How to Keep Foot from Coming Off

How to Keep Foot from Coming Off

Postby Cara » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:48 am

I have been able to ollie well while rolling with decent height for several months now but I am still really struggling with ollieing over an object. I've improved from just letting my board shoot out or not even popping and can now pop and get my front foot to land on the board on the other side of the obstacle but my back foot is just coming off immediately after the pop.

I've watched myself on video so I know exactly what I'm doing but I'm really struggling to figure out how to keep my back foot on. I realize practice is key and I'll keep at it for sure, but I just wanted to post to see if anyone else had any tips for keeping your back foot on when it has a tendency to come off.
Cara
smell of grip tape

Re: How to Keep Foot from Coming Off

Postby Plan9Customs » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:16 am

Is it just coming off when you Ollie but going back on and landing or just stepping off and staying off? The first would be your timing is a bit off which would be just keep doing it and after awhile it'll get better. If it's the second, then you just need to commit and force yourself to land it. Video of it would help but sounds like it's one of those 2. Both are easy fixes.
Plan9Customs
nothing better to do

Postby Cara » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:32 pm

It's stepping off and staying off. I get the commitment thing, I'm just doing everything I know how to commit including making sure my front foot stays on and frequently falling because of it. Like I said, I'll keep working at it.

I understand the logic of it, just wondering if their were any footing, thinking, change of obstacle, etc. that others may have used to help them. It may not work for me, but seems worth a try if any body has one.
Cara
smell of grip tape

Postby pete » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:46 am

if you can ollie moving already its just a mental problem, start by olliing over a line, then a crack, then a stick, then a can then a car :D
pete
nothing better to do

Postby Glenouille » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:43 pm

I see 3 small things you could try.

1. Forget about the obstacle for a sec and try to move forward on the board when you ollie:
    Roll, ollie and aim to land with your feet on the truck bolts especially the back foot in this case. Don’t try to ollie high, just try to bring your foot where you want it and build up height from there.
  2. Don’t put your foot as far as you currently do towards the edge of the tail, bring in closer to the middle of the tail (I do that on fakie tricks and nollies), you will maybe not pop as high but you foot will stay on the board. Find the sweet spot between back foot securely on board and big pop afterwards.
  3. Another one is instead of having your back foot perpendicular to the board when you pop, angle it by bringing your heel inwards towards the edge of the board a little. I do that on big heel/kickflips where my back foot has a tendency to come off because I flick so hard the boards moves forward too much and is no more under me. This change in the foot position seems to move the board backwards when I pop which counteracts the forward flick. I apply the same idea to boned ollies and ollie norths. It generally works well!
Glenouille
I got new wheels

Postby Cara » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:20 pm

This is exactly what I was looking for, Glenouille! Thank you!

I have been doing some version of number 1 but I'll definitely try putting more focus on my foot. I will give the other two a shot as well.
Cara
smell of grip tape

Postby reckless toboggan » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:11 am

#3 is key for me.
reckless toboggan
I got new wheels

Postby Mark_81 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:35 am

Another vote for #3 from me... helps keep your shoulders in line too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Instagram grey_ham_81
Mark_81
I got new wheels

Return to How To - Anything else