Board Breakage

How to do anything with your board and wheels eg. Cleaning bearings, changing trucks

Board Breakage

Postby Robin.83 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:55 am

Hey people,

has anyone on here had experience of a board breaking really easily. I was out with one of the other MAS guys tonight in Leeds and as I was warming up with a few Ollies I landed one a little too much on the nose and it snapped off just at the truck, I couldn't believe it.
I don't way more than 12 Stone (168 Pounds) and have only really been skateboarding the deck since September. The skate park was cold and my board gets left in my hallway (which isn't the warmest of places), but I still didn't think this would be enough to break it in such a short period of time. Has anyone else managed to break a board way too easily?

It was a Magenta deck and the only other thing I can think of is that while I've been learning tricks I do have a tenancy to land a little too much on the nose. Shove-its and Pop Shove-its are my nemesis and I always seem to land on the front of my board for these.

Anyway, if anyone has any helpful insight into maintaining my board better so this doesn't happen again so easily that would be ace!
Attachments
Deck.jpg
Robin.83
skate skate skate

Re: Board Breakage

Postby Chimpwrestler » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:22 am

Good to skate with you again man!! I was bummed for you when it went so early and really glad you came back (slightly poorer) with a new deck, so I could demo how hard I can fall!!

As for the deck, I'm as non-plussed as you. The cold could be a factor, my old board lived in my garage for years and I skated it a few times without it going and I'm a heavier man than you, though that was the board I snapped with an Ollie too, so that could be it. But that board was 10+ years old and spent many of those in the garage, so it was almost inevitable that it would go. My other guess would be some crappy wood has slipped into the manufacturing and one ply has failed taking the rest with it. Maybe the glue mix for the plys was off on the day it was made or something? Is there anything noticeable, like a knot or weird part in one of the plys. It's probably just shitty luck in the end. If anyone can answer this, I'm sure it's one of the guys on here. I prepare for my hypotheses to be shot down...
Chimpwrestler
I got new wheels

Postby Ghoulie » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:24 am

I reckon you guys have pretty much covered it. The snapage is most likely due to a poor landing and plain bad luck. It sounds like you need to get out of the habit of landing on the nose, but you already know that.

The way people like to over analyse things on here though you may be told the precise temperature and position at which to store your board.

Similar subjects to this have been covered recently:
http://www.middle-age-shred.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=32204&p=478943&hilit=break#p478943
http://www.middle-age-shred.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=32451&p=482654&hilit=break#p482654
Ghoulie
I like skateboarding

Postby Robin.83 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:31 am

Cheers for the links Ghoulie,

I definitely have a problem with landing my Shov's and Pop-Shov's too far on the nose. I watch those Braille videos on Youtube and when Aaron is teaching Lance he says to lean back more and once I did that it definitely helped but I still land quite stetchy with my feet all over the place.

I did read an article last night when I got home about landing too heavy and I think that's a problem. Chimpwrestler noticed I land quite straight on my 180 ollies so it's something I must need to work on and I need to bend more in my landing to absorb the impact.
Robin.83
skate skate skate

Return to How To - Maintenance