Oh so THAT is why nobody skates in the rain

How to do anything with your board and wheels eg. Cleaning bearings, changing trucks

Oh so THAT is why nobody skates in the rain

Postby Andrew_Culture » Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:26 pm

Last week I got totally fed up with waiting for the rain to stop and the ground to dry, but it just wasn't happening. So I went for a skate when there was still surface water sitting on the ground.

The ride was slippery and it took an age to clean and dry my board, but on the whole I didn't think any harm had been done. Then today I idly spun my wheels as I walked past my board, and the wheels didn't move. At all. Arse.

I took the wheels off and gave the bearings a good wipe with a bit of cloth. Then I ran some of the winter lube I use on my road bike around the inner ring of the bearing and wiped off the excess.

The wheels now move again, but I doubt I'll bother skating in the wet again :(

I assume chain lube will shift out the teeny tiny bits of crud in the bearings in much the same way it pushes out the bits of crud from between the plates on a bike chain?
Andrew_Culture
I need a LIFE!

Re: Oh so THAT is why nobody skates in the rain

Postby HarryR » Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:02 pm

When I saw the thread title I thought you were going to say that you'd had an almighty slam ;-) Just as well it's only the bearings eh?
Rose-tinted view of the days of our youth; we stood the test of time.
HarryR
anorak alert

Postby duck » Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:38 pm

Yes same here, I was worried you'd done yourself a nasty injury, that's definitely why I don't skate in the rain!
Amateur skate videos from somerset and beyond: http://youtube.com/robotduckvideo
duck
am I a skate geek

Postby Andrew_Culture » Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:52 pm

I managed to be a grown up and decided to go home when it got really wet, instead of having that fatal 'just one more go' that is always the one more go that results in an epic slam :)
Andrew_Culture
I need a LIFE!

Postby richard phillips » Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:03 pm

Andrew_Culture wrote:Last week I got totally fed up with waiting for the rain to stop and the ground to dry, but it just wasn't happening. So I went for a skate when there was still surface water sitting on the ground.

The ride was slippery and it took an age to clean and dry my board, but on the whole I didn't think any harm had been done. Then today I idly spun my wheels as I walked past my board, and the wheels didn't move. At all. Arse.

I took the wheels off and gave the bearings a good wipe with a bit of cloth. Then I ran some of the winter lube I use on my road bike around the inner ring of the bearing and wiped off the excess.

The wheels now move again, but I doubt I'll bother skating in the wet again :(

I assume chain lube will shift out the teeny tiny bits of crud in the bearings in much the same way it pushes out the bits of crud from between the plates on a bike chain?

skating in the rain and water ruins the boards pop and stiffness making it soggy, the water dissolves the glue which holds the ply's together and the board dies :!: :!: :!: :!:
richard phillips
I got new wheels

Postby Andrew_Culture » Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:19 pm

richard phillips wrote:
Andrew_Culture wrote:
skating in the rain and water ruins the boards pop and stiffness making it soggy, the water dissolves the glue which holds the ply's together and the board dies :!: :!: :!: :!:

Oh I won't be doing it again!
Andrew_Culture
I need a LIFE!

Postby Dom1 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:51 am

Pah, it's what WD40 was invented for..... ..-
Dom1
Geek

Postby Andrew_Culture » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:40 am

Dom1 wrote:Pah, it's what WD40 was invented for..... ..-

If there was a like button I'd click it! For some reason that photo has made me really want a mountain bike again!
Andrew_Culture
I need a LIFE!

Postby JadedOlive » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:08 pm

Zealous Bearings aren't too expensive and they hold up pretty well under crappy conditions. Best to use an old deck you aren't worried about.

I generally try to go for at least a brief skate up to the donut shop for coffee whenever the roads are relatively dry. Definitely need to be careful this time of year though. I almost ate shit at the end of my street going through some wet leaves. Might as well have been a sheet of ice the way my board shot out as I tried to carefully make my turn. Jumped back on and went to push and it went flying again. Got the heart pumping that's for sure.
JadedOlive
I like skateboarding

Postby Andrew_Culture » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:54 pm

Funny you should mention bearings. It's a bit off topic but one of my clients uses SKF bearings in their big industrial machines. They're cheaper than any bearings with 'skating' written on the side and can tell a helluva amount of abuse. I wonder if any skaters use SKF bearings?
Andrew_Culture
I need a LIFE!

Postby GoR64 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:15 pm

Micke on here does, being Swedish. I rode in the rain all last winter, with big offset wheels, weatherproofing your longboard and regular cleaning it isn't too much of an issue. Gunk in the griptape was the most annoying, so be prepared to change it a couple times and use lower grit :)
Don't call it a comeback...
GoR64
Bigger Geek

Postby Noidear » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:54 pm

Another one for SKF here. Low friction energy efficient versions and available to buy individually. I really like them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.
Noidear
I got new wheels

Postby Andrew_Culture » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:58 pm

Good to know! My client swears by them and they really know their stuff when it comes to engineering.
Andrew_Culture
I need a LIFE!

Postby HarryR » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:42 am

Andrew_Culture wrote:Funny you should mention bearings. It's a bit off topic but one of my clients uses SKF bearings in their big industrial machines. They're cheaper than any bearings with 'skating' written on the side and can tell a helluva amount of abuse. I wonder if any skaters use SKF bearings?

I have these stashed away waiting for some new wheels.

HarryR
anorak alert

Postby Andrew_Culture » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:57 am

HarryR wrote:
Andrew_Culture wrote:Funny you should mention bearings. It's a bit off topic but one of my clients uses SKF bearings in their big industrial machines. They're cheaper than any bearings with 'skating' written on the side and can tell a helluva amount of abuse. I wonder if any skaters use SKF bearings?

I have these stashed away waiting for some new wheels.

Oh wow, I didn't realise they made specific skate bearings! I was going to try some industrial jobbies :)
Andrew_Culture
I need a LIFE!

Postby HarryR » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:43 pm

I'm sure the industrial jobbies will be just the same ;-)
HarryR
anorak alert

Postby richard phillips » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:07 pm

mirco industrial bearings are greased and proper skate bearing are lightly oiled/lubed, greased ones last a lot longer but are a lot slower than lighly oiled bearings :wink:. NMB and NSK still make oiled skate bearings which are about £10 a set, the were also the skate industry standard for nearly 30yrs 8) 8) 8) 8)
richard phillips
I got new wheels

Postby Andrew_Culture » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:01 pm

richard phillips wrote:mirco industrial bearings are greased and proper skate bearing are lightly oiled/lubed, greased ones last a lot longer but are a lot slower than lighly oiled bearings :wink:. NMB and NSK still make oiled skate bearings which are about £10 a set, the were also the skate industry standard for nearly 30yrs 8) 8) 8) 8)

So that's the difference! Thank you!
Andrew_Culture
I need a LIFE!

Return to How To - Maintenance