Wheels

How to do anything with your board and wheels eg. Cleaning bearings, changing trucks

Wheels

Postby Opeth » Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:54 pm

Noticed when I was at the skatepark yesterday that my wheels are rubbing on my deck. Thinking now should have gone for 55mm diameter wheels rather than 60, so now thinking riser pads will 1/8" be enough or should I go 1/4".

Thanks
Opeth
I skateboard

Re: Wheels

Postby misterbleepy » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:32 pm

if the rubbing isn't throwing you off the board, then you could just leave things as they are.
If you buy 1/8" risers, and your wheels still rub, you could just buy another set and stack them to get 1/4", and then maybe get slightly smaller wheels next time you get new ones and take one or both risers out.
Experimentation is the only sure way to find the right height for your truck/wheel/deck setup.
Keith B. - still riding goofy
misterbleepy
Geek

Postby irishlostboy » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:44 pm

Would depend on your truck height and tightness and on your skating style. I have always skated big wheels and always gotten some wheelbite.it has not taken me off, so I leave it as is.
irishlostboy
I got new wheels

Postby Opeth » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:59 pm

Hi, thanks for the replies.
Opeth
I skateboard

Wheels

Postby HarryR » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:32 pm

I notice from your other posts that your trucks are mini logos. They are quite low to start with (5mm lower than Indys). You also asked about tightening your trucks which suggests that you've got them set quite turny. With 60mm wheels you will definitely get wheel bite and I would suggest risers are a must.

I have a board with mini logo trucks and 60mm rat bones which will be very similar to your setup with Kryps. I've got 1/4" and 1/8" risers stacked on that.

EDIT: pic added
Rose-tinted view of the days of our youth; we stood the test of time.
HarryR
anorak alert

Postby misterbleepy » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:43 am

Good spot HarryR. I have some Mini-Logo trucks (the widest ones they do) and I use them with ½" risers. Most of my wheels are 60mm or thereabouts.
Keith B. - still riding goofy
misterbleepy
Geek

Postby bazza5070 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:15 am

I run Mini-Logo's with 60mm Kryps and 1/8th risers, I rarely get wheelbite but must admit I don't like my trucks too lose at the park. If you go with 1/4 risers with looser trucks you should be fine. As long as you are carrying some speed the wheelbite won't be an problem just a bit disconcerting sometimes!
I like all wheels as long as they are Kryptonics.....
bazza5070
Geek

Postby pete » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:39 am

I always get some wheel bite in the bowl, never notice it when I'm skating but my deck shows burn marks where they rub.

never felt the need to change though as it doesn't effect anything :)
pete
nothing better to do

Postby Brian S » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:05 am

pete wrote:I always get some wheel bite in the bowl, never notice it when I'm skating but my deck shows burn marks where they rub.

never felt the need to change though as it doesn't effect anything :)

Yeah if you have turney trucks you do notice wheel rub on the deck mainly on the front without even realising it , only worry if it's chucking you off, I ride 1/4 risers on Gullwing DLX Shadows & Indy's with between 58mm - 63mm wheels with no problem
Brian S
monuMENTAL GEEK

Postby Bogey » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:29 pm

It won't stop wheel bite but I rub candle wax into the wells and it seems to snag rather than really bite now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bogey
I got new wheels

Postby Opeth » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:30 pm

Hi thanks again for the replies, ordered 1/4" risers.
Opeth
I skateboard

Postby GoR64 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:54 pm

Bogey wrote:It won't stop wheel bite but I rub candle wax into the wells and it seems to snag rather than really bite now.

So you're the one getting wax all over my coping :P
Don't call it a comeback...
GoR64
Bigger Geek

Postby TonyB » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:20 pm

If you are getting wheel bite go faster! And maybe go for 1/4" risers with 60mm wheels.

The Answer to ALL bearing questions is Rockin Rons
What is the best soft wheel? Orange Rainskates Tsunami 85a duro (available in various sizes)
My Collection
TonyB
NERD!

Postby Jimmycakes401 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:53 am

Yeah. Same here. 58mm with Indys. I have 1/8 shock pads and get wheel bite now andvthen. Nothing that stops me. I'll be waxing to start but may raise them to see if it's affecting my kick turns. I have loose trucks.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Current pipe setup: Welcome Sloth Hammer Head Deck, Spitfire Formula 4 58mm 99a, Hollow Indi trucks, soft bones bushins, Redz bearings
Jimmycakes401
nothing better to do

Postby TonyB » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:14 pm

Wax is an evil creation of Beelzebub that should not be mentioned on a proper mans skateboarding site. (w) (w) (w) (w) (w) (w) (w)

I couldn't bare the thought of waxing a deck that IMO is just silly. Go faster and don't worry about a bit of wheelbite or add a bit of riser if you're just not comfortable. Waxing a deck is for kids (who can't skate)

Might as well get some skinny girls jeans and skate with your pants out!!!

