Truck bushings question

How to do anything with your board and wheels eg. Cleaning bearings, changing trucks

Truck bushings question

Postby Kick You » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:58 pm

I've been searching tha interwebz but can't seem to find my answer. Maybe you folks can help me out.

I've been riding stock Indy's with the orange, 90A medium duro bushings. After a few months now, the top bushing is breaking apart, so I need to get some new ones.

I'm wondering if, because these 90A's are breaking up, I need to go with a softer or a harder duro?

My thought is that a softer, more pliable bushing would be better and not break apart as quickly, and better since I do more carving/kickturn type skating at the skate park and cruising on the street/sidewalk. But some other forums have said that the harder bushings don't break up as easily, though it makes the truck a lot stiffer to turn/carve.

At $10 a set, I can probably experiment a little to find the right combo, but I thought I'd get some opinions here first.

Anyone?
Kick You
skate skate skate

Re: Truck bushings question

Postby JadedOlive » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:03 pm

If you haven't tried them before, you might want to check out the Bones Hardcore Medium bushings. I think they're an 88a, but they have a plastic inner core.

Since putting them in my first set of Indy's, I haven't ever looked back. I run them pretty loose without any top or bottom washers, and I really enjoy the "surfy" feeling I get. Despite being loose enough that the trucks will wobble a bit if I pick the board up and shake it, it still feels pretty stable when going fast (my top push speed, no giant hill bombing here).
JadedOlive
I like skateboarding

Postby HarryR » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:51 pm

JadedOlive wrote:If you haven't tried them before, you might want to check out the Bones Hardcore Medium bushings. I think they're an 88a, but they have a plastic inner core.

Since putting them in my first set of Indy's, I haven't ever looked back.

Definitely agree with this. They're a good straight swap for stock Indy bushings and you won't regret it.

I never use stock Indys, they come straight out unused, I've got a few sets now. It's such a shame they supply great trucks with shite bushings. It wouldn't cost much more to supply them with decent ones from the start.
Rose-tinted view of the days of our youth; we stood the test of time.
HarryR
anorak alert

Postby Kick You » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:46 pm

Sounds like I'll need to give them a try then. Which duro would you suggest?
Kick You
skate skate skate

Truck bushings question

Postby HarryR » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:59 pm

Go for the mediums, hedge your bets :-)

Unless you're over 200 pounds in which case hard might be better ;-)
HarryR
anorak alert

Postby Fumanchu2 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:33 pm

HarryR wrote:Go for the mediums, hedge your bets :-)

Unless you're over 200 pounds in which case hard might be better ;-)

I agree with HarryR, I weigh in at 200 pounds and I just got a new set of Indys. I thought I would give the stock bushings a go since I figured maybe they were different now. Nope, way too soft and I put the bones in immediately. If I was about 20 pounds lighter I would go with Mediums for sure.
Fumanchu2
skate skate skate

Postby Kick You » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:04 pm

Damn, y'all are making me feel like a fat ass. I'm around 205-210, depending on the day. But it's all hard packed muscle! :lol:

So I went to one of the local shops and all they sold was Bones Hardcore bushings, no other brand(s). The guy there said that they're the best by far, and even showed me a box of like 50-60 sets of unused bushings that people had pulled out of their trucks when buying them new to replace them with Bones.

I got some mediums (yellow insert); it's what he suggested. I hadn't thought about weight. Too bad I installed them already or I'd take them back for the stiffer ones. I definitely like how they make the trucks look smoother/streamlined w/o the big fat bottom bushing and washer.

I'll see how they are at the park tonight. They were only $10, so I can get some stiffer ones if I need to. Thanks for the input! Hopefully they'll last a little longer than the stock Indy's.
Kick You
skate skate skate

Postby JadedOlive » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:41 pm

The mediums might be ok, I think the hard is only 90a anyway. Could always experiment with mixing and matching if you pick up another set of hards.
JadedOlive
I like skateboarding

Postby Brad Brains » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:45 pm

Yup, Bones medium: best $15 I've ever spent on skateboarding.
Skating since you were swimming in your Dad's nutsack.
Brad Brains
I got new wheels

Postby tom.hoffman » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:32 am

Regarding the original question, soft bushings generally wear out faster than harder ones, especially a soft top bushing.
tom.hoffman
I got new wheels

Postby Kick You » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:58 am

I didn't get to the park today, but I did cruise around the parking lot at work and on the sidewalk some.

