Weight issue

How to do anything with your board and wheels eg. Cleaning bearings, changing trucks

Weight issue

Postby Moi » Wed May 04, 2016 7:45 am

My “bag of tricks” (because I can’t do anything else :D ) consists of mostly various street-plat variations. They are very easy to learn and super fun! You can do them on transitions, benches, flatground and everywhere in between. The trick basically consists of planting one hand on the ground, picking your board up with your other hand, do some flipy thingy, and then jump back on the board. But here is the problem: my usual setup is a 9.5” board with 169 indys and 60 bones spfs. It rides like a charm in bowls and around the park – but it is heaaaavy as f***.

The other day I picked up this tiny miniscule thing that was lying around the park – it must have been a 7.75” – and I tried doing my plants – and it was an eye opener! I never had so much fun doing my “tricks”. However, when I tried to ollie this popsicle, it simply disappeared from under my feet. And I can’t even imagine riding any sort of transition on this. So—what to do? I would basically have to change my board for different tricks… Does anybody else have a similar issue?

-- I couldn't find any relevant threads on this topic so please- redirect me there, if such topic exists --
Moi
What mid life crisis ?

Re: Weight issue

Postby reckless toboggan » Wed May 04, 2016 7:56 am

Moi skater wrote:My “bag of tricks” (because I can’t do anything else :D ) consists of mostly various street-plat variations.

I don't have anything relevant to add, except that if I added 2 more tricks to my bag, I could play a mean game of S.K.A.
reckless toboggan
I got new wheels

Postby undertime » Wed May 04, 2016 8:00 am

I kind of posted a thread on something similar to this here viewtopic.php?f=3&t=34133&p=506028#p506028

It's not about exactly the same issue, but it does concern the need to swap boards for different things (in my case transition and 'street').

I've been using two boards for a few weeks now and it seems to work for me. Maybe consider a smaller deck for your plants etc and a bigger set-up for other stuff? Or a compromise deck of intermediate size?
More of the same old shit over at Instagram @undertime74
undertime
Super Geek

Postby GoR64 » Wed May 04, 2016 10:55 am

I have one for street/park and one for big stuff, but they feel so different it takes ages to get used to the change between them. 9.5's a real big board though, I reckon you could get used to an 8.5 with 149's for both, if you can get into street plants your weight can't be that much of an issue?

You've got to post a video though, I can't do them so I love seeing street plants :D
Don't call it a comeback...
GoR64
Bigger Geek

Postby irishlostboy » Wed May 04, 2016 11:03 pm

ah, the memories of mid 90's when all you could get were those awful toothpicks. and tiny wheels. yuck.
If you want a big board, with light construction, maybe look at carbon for the deck.
https://www.facebook.com/Bennyscompositeskatboards1/?fref=ts
Indys are great, but not light. there are other trucks with the same width but lighter construction surely? Wheels, I guess the only fix is to go smaller or thinner, but who wants to do that. I gotta learn streetplants. look like fun.
irishlostboy
I got new wheels

Postby Moi » Thu May 05, 2016 8:21 am

Thank you all for your answers.

Agree, 9.5” is a fairly large boat of a board. But I love the comfort I get when riding one. So I just might look into these carbon boards… As per indys – I have been riding them since forever… I guess it is time for a change. And I see there is a thread on trucks so I might put a question there regarding the “lightest trucks” on the market.

And as far as plants go – go for it! :) My only advise is this: do not JUMP on your planting hand (meaning do not transfer your weight on it in a jerking/jumping motion—if this makes any sense). I did this while learning and hurt my elbow pretty bad. Try doing a cartwheel with only one hand without the board first. Then just add your board... And doing it on a patch of grass helps ;)
Moi
What mid life crisis ?

Postby irishlostboy » Thu May 05, 2016 11:59 pm

Thanks for the tips. Not much info for handplants around, so it is very much appreciated.
I have a carbon board on order. Will post a review here when I try it
irishlostboy
I got new wheels

Postby misterbleepy » Fri May 06, 2016 11:38 am

Regarding trucks and weight - there is a 'database' of truck sizes, weights, etc here if you want to look at loads of numbers:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0
Keith B. - still riding goofy
misterbleepy
Geek

Return to How To - Maintenance