Making Indys feel like Thunders?

Making Indys feel like Thunders?

Postby reckless toboggan » Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:22 am

Me: Indy skater for life.

Triedy buddys stock Thunder 147 holi's: Oh oh.

To put it simply, the thunders feel intuitive.

How do I make my Indy hollow forged 139's feel like my Thunder 147 hollow lights.

There's got to be a bushing solution.

I love the way the stock Thunder 147 holi trucks with the stock white bushings feel and turn. Stability when you want it, dives into the turns when you need to save a landing.

I skate street, ledges, rails, curbs, banks, not much tranny at all.

What Bones or Indy bushings (including combos of hard/med/soft boardside and streetside) will make my Indy 139 forged hollows feel/turn like my Thunder holi's with the stock white Thunder bushings?

Currently running Bones Hardcore Hard with boardside washer and no roadside washer on my Indys. These feel a bit restrictive compared to the stock Thunder holi's with the stock white Thunder bushings.

FYI I'm 5'11" 175#.

Help?
reckless toboggan
I got new wheels

Re: Making Indys feel like Thunders?

Postby bertslide » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:18 am

Buy Thunders

Found thunders were better turning back in the 80's never looked back
cheers

It's fun fun fun fun fun til the pigs come round
bertslide
SHOOT ME!

Postby HarryR » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:28 am

I've no idea what the answer might be but thinking about this there are a couple of questions to consider.

Firstly, what are the differences in geometry between the Indys and Thunders? If there is a significant difference then they may never feel the same irrespective of which bushings are used. The angle of the kingpin and the pivot and the height of the axle will all affect how the truck feels.

Secondly, what duro are the Thunder bushings? What size are they and will they fit in Indys? If they'll fit why not just try them to see how close or otherwise they might be? If they're different with the same or similar bushings then I guess you're down to trying to figure out the differences caused by the geometry and what forces are changed and what hardness adjustments might be needed to compensate.

Also consider the duro of the pivot cup as this may affect how they respond. Wedged risers might be another option to consider.

Longboarders might have more insight into this because they're more likely to play around with truck angles, and mixing up bushings of different duros.

You could always just ditch the Indys and move completely over to Thunders although that feels like heresy to me. ;-)
Rose-tinted view of the days of our youth; we stood the test of time.
HarryR
anorak alert

Postby Corey » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:29 am

Dude. I have almost the exact problem. Keep going back and forth between Indys and Thunders. The Indys are solid, smooth and flowy - but there´s just something about the lightness, stability and turning response of Thunders..

HarryR wrote:Firstly, what are the differences in geometry between the Indys and Thunders? If there is a significant difference then they may never feel the same irrespective of which bushings are used. The angle of the kingpin and the pivot and the height of the axle will all affect how the truck feels.

That´s what I think it all comes down to. The Thunders are lower, and the hangers are almost directly above the pivot cups. It feels like there´s a wider spot of equilibrium before they start turning, compared to the Indys which are almost constantly turning. It could be that putting some kind of barrel bushings on the board side of the Indys might nudge them toward Thunder-land, but I doubt that it would make that much of a difference..

I´d say, for your next pair of trucks get a pair of Thunders and give ´em a go. If you miss your Indys, go back to Indys - but if you don´t, don´t go back. I think my next setup will have Thunders. No, wait - Indys, or.. maybe Thunders...? AAARGHHHH!!! :drool: :X)
Corey
nothing better to do

Postby Brian S » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:03 pm

Or get some Gullwing DLX Shadows, they turn like chuff & no buggering around with bushings! :lol:
Brian S
monuMENTAL GEEK

Postby reckless toboggan » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:56 pm

Corey wrote:Dude. I have almost the exact problem. Keep going back and forth between Indys and Thunders. The Indys are solid, smooth and flowy - but there´s just something about the lightness, stability and turning response of Thunders..

It feels like there´s a wider spot of equilibrium before they [Thunders] start turning, compared to the Indys which are almost constantly turning.

This is exactly what I'm experiencing.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I know there are geometry differences that cause the difference in feel. I'm not trying to change geometry, I'm trying to see if I can use bushings to get my Indys to mimic the feel of Thunders.

Might not be possible.

I do like the extra material on the Indy hanger, when compared to the relatively anaemic Thunder hanger.
reckless toboggan
I got new wheels

Postby TonyB » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:28 am

You can't make one truck feel like another. If you want Thunders buy them and sell your Indy's

The Answer to ALL bearing questions is Rockin Rons
What is the best soft wheel? Orange Rainskates Tsunami 85a duro (available in various sizes)
My Collection
TonyB
NERD!

Postby Corey » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:47 pm

ARGH!! This thread made me change back to Thunders. :evil:
Corey
nothing better to do

Postby bertslide » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:05 pm

TonyB wrote:You can't make one truck feel like another. If you want Thunders buy them and sell your Indy's

But what to do with the t shirts, socks and ash trays? :lol:
cheers

It's fun fun fun fun fun til the pigs come round
bertslide
SHOOT ME!

Postby GoR64 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:00 pm

Indy Bones meds seems to be the magic formula, unfortunately they're heavy as shit but that does mean more material to grind.

Thunder stock bushing are pretty soft at 90a, slightly more meat on them than Bones but with no core.

If you don't like the stock Indy bushings I'd say chuck in some Bones meds if you haven't already, or a mix of med/soft (softer one roadside) if you're fairly light.

Otherwise just grab some 147's, they are really nice.
Don't call it a comeback...
GoR64
Bigger Geek

Postby TonyB » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:55 pm

bertslide wrote:
TonyB wrote:You can't make one truck feel like another. If you want Thunders buy them and sell your Indy's

But what to do with the t shirts, socks and ash trays? :lol:

Oh you just burn those.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

What is the best soft wheel? Orange Rainskates Tsunami 85a duro (available in various sizes)
My Collection
TonyB
NERD!

Postby reckless toboggan » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:58 pm

Okay. So I skated flatground for a while today.

I have Thunder 147 HoLis and Indy 139 HoFos.

2 virtually identical setups for back to back comparison. 8.1 decks with the same wheel base and length, one deck has slightly more concave. Nose and tail lengths were the same, and nose and tail angles were the same. Both have Mob grip and 50 mm wheels.

So the only meaningful difference is the trucks.

Me: 5'10” 175# about size 8.5 to 9 U.S. feet (around a 41 eurosize).

Thunders have all washers in place and the stock 90a white bushings. These are about 50mm axle height, IIRC. I left this setup the same throughout testing.

Indys have all washers in place with Bones Hard 96a board side and Bones medium 91a roadside. These are a 53.5mm axle height IIRC.

All trucks have 4.5 turns of the kingpin nut. Basically, the nut is flush with the kingpin.

This makes them feel about as close as I could get with what I had.

The Thunders still felt a bit more stable on centre, the Indys were a bit more twitchy on centre.

The lean angle where the boards "bottom out" is pretty darn close.

The other thing I found through all the combinations I tried on the Indys is that I could skate either and have fun. Duh.

I went from really loose (for me: Indys with boardside washer only and top and bottom Bones mediums) to really tight (for me: Indys with top and bottom washers and top and bottom Bones Hard).

I did try varying the Indy kingpin nut tightness with the various combinations of washers and bushings to try to get it closer to the Thunders. But I'm of the opinion just make the nut flush with whichever bushing you use, and call it a day. I don't want kingpin sticking out or the nut coming off while skating. I have always skated with the nut just flush with the kingpin.

It was a good skate every time.

So the definitive answer is skate what you got. I have a few pairs of Indys and one pair of Thunders. I'm gonna try buying Thunders for a bit, once I need new trucks, and see how it goes.

Oh,...and none of these setups made me a better skater. I still sucked the same as always.

I'll report back when I have some time on ledges, flat bar, and some other fun stuff. Actually, on second thought, I'm not going to. Both are fun and both are skatable. End of story. And honestly, while this was a fun little exercise, I'd rather just go skate and not think about it. So that's what I recommend.

tl;dr I got them close. The Indys are more turny, the Thunders are more stable. Both are fun to skate.

After all this bullshit the final result is: Shut Up and Skate.
reckless toboggan
I got new wheels

Postby TonyB » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:37 am

Congratulations on reaching your conclusion

My Collection
TonyB
NERD!

Postby reckless toboggan » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:51 am

I've skated Indy pretty much always, and wanted to see what other trucks were like.

Kind of like that virgin who gets married, then after years and years starts to wonder what's missing.

I'm not a virgin, or married, but now I know I'm not missing much. Plus...variety is the spice of life.
reckless toboggan
I got new wheels

Postby Corey » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:31 pm

Corey wrote:ARGH!! This thread made me change back to Thunders. :evil:

Umm.. Yeah.. So I changed back to Indys again today.. Fucking axle slip.. I need to weld and/or glue my setup together so I have to ride it ´till it´s used up.. :oops: :oops:
Corey
nothing better to do

Return to How To - Anything else