EDIT - Have you ever been to a skatepark and had you board just wash out from under you or slide off the coping when it shouldn't? That will be the build up of wax or the fact that some numpty (most probably a fruitbooter) has waxed the coping so much its bloody lethal.

WAX IS EVIL AND SHOULD BE BANNED!!!!!
Last edited by TonyB on Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

What is the best soft wheel? Orange Rainskates Tsunami 85a duro (available in various sizes)
My Collection
TonyB
NERD!

Postby Jimmycakes401 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:10 pm

Thanks Tony B. Hadn't thought of that. In fact I hadn't thought about wax till this thread. Lol. I'll skip it. Guess I'd be getting wax on my wheels too.

But I'm not taking off my skinny jeans!! I look rad!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Current pipe setup: Welcome Sloth Hammer Head Deck, Spitfire Formula 4 58mm 99a, Hollow Indi trucks, soft bones bushins, Redz bearings
Jimmycakes401
nothing better to do

Postby TonyB » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:49 pm

Good man Jimmy - I'm glad my thoughts have made you think again.

WAX IS EVIL!!

My Collection
TonyB
NERD!

Postby Plan9Customs » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:20 am

First 6 seconds of this pretty much sums it up:

Don't push!
I've only had wheel bite toss me a couple times. Last one was from the top of the 8' taco(hit the kink coming back in off a f/s grind). Wasn't going slow. Barely had enough time to get my hands out to save my face from meeting cement. I ride my trucks really loose though.
Plan9Customs
nothing better to do

Postby slappy_grind » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:25 pm

I wasn't sure where to put this question. So I'll put it here.
I've always just skated wheels around 100 in durometer. But I've built myself up a board for cruising around on. I tried some 60mm 78a wheels, and they were really nice and fast and smooth. However, slightly too grippy. I've also tried 61mm 97a which were better for sliding, but much slower on the same slightly rough hill I sped down with the other wheels. My question is: are 86a wheels a nice middle ground? Smooth on rough surfaces, but still able to slide a bit? Or are they going to be very similar to either the 76a or 97a wheel?
thanks.
slappy_grind
What mid life crisis ?

Postby TonyB » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:00 pm

Depends on the wheel and urethane used. I don't really get what it is you are after, there isn't usually a one wheel fixes all solutions. Soft for cruising hard for sliding.

My Collection
TonyB
NERD!

Postby wavesnwheels » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:45 pm

I've got a set of ricta clouds, the red ones, 86a 53mm. I think they'll give you what you've after. I was surprised by how good they were for a do it all wheel, soft enough for the rough stuff and still go reasonably well in the park and you can slide them.
It was posts on mas that put me on to them. A search on here will give you loads of info.
wavesnwheels
I skateboard

Postby slappy_grind » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:26 pm

TonyB wrote:Depends on the wheel and urethane used. I don't really get what it is you are after, there isn't usually a one wheel fixes all solutions. Soft for cruising hard for sliding.

I guess I was hoping for a bit of a jack of all trades, master of none wheel. I think I'll try out some of the Rictas that wavesnwheels suggested.
slappy_grind
What mid life crisis ?

Postby slappy_grind » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:27 pm

wavesnwheels wrote:I've got a set of ricta clouds, the red ones, 86a 53mm. I think they'll give you what you've after. I was surprised by how good they were for a do it all wheel, soft enough for the rough stuff and still go reasonably well in the park and you can slide them.
It was posts on mas that put me on to them. A search on here will give you loads of info.

Thanks for the info! I think I'll give them a try.
slappy_grind
What mid life crisis ?

Postby xsaraman » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:41 pm

I have. 100a on trick setup.
Spitfire 80hd on cruiser setup.
And on my all around, rough spot, slippery mini ramp setup. I have Mini Logo side cut 90a 54mm wheels. I really like these.
Those Ricta clouds are interesting, but hard to get. Where i live.
xsaraman
What mid life crisis ?

Postby tom.hoffman » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:03 pm

There is an entire separate segment of the skateboard/longboard wheel market pretty much exclusively dedicated to the finer points of going sideways downhill on soft wheels. Look at "freeride" wheels. There are a number of lengthy explanations of what properties make a soft wheel slide -- shape of the lip is a big one.
tom.hoffman
I got new wheels

Postby wavesnwheels » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:30 am

slappy_grind wrote:
wavesnwheels wrote:I've got a set of ricta clouds, the red ones, 86a 53mm. I think they'll give you what you've after. I was surprised by how good they were for a do it all wheel, soft enough for the rough stuff and still go reasonably well in the park and you can slide them.

Thanks for the info! I think I'll give them a try.

Edit: mine are 55mm not 53mm
wavesnwheels
I skateboard

Return to How To - Maintenance