WOW. What a difference from the stock bushings. The trucks feel completely different. I didn't realize how different it would be. They actually feel like they're finally working the way they were designed to work. Smooth, no squeaks, can carve easily, just....better. To me the difference is as drastic as when I changed from 60mm/95A OJII's to 65mm/86A Kryptonics. Waaaaaaay better.

I'm so far behind with this stuff. I know that most of you here have been doing mods since the '80's. But we never did. Back when I grew up we just skated what we had bought in the store, stock. But this is definitely and upgrade worth making.
Kick You
skate skate skate

Postby HarryR » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:36 am

Told ya ;-)

Glad you like 'em
HarryR
anorak alert

Postby haunted kneepad » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:05 am

so if i want to swap my indy bushings (stage 11 barrel bottom bushing) i want a simillar "turnyness" to whats in should i be looking at the mediums as i wasnt sure how much difference the conical shape would make
haunted kneepad
skate skate skate

Postby JadedOlive » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:20 am

I use bones mediums in all my stage 11s, and they make a big difference. I don't use any washers with them but some people still use the top one.
JadedOlive
I like skateboarding

Postby HarryR » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:13 am

haunted kneepad wrote:so if i want to swap my indy bushings (stage 11 barrel bottom bushing) i want a simillar "turnyness" to whats in should i be looking at the mediums as i wasnt sure how much difference the conical shape would make

They will probably feel more 'turny' but still stable. The urethane in them feels more responsive and the trucks will return to centre better.

Don't know if that answers your question? For the cost, you should just try them.

Here's how I have my stage 11s set up. This seemed to be the best arrangement to keep the hanger hole centred on the kingpin.

HarryR
anorak alert

Postby micke » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:51 pm

Yes Harry knows. Bones bushings is a different ball game. A better one. I haven't met anyone going back to indy bushings.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk
"You ride fucking indys bitch".
Coach Frank
micke
Bigger Geek

Postby haunted kneepad » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:27 am

HarryR wrote:
haunted kneepad wrote:so if i want to swap my indy bushings (stage 11 barrel bottom bushing) i want a simillar "turnyness" to whats in should i be looking at the mediums as i wasnt sure how much difference the conical shape would make

They will probably feel more 'turny' but still stable. The urethane in them feels more responsive and the trucks will return to centre better.

Don't know if that answers your question? For the cost, you should just try them.

Here's how I have my stage 11s set up. This seemed to be the best arrangement to keep the hanger hole centred on the kingpin.

yep that answers it,cheers, does the nut not cut into the bushing without the top washer?
haunted kneepad
skate skate skate

Truck bushings question

Postby micke » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:20 am

haunted kneepad wrote:
HarryR wrote:

yep that answers it,cheers, does the nut not cut into the bushing without the top washer?

Nope the bones is hard. Sort of like washer built in the bushing.

My carver C4 set up
Coach Frank
micke
Bigger Geek

Postby tom.hoffman » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:49 pm

haunted kneepad wrote:yep that answers it,cheers, does the nut not cut into the bushing without the top washer?

I would say it cuts in a little, and is a bit less supportive to the edges of the bushings. The only reason to not at least put a little flat washer in there is if you just don't have enough kingpin to fit a washer in there without compressing the bushing more than you want to. Indy kingpins are so short it makes a difference, so people put up with a little more stress on the bushing top. It works.
tom.hoffman
I got new wheels

Postby HarryR » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:59 pm

haunted kneepad wrote:does the nut not cut into the bushing without the top washer?

My experience is that it doesn't cut in at all. Here's the same truck as above over a year later after plenty of use.

HarryR
anorak alert

Postby richard phillips » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:09 pm

HarryR wrote:
haunted kneepad wrote:does the nut not cut into the bushing without the top washer?

My experience is that it doesn't cut in at all. Here's the same truck as above over a year later after plenty of use.

those indys need some real concrete grinding action harry, my last set which ive just replaced were only 5months old and half way to the axel :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
richard phillips
I got new wheels

Postby micke » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:35 pm

Hey Rich, you gotta be more gentle to your investments. Or use Skeleton Key grinders. Haha.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk
Coach Frank
micke
Bigger Geek

Postby richard phillips » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:37 pm

I know mike but that's the nature of kerb/street skating, indys you can grind them to the axel and they keep going :shock:. but I got sick of hanging up on the kingpins, which were sticking out way to far but other than that still useable :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
richard phillips
I got new wheels

Postby HarryR » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:38 pm

richard phillips wrote:those indys need some real concrete grinding action harry, my last set which ive just replaced were only 5months old and half way to the axel :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

I was thinking that myself when I posted the pic. My excuse is that I don't skate street, it is the front truck and it's mostly been used on metal coping ;-)

The back one is more ground, honest :lol:
HarryR
anorak alert

Postby Kernow49er » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:36 am

Sorry for ducking in so late in the thread . i think when this thread was started last year I would have pissed myself laughing if someone told me i would be suffering from a skateboarding addiction that started in October in Florida ! ( even when recovering from a skate dislocated shoulder )

So if you dont care about frequent replacements through wear and tear ( skateboarding is cheap anyway ) and you aspire to be able to crank the board hard around the corners of a mini bowl like jay adams in the egg bowl , should I invest in the softest blue Bones bushings ?

Im currently running yellows on Thieve trucks and still want more turn out them .

If you've not seen this video your missing a classic

https://youtu.be/An-_rW5OqOQ?list=FLs-q ... 7ROvJ3cfJQ
Kernow49er
I skateboard

Postby misterbleepy » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:22 pm

Kernow49er wrote:So if you dont care about frequent replacements through wear and tear ( skateboarding is cheap anyway ) and you aspire to be able to crank the board hard around the corners of a mini bowl like jay adams in the egg bowl , should I invest in the softest blue Bones bushings ?

Im currently running yellows on Thieve trucks and still want more turn out them .

Softer bushings might help, but they might not.
Do you know if you're getting wheelbite when you turn hard? Look for little skidmarks on the underside of your deck.
If there's no sign, then it's worth trying softer bushings, but if you are seeing signs of wheelbite, then softening your truck bushings may not help with tighter turns, as you may already be at the limit of how much your trucks can turn.
You could put taller risers on, so the trucks can turn further - or use wedged risers to angle your trucks to get more turn for the same amount of board lean (thick ends of risers towards the middle of the deck).
Or you could change to a turnier truck - but I'm not sure what is turnier than Theeve trucks (apart from your Carvers and Bennets).
If you want to fiddle around with wedge risers, I have some, and if you want to try Indys and/or Bennets, I have some of those too. Feel free to drop buy and look in my big box of random skateboard bits :-)
Keith B. - still riding goofy
misterbleepy
Geek

Postby Kernow49er » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:18 pm

Cheers Keith , Seeing as I have very slight scuffs from wheel bite I will sick with yellow bushes , do those wedged risers make much difference ? i will borrow those sometime for sure !!

All this is somewhat irrelevant , physio strongly advised me to keep off the board for another 4 weeks this morning

I guess Im a try MAS skater now , injury free honeymoon period is well behind me now
Kernow49er
I skateboard

Postby misterbleepy » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:51 pm

Kernow49er wrote:Cheers Keith , Seeing as I have very slight scuffs from wheel bite I will sick with yellow bushes , do those wedged risers make much difference ? i will borrow those sometime for sure

Not sure how much difference they will make, but cheaper to try than new trucks.
I have the Bennets set up on my old school style pig/pool deck, just not tried it out yet - might get to MH on Friday and give it a go
Keith B. - still riding goofy
misterbleepy
Geek

Postby tom.hoffman » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:28 pm

If you've got Theeves and Bones mediums, it should be possible to make your corner carves. Those Jay Adams and Fingers Murray moves are more dependent on how they're throwing their body around than how turny their trucks are. If you think about Adams style, he's all power -- he's not the guy who is going to have to shift to a softer bushing because he's not getting enough compression out of a medium bushing.

See also Jay repping the Khiro medium-hard yellows (92A): http://www.khiroskateboardproducts.com/ ... ams-ad.jpg

I don't think I've ever seen a pro using Bones softs, and the only pro I know of that uses anything that soft is Duane Peters.

Having said all that, I use Bones soft top bushings with soft barrels below. I like very turny trucks because of the feel, and it encourages you to learn tighter carves -- but once you understand the body mechanics, you can do the same thing with harder bushings.
tom.hoffman
I got new wheels

Postby Andrew_Culture » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:44 am

I've been wondering the whole time I've had indys why everyone loves them so much when thunder turn so good. I guess some bones medium might change my mind :)
Andrew_Culture
I need a LIFE!

Postby Opeth » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:38 am

Help please, bought a set of bones yellow bushings put them in, they're making a bit of a noise, creaking sound, is this normal. I rode them yesterday, don't seem to be as turny as the originals, even backing them off, will they improve over time.

Cheers.
Opeth
I skateboard

Postby Bleary » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:46 pm

New bushes creaking is not uncommon IME. The noise is just the bushings not smoothly moving in their seats - think of it as miniscule 'judders' which you hear as creaks. It normally dissappears quickly as the bushings settle/mould release wears off/you adjust them to suit your riding but if it really bothers you try a few fine soap shavings in the bushing seats to lubricate them (works for squeaky pivot cups too)
Bleary
nothing better to do

Postby Opeth » Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:24 pm

Thanks Bleary.
Opeth
I skateboard

Postby GoR64 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:51 pm

Some people use furniture polish or paraffin (cheapy candles, which also work well as wax if you skate curbs) but it could just as well be the pivot cup as the bushing seat.
Don't call it a comeback...
GoR64
Bigger Geek

Postby Opeth » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:32 am

Took the bones bushings out, and put the stock ones back in, able to turn tighter with the stock bushings.
Opeth
I skateboard

Postby rutabowa » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:00 pm

i've just gone from the independent stock medium to independent soft, they're still not turning enough really... if i was to get a set of bones hardcore to try would i go medium or soft?
rutabowa
I skateboard

Postby Andrew_Culture » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:07 pm

rutabowa wrote:i've just gone from the independent stock medium to independent soft, they're still not turning enough really... if i was to get a set of bones hardcore to try would i go medium or soft?

I've just gone from independent stock to bones medium and they are very turny indeed. In fact I'm not sure I'd be able to skate the softs!
Andrew_Culture
I need a LIFE!

Postby Tuhnafisch » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:31 pm

What's your weight?
Mine is ~80 kg and the medium lasted about a half Year.
I know use the hard ones.
Not so turny as the medium ones but still more turny than the Stock Indy's
German Guy with bad English but much Love for Skateboarding:)
Tuhnafisch
skate skate skate

Postby Andrew_Culture » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:23 pm

Tuhnafisch wrote:What's your weight?
Mine is ~80 kg and the medium lasted about a half Year.
I know use the hard ones.
Not so turny as the medium ones but still more turny than the Stock Indy's

I'm about 100kg
Andrew_Culture
I need a LIFE!

Postby warwick » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:30 pm

I'm 12st (not sure what that is in KGs). My Bones hardcore hard last pretty much forever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
warwick
I need a LIFE!

Postby Hagwag » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:48 am

In my experience Indys kill bushings pretty quickly due to their tippy nature.

Had the same set in my Theeves for about 2 years and apart from being a bit grubby they're like new.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk
Mongo Pride
Hagwag
monuMENTAL GEEK

Postby rutabowa » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:39 am

Andrew_Culture wrote:
rutabowa wrote:i've just gone from the independent stock medium to independent soft, they're still not turning enough really... if i was to get a set of bones hardcore to try would i go medium or soft?

I've just gone from independent stock to bones medium and they are very turny indeed. In fact I'm not sure I'd be able to skate the softs!

was it independent medium or soft you had in originally?
rutabowa
I skateboard

Postby Andrew_Culture » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:05 pm

rutabowa wrote:
Andrew_Culture wrote:

was it independent medium or soft you had in originally?

No idea, it was whatever came with the trucks.
Andrew_Culture
I need a LIFE!

Return to How To - Maintenance