Spots in W. Yorkshire

For those with over 40 inches of equipment

Spots in W. Yorkshire

Postby Chadmango » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:12 pm

Hey folks,

Just starting again after a long absence. Anyone know any good spots in West Yorkshire for a complete novice?

Cheers!
Chadmango
What mid life crisis ?

Re: Spots in W. Yorkshire

Postby Brian S » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:47 am

MIcklefield Nr Leeds, Leeds works indoor skatepark, Girlington Bradford, Pepper Rd Leeds, Thornes park wakefield, Hebden bridge, Mags on ramps indoor Halifax & others
Brian S
monuMENTAL GEEK

Postby dave8 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:16 pm

Where abouts are you Chadmango?
Im near casvegas, lookin for some good spots myself.
dave8
I'm too scared to post more

Postby Chadmango » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:31 am

I'm in Huddersfield. Have struck up a deal with the John Smiths Stadium during the summer break. Been using their big car park to practice on in the mornings. Not sure where I'll be heading once the summer is over though. Maybe Greenhead park? Not sure though.
Chadmango
What mid life crisis ?

Postby Border55 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:26 am

Brian S wrote:MIcklefield Nr Leeds, Leeds works indoor skatepark, Girlington Bradford, Pepper Rd Leeds, Thornes park wakefield, Hebden bridge, Mags on ramps indoor Halifax & others

Hi Brian S. I'm a complete novice to boarding. Playing around on a longboard after watching a youth carving up a sloping car park in Cornwall. Loving it. Just spotted your reply re sites in West Yorkshire. Are these Longboard runs? Where in Micklefield - cos I live real close!
Border55
What mid life crisis ?

Postby HarryR » Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:38 pm

Micklefield info here:
viewtopic.php?t=29036

Not really for longboards though.
Rose-tinted view of the days of our youth; we stood the test of time.
HarryR
anorak alert

Postby Keith » Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:07 pm

Greenhead Park in Huddersfield Town Centre, Knowle Park in Mirfield, one near Elham too.
Keith
am I a skate geek

Postby Border55 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:22 pm

...now that looks nice! Putting my Longboard aside for a bit while a find somewhere to go. Pulling the bearings in my old (underused) board/truck combo for a fresh pair. Just discovered Division 24 skate shop in wakefield and embarrassed myself asking how long the've been there. They recommended some bearing replacements that are getting rave reviews over the Bones but retail steep at around £30. Pay day pending I'm looking to buy but can't remember the name though. Anyone have a clue what they may be? They're helpful guys so no doubt will point me in the right direction when I go back.

Haven't really a clue what I'm doing other than padding everything I have that sticks out with protection. Its gonna be a learning curve but I'm pissed off getting old. Have I read in a post on here that regular boarders were padded shorts? What brands & materials should I look out for?
Border55
What mid life crisis ?

Postby HarryR » Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:34 pm

I'm guessing the bearings could be Bronsons. They're the latest thing. A few people have been using them who might be able to tell you how they skate. Another good option would be Indy 7s which are excellent at around £20.

Don't be put off by thinking you're too old. There's plenty of us 50 somethings on here.

Brian might be able to sort you out on the padded shorts front, if you're not too portly ;-)
HarryR
anorak alert

Postby Border55 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:47 pm

>>Don't be put off by thinking you're too old. There's plenty of us 50 somethings on here.
....you just made my day HarryR.

I was thinking it was just me and I was gonna have to turn up at skate parks at the break of dawn with a bag over my head. Seriously, just nipped out this afternoon to check out the Micklefield Park. Looks great but it occurred to me with a lot of young 'us around - how do you get round the issue of parents getting 'twitchy' about the old dude who MUST be either selling drugs or a perv/ Do you find regular meets / times or something or do we just turn up like the different groups of animals at the watering holes in Africa (Giraffes after Lions after Elephants, etc).

I could really do with checking out the etiquette around the boarding culture. I'll dig around the forum and web pages. Thanks again.
Border55
What mid life crisis ?

Postby StuPenfold » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:08 pm

Older people in skate parks are pretty par for the course these days.......I wouldn't worry about it.
StuPenfold
I got new wheels

Postby Brian S » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:21 pm

Padded shorts here :D viewtopic.php?f=12&t=33439

Also some bargain highly rated wheels viewtopic.php?f=12&t=33492
Brian S
monuMENTAL GEEK

Postby HarryR » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:24 pm

Border55 wrote:how do you get round the issue of parents getting 'twitchy' about the old dude who MUST be either selling drugs or a perv/ Do you find regular meets / times or something.

As we're heading towards winter the opportunities to skate outside will be getting fewer. The past few weeks have been hit and miss for regular get togethers but usually, especially in the summer, there's a few of us hitting Micklefield or another local spot early doors on a Sunday morning. For a couple of hours or so up to around 11am it's often very quiet with just us old gits using the place. When there's a few of us no one else bothers that we might be a-typical or out of place. Other people are often intrigued about just how old we might be and are surprised when we say we originally used to skate in the 70s.

Keep a look out on the relevant threads and you'll see if anyone is planning a session. Just tag along and you'll soon get an idea of the etiquette etc. Don't worry about skill levels either, no one's judging you, that fact that you're skating is all that matters.

Hope to see you around sometime.
HarryR
anorak alert

Return to Longboards