32 am

Not sure what brand the tape was - I got it off ebay so I'm not even sure if it was bought as a complete or was a custom setup. What you saw above was over half an hour's work with a hair dryer. I don't have a fan heater but I do have one of those old eyesores of a 70s gas heater which would probably do the job better next time.
Amateur skate videos from somerset and beyond: http://youtube.com/robotduckvideo
duck
am I a skate geek

Postby TonyB » Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:17 am

Although a hair dryer is recommended to soften the glue I think it also softens the grip tape. It's better to try and pull the grip tape off without heating if you can manage it. If that fails then try heating it up, but not so much that you can't hold it. I think you went to far with the heat and that's why you've so much trouble getting it off.

Tip - get a file (round if possible) and file the edges of your grip tape to neaten it up and give it a straight edge. It will take all the little uncut bits off and look a lot tidier.

The Answer to ALL bearing questions is Rockin Rons
What is the best soft wheel? Orange Rainskates Tsunami 85a duro (available in various sizes)
My Collection
TonyB
NERD!

Postby duck » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:51 pm

Well, 2nd time it was much easier. The old tape came off really easy without any heating up. (still shreds of the original tape under that though). New tape went on and I got a much neater edge and arc cut to leave the logo showing on the board.

All set for a sunny friday afternoon. Can't bloody wait.

duck
am I a skate geek

Postby Noidear » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:24 pm

Nice one Ben. Wish I could come down this afternoon and join you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.
Noidear
I got new wheels

Postby rutabowa » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:57 pm

Can I just stick grip tape over the top of the old one?
rutabowa
I skateboard

Postby Nut » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:59 pm

No!
Nut
nothing better to do

Postby Plan9Customs » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:29 am

^^^What he said!^^^
Plan9Customs
nothing better to do

Postby rutabowa » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:26 am

Why not!
rutabowa
I skateboard

Postby Dom1 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:48 am

duck wrote:Tried replacing my grip tape for the first time yesterday. I watched a video about it but my attempt didn't go as smoothly by a long way. First the allen key sheared a few of the truck bolt sockets making it very hard to get them out - the bolt allen key holes seemed to be an in-between size which I didn't have in my key set. I had some spare bolts to replace them with so I didn't worry about wrecking them too much but it took a long time.

Most truck screws are US/Imperial sized, you have probably got a set of Metric allen keys. Grab yourself a skate tool or a set of imperial keys for next time.
Dom1
Geek

Postby duck » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:59 am

Aha that explains that little mystery. Cheers Dom1 :)
duck
am I a skate geek

Postby Nut » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:07 am

rutabowa wrote:Why not!

The sticky bit needs something smooth to stick to, it simply wouldn't stay put.
Nut
nothing better to do

Postby undertime » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:36 am

Duck, this is a bit off topic, apologies, but seeing this deck, which I assume was your last one, compared to your new one in the 'next ride' thread, the difference is striking. I'm guessing this is about 8 and a traditional popsicle, whereas the other looks a lot wider and is shaped, with that killer beak.

So, my question to you sir is - has the new deck noticeably improved your pool riding and how did you find the transition (pun alert) from the old to the new? I'm hoping to try some pool stuff this year and am wondering about using a different set-up from my standard 'street' thing.

Any insights appreciated and sorry again for the (SCS)
More of the same old shit over at Instagram @undertime74
undertime
Super Geek

Postby rutabowa » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:08 pm

Nut wrote:
rutabowa wrote:Why not!

The sticky bit needs something smooth to stick to, it simply wouldn't stay put.

cool thanks. looks like I'll get the hair dryer out.
rutabowa
I skateboard

Postby Nut » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:01 pm

I just had a flick through that video.

For old griptape, you need a good long blast of heat to get started.

Then when you have an inch or so to tug on, use the heat to soften the glue of the next inch or so.

Repeat down the length of the board. I've never had griptape come off in one big piece like that.
Nut
nothing better to do

Postby rutabowa » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:56 pm

ha I am 100% prepared for it being many times more difficult than it looks like on youtube.
rutabowa
I skateboard

Postby rutabowa » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:48 pm

Well that was the first (and probably last) skate related thing that was actually easier to do than it looked on a youtube video. I got lucky and old stuff peeled off pretty easy, did a lot of it on the tube home without even a hairdryer
rutabowa
I skateboard

Postby duck » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:39 am

undertime wrote:Duck, this is a bit off topic, apologies, but seeing this deck, which I assume was your last one, compared to your new one in the 'next ride' thread, the difference is striking. I'm guessing this is about 8 and a traditional popsicle, whereas the other looks a lot wider and is shaped, with that killer beak.

So, my question to you sir is - has the new deck noticeably improved your pool riding and how did you find the transition (pun alert) from the old to the new? I'm hoping to try some pool stuff this year and am wondering about using a different set-up from my standard 'street' thing.

Any insights appreciated and sorry again for the (SCS)

The beak shape doesn't really make much of a difference at all, but then I don't do any sort of flip tricks, so maybe it would in those situations. It's 8.6" vs my old 8.1", so it does feel a bit more comfy underfoot, but it hasn't significantly improved my abilities at all as far as I can tell (yet), but I'm still getting used to it, so maybe it will in the longer run.

The main difference I've found is the truck setup feels much nicer, and makes it easier to do nice sharp carves. I have quite big risers on, so it's quite a high ride giving me a lot of turn with no wheelbite, even with 60mm wheels. And because they're and they're angled - both of the wedges have their smaller ends towards the front, which means the front trucks are extra turny and the rear trucks have a reduction in turny-ness, which seems to result in a nice fast but controllable turn.

So the board itself - the only significant change is a bit of extra width gives a slightly more comfortable feel. I think I'm slightly less likely to bail based on feeling like my feet are in the wrong spot. However the "feelgood" factor of the look of the board, the shape which I love, plus the top & bottom design shouldn't be underestimated. I'm sure there is a highly siginificant placebo effect with board-look that can affect performance far more than actual minor equipment details such as... oh... bearings, for example :lol:
duck
am I a skate geek

Postby undertime » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:38 am

Thanks for the feedback Duck. I'm surprised the board is only half an inch bigger, but then the smallest fractions seem to make a difference with deck widths. I started on an 8, moved to an 8.1 and the 8.375 I'm now on feels a world away in terms of comfort and stability. The truck set-up sounds interesting, and obviously works for you, but seeing as I've never ridden a bowl, and have no idea how to carve, may be a step too far for me in the near future.

And very interesting about the 'feel good' factor. If I understand you correctly, you're telling me to go out and buy a completely new set-up right now, releasing a huge rush of endorphins and instantly making me a better skater?

Well, it's got to be worth a try ..-
More of the same old shit over at Instagram @undertime74
undertime
Super Geek

Return to How To - Maintenance