Truck break in period.

How to do anything with your board and wheels eg. Cleaning bearings, changing trucks

Truck break in period.

Postby Shogun » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:00 pm

I threw a new set up together and put some indy 169's and soft bushings on it and I loosened the kingpin nut a little but it still feels pretty tight. I don't ride everyday mind you but I mean i feel like it might be taking a little long to break these trucks in anyone have something they do when they put new trucks on to get em broken in quicker?
Shogun
What mid life crisis ?

Re: Truck break in period.

Postby TonyB » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:27 pm

You are really refering to the bushes and not the whole truck. If you have the correct bushes installed there shouldn't be a break in as you can swap bushes so easily and there are loads of options out there.

Just ride the set up you'll get used to it in a few hours. If it still doesn't feel right swap the bushes out.

The Answer to ALL bearing questions is Rockin Rons
What is the best soft wheel? Orange Rainskates Tsunami 85a duro (available in various sizes)
My Collection
TonyB
NERD!

Postby The Reptile House » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:49 pm

Breaking bushings in is an interesting one. Some seem to need it, some don't.

I had some Aces not long ago. Had the nut all the way off, flush with top of kingpin. Initially they felt really fluid. Then they started feeling harder, which was really annoying. However, a few hours more and they mellowed out again - feeling only slightly harder than how they'd originally been.

It's worth having a look at the opinion about trucks on Skateboarding Is My Lifetime Sport blog, because he often mentions if he feels OEM bushings need breaking in - or if an alternative is better:

http://skateboardingismylifetimesport.blogspot.co.uk

Some of it is a bit out of date, but it's a good basis.
The Reptile House
I got new wheels

Postby tom.hoffman » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:48 pm

I'd note that the break in feeling is sometimes a reflection of the pivot bushing as well as the kingpin bushing.
tom.hoffman
I got new wheels

Return to How To - Maintenance