cheapest travel options for skateboard

cheapest travel options for skateboard

Postby mjlally » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:56 am

I think some of you mentioned elsewhere that skateboards cannot be taken as hand luggage on an aeroplane.

I'm headed to Barcelona in June, then up the coast but there will be skate parks near me. Need to keep costs down though, so wondering if anyone has a good way to do this.. maybe send the deck by courier and carry trucks and wheels in hand luggage?
mjlally
am I a skate geek

Re: cheapest travel options for skateboard

Postby Andrew_Culture » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:54 am

Where would you send it to? I guess you could post it to a hotel if you were staying in one.

I've been giving this some thought, and I reckon it would be better / cheaper to pay the £30 hold luggage charge and put your board in a suitcase. At least you wouldn't be risking it getting lost in the post.
Andrew_Culture
I need a LIFE!

Postby undertime » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:04 am

Yep, I started a thread about hand luggage, and that's not an option it seems.

I agree with Andrew. You might end up saving 5 or 10 quid, but there's always that uncertainty of it getting lost en route and the fact you could take lots of other stuff (clothes, pads etc) in your luggage would surely make the trip easier?
More of the same old shit over at Instagram @undertime74
undertime
Super Geek

Postby Guido » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:04 am

Yes as Andrew says the cost of a cheap courier to mainland europe is 1- likely more than the "sports equipment" surcharge and 2- mor elikely to get lost, delayed or damaged.

I ship a lot of stuff with work to EU, UPS and TNT, it'll cost more than £30.
Guido
smell of grip tape

Postby Brian S » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:07 pm

Just stick it in your main baggage, its what I do, most cases / bags that accommodate a deck/board size even if you have to place then in diagonally are within the baggage limits, a £10 sports direct holdall is as good as anything if you haven't got any suitable baggage, these survive transatlantic travels fine for me as an extra bag when I have been & can hold more than the weight limits anyway.

Hardware inside your hand luggage is also no problem, done it many times
Brian S
monuMENTAL GEEK

Postby TonyB » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:18 pm

Put it in the hold with your suitcase or in your suitcase or bag. Some airlines allow sports equipment as a second bag. Pay the extra if necessary to put it in the hold as baggage. I wouldn't even consider trying to post it, too inconvenient and too much chance of it going missing.

The Answer to ALL bearing questions is Rockin Rons
What is the best soft wheel? Orange Rainskates Tsunami 85a duro (available in various sizes)
My Collection
TonyB
NERD!

Postby mjlally » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:52 pm

Brian S wrote:Just stick it in your main baggage, its what I do, most cases / bags that accommodate a deck/board size even if you have to place then in diagonally are within the baggage limits, a £10 sports direct holdall is as good as anything if you haven't got any suitable baggage, these survive transatlantic travels fine for me as an extra bag when I have been & can hold more than the weight limits anyway.

hardware in the hand luggage would definitely make life easier. does it need to be wrapped up or anything?
mjlally
am I a skate geek

Postby mjlally » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:07 pm

Thanks all. Looks like my options are

stick the whole board in hold luggage.. = very unhappy wife!
stick the deck in hold luggage, trucks and wheels in hand luggage = slightly grumpy wife
take trucks, wheels in hand luggage and either send a cheap deck or buy a second hand one of spanish ebay to leave behind

My sister in law is in Barcelona so could deliver there, and.. just as I type this Ive got a text from a friend out there that I might be able to borrow a board off him, thereby solving the problem.
mjlally
am I a skate geek

Postby mjlally » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:15 pm

undertime wrote:Yep, I started a thread about hand luggage, and that's not an option it seems.

I agree with Andrew. You might end up saving 5 or 10 quid, but there's always that uncertainty of it getting lost en route and the fact you could take lots of other stuff (clothes, pads etc) in your luggage would surely make the trip easier?

just spotted as I was going through your posts looking for your hand luggage thread, that you were in fact the author of the long haiku which I'd tiredly attributed to AndrewCulture! Sincerest apologies! was late and I'd had more beer than I'm used to these days, which is not very much.
mjlally
am I a skate geek

Postby Andrew_Culture » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:26 pm

mjlally wrote:
undertime wrote:Yep, I started a thread about hand luggage, and that's not an option it seems.

just spotted as I was going through your posts looking for your hand luggage thread, that you were in fact the author of the long haiku which I'd tiredly attributed to AndrewCulture! Sincerest apologies! was late and I'd had more beer than I'm used to these days, which is not very much.

I hadn't spotted that you were crediting me either!

Beer good.
Andrew_Culture
I need a LIFE!

Postby Brian S » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:51 pm

mjlally wrote:
Brian S wrote:Just stick it in your main baggage, its what I do, most cases / bags that accommodate a deck/board size even if you have to place then in diagonally are within the baggage limits, a £10 sports direct holdall is as good as anything if you haven't got any suitable baggage, these survive transatlantic travels fine for me as an extra bag when I have been & can hold more than the weight limits anyway.

hardware in the hand luggage would definitely make life easier. does it need to be wrapped up or anything?

No just stick it in with your other stuff, but seriously just put your full board in your main bag that you are checking in, it's the easiest way by far!
Brian S
monuMENTAL GEEK

Postby JadedOlive » Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:06 pm

The last trip I took with my board I ended up just undoing the kingpin nuts and removing the axles, then dropped the deck diagonally in my checked luggage, and threw the axles in my backpack.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
JadedOlive
I like skateboarding

Postby mjlally » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:02 pm

Thanks all. It looks like I have the loan of a board in Spain for this trip. The info won't go unused though as I'm planning to take a board over to Ireland later in the year when I go back there for a visit, although would be pretty easy to send one to NI with parcel2go. There seems to be an indoor skatepark now near where I grew up so have to give it a go. Unless the surf is pumping!
mjlally
am I a skate geek

Return to How To - Anything else