bushing help

How to do anything with your board and wheels eg. Cleaning bearings, changing trucks

bushing help

Postby Vinnielopez » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:33 am

Ok I have Indy stage 11's with the standard bushings. I went to the skate park today and was working on fakie's back and forth (remember it's only been a couple of weeks since I got back into it) and I kept getting scary wobbles. Now I am 230 lbs and of course still shaky. Could it be my bushings? Should I go to a firmer bushing since I am heavier than your average kid skating?
Vinnielopez
smell of grip tape

Re: bushing help

Postby bertslide » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:29 am

Vinnielopez wrote:Ok I have Indy stage 11's with the standard bushings. I went to the skate park today and was working on fakie's back and forth (remember it's only been a couple of weeks since I got back into it) and I kept getting scary wobbles. Now I am 230 lbs and of course still shaky. Could it be my bushings? Should I go to a firmer bushing since I am heavier than your average kid skating?

1 - Weight isn't the problem (I'm heavier and run very soft bushings )
2 - As you say, you have only recently got back into skating, your balance won't be as good as you think (or hoped).

Take your time, you will not be as good as when you stopped skating, most returnees want to start where they left off 20 years ago, hence the broken wrist etc etc threads that regularly pop up on here.
Get the basics back, rolling down gentle hills carving, sliding and just fucking about before getting too serious. :lol:
cheers

It's fun fun fun fun fun til the pigs come round
bertslide
SHOOT ME!

Postby Bogey » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:56 am

I found that tightening the bushings down then loosening them every session helped me and also carrying a bit more speed helped too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bogey
I got new wheels

Postby micke » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:03 am

Bones hard core bushings. Hard or medium for you. Or a mix.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk
"You ride fucking indys bitch".
Coach Frank
micke
Bigger Geek

Postby skov » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:24 am

When you say you're working on fakies do you mean you're only getting the wobble whilst going fakie, or in both directions?
It's not uncommon to wobble more when going in reverse. Having one truck (the rear one I think) tighter/harder-bushed than the other can help.
skov
I got new wheels

Postby warwick » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:55 am

Harder bushings make your board more stable (but less turny). I'm 11st 12lb in English measures (=166lb) and I use Bones Harcore bushings (the hard ones) on ramps. You could try using those and tightening them down till it feels comfortably stable

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
warwick
I need a LIFE!

Postby JamesC » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:01 am

Best advice is to get the correct hardness of bushings to how much or little you want the truck to move and NOT to tighten a soft bushing to try and make the truck stiffer. Over tightening a soft bushing is much more likely to cause wobbles than a harder bushing done up loosely. Not sure why but I believe it's got something to do with stored energy in the bushing.
One trick if you want stability but still lots of turn is to put a hard barrel bushing boardside as this is what all the weight is on when going straight and a softer cone roadside to allow plenty of turn.
Another thing that can cause wobbles is the you are too tense, relax more and you'll probably find the wobbles go. It's the same principal when riding a bike or driving a car at speed, holding the bars or steering wheel too tight can induce speed wobble. I'm guessing the reason you are wobbling going fakie is because you aren't as comfortable and are tensing up.

James
Loose trucks save lives

http://skateboardmagazine.co.uk/ - Europe's Hottest Skateboard Magazine
JamesC
am I a skate geek

Postby Vinnielopez » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:24 pm

I did experience it more going backwards but had some in both directions. It was making things more scary than they needed to be. I'm sure a lot of it was me I was just thinking maybe a harder bushing would help me build confidence by not being quite so unstable I don't know.
Vinnielopez
smell of grip tape

Postby micke » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:37 pm

Try hard hard-cores!

Coach Frank
micke
Bigger Geek

Postby tom.hoffman » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:04 pm

Yes, you don't *need* harder bushings, you need stronger legs and better balance, but in the meantime, harder bushings should help you get your confidence back.
tom.hoffman
I got new wheels

Postby Vinnielopez » Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:18 am

I picked up Indy hard bushings to test it out I'm sure its me but I will see if at least these bushings help me out some. It's cheap enough to try out anyway.
Vinnielopez
smell of grip tape

bushing help

Postby micke » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:53 am

I had the same "problem" when I started out (total beginner). It really never felt stable (no matter how hard the bushing) until I tried Bones HC hard. Now I ride a combo of medium and soft.

In vert ramps I still use hard.

Coach Frank
micke
Bigger Geek

Postby Vinnielopez » Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:16 pm

Thanks micke I am trying these out and see how they feel It's definitely a combination of not skating for so long and needing better balance. I put the hard bushings in one of my boards and I can still turn the board well. Being overweight is also a factor I think at my weight the standard bushing from Indy is probably a little soft for me as well. Ultimately it falls with the skaters skill a skilled rider can shred on any board probably.
Vinnielopez
smell of grip tape

Postby richard phillips » Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:57 pm

hello Vinnie... try and learn to skate switch as well as normal, not tricks or anything just pushing and turning :idea:. this will train your brain to steer with the other foot, just like going fakie but you don't need a ramp 8) 8) 8) 8)
richard phillips
I got new wheels

Postby Vinnielopez » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:16 pm

good idea I will put that to use
Vinnielopez
smell of grip tape

Return to How To - Maintenance