Another longboard beginner topic, but with added weight!

For those with over 40 inches of equipment

Another longboard beginner topic, but with added weight!

Postby trukkster » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:51 pm

Evening all,

I've been reading into longboards, shapes, wheels trucks etc. This is all fine and dandy.

The trouble for me starts with my weight. The weightlifting has me weighing in at 100kg at 6 foot. Most entry level boards setups have a limit of about 90kg.

I'm after a board for mainly cruising around and getting a snowboard fix when its summer. The one that caught my eye was a Vault Smart Bomb. I realise that its a board for downhill speed, but it fits into my weight category, with large wheels and a more solid wheel setup.

Is there anything else for me out there?
trukkster
I'm too scared to post more

Re: Another longboard beginner topic, but with added weight!

Postby Old Duffer » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:51 pm

trukkster wrote:Evening all,

I've been reading into longboards, shapes, wheels trucks etc. This is all fine and dandy.

The trouble for me starts with my weight. The weightlifting has me weighing in at 100kg at 6 foot. Most entry level boards setups have a limit of about 90kg.

I'm after a board for mainly cruising around and getting a snowboard fix when its summer. The one that caught my eye was a Vault Smart Bomb. I realise that its a board for downhill speed, but it fits into my weight category, with large wheels and a more solid wheel setup.

Is there anything else for me out there?

Hi trukkster
I don't know about the vault but I can recommend Churchill Longboards. I think most if not all are 9 ply maple. I'm 6ft 4 and 14.5 stone and ride a Churchill LTD drop through deck with Paris V2 trucks and 75 mm Orangatang In Heat wheels. Stock bushings with the trucks are fairly stiff.
There is very little flex in the board for me. The decks are cheap but really great quality. Imported mine from the States but probably wouldn't again due to the transport and import costs.

British company called Bournlands sell some of the range. Think they are the sole dealer in the UK. Huge choice of boards from different manufacturers if you want to import though. Have fun shopping. Churchill links below if you're interested.
http://churchillmfg.com/
http://www.blblongboards.co.uk/product- ... ongboards/
Toes on the noes
Old Duffer
What mid life crisis ?

Postby TonyB » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:01 am

Look at the Bustin Boards, I have a Maestro fibreglass model and its such great fun. Contact them they will help you out with a deck suitable for your weight.

The Answer to ALL bearing questions is Rockin Rons
What is the best soft wheel? Orange Rainskates Tsunami 85a duro (available in various sizes)
My Collection
TonyB
NERD!

Postby bertslide » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:15 am

100kg You lightweight. :lol:

Don't worry too much about the weight ratings if you're just using it as a cruiser. I'm currently 108kg, was up to 120kg (big boned honest :roll: ) and ride boards from Fibreflex to homemade planks which are almost rigid. Unless you going for double drop drop though that's skimming the weeds it doesn't really matter.

Caveat, if its rated as a flexible deck for 50 kg riders you might want to look elsewhere.
cheers

It's fun fun fun fun fun til the pigs come round
bertslide
SHOOT ME!

Postby Dom1 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:01 am

Welcome :)

Dangerous Decks might be worth a look , UK made, might be able to run one up with an extra lam if you are really concerned.
Dom1
Geek

Postby trukkster » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:04 am

Thanks for the friendly welcome and replies so far!

I've been looking at the Dangerous decks bottlenose. I was thinking with holey trucks 7" and some Orangutang Durians or Abec 11 FLywheels.

Sound like a decent setup for cruising?
trukkster
I'm too scared to post more

Postby Jimbob » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:55 am

I'd go for Abec 11 Flashbacks either 75a or 78a for cruising - not found a wheel to beat them at that yet. They'll accelerate a little faster than the fly wheels and keep your ride height a bit lower, although in a downhill race the flywheels will probably have a higher top speed. Cheaper too!
"The THROBBER - 42 inches of pink rock hard wood - low speed wobbles built in for extra satisfaction."

Old Duffer, MAS, 2013
Jimbob
I skateboard

Postby GregryC » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:30 pm

I weigh 99kg. I ignored the recommended weight limit on my entry level beginner board. It hasn't broken yet.
Longboarding isn't my mid-life crisis. Mountain Biking is my mid life crisis
GregryC
smell of grip tape

Postby bigad » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:44 pm

Im a slim 109kgs.
I have a brilliant powell surf one I bought off ebay a couple of years ago.
I ride local skatepark on it.
I have an Urban blue truck which I bought as an ornament but occasionally goes out for a carve, very flexible but it works.
Currently riding a mindless calamari in the bowls (very badly but the all the kids think an massive fossil is cool).
I had a Kona (bicycle company) longboard which turned out to be a landyachtz Conthug deck.
All are okay with my bulk except the urban blue.
Second that you should be ok on most decks except for 50 kg limit boards (probably from tesco or argos).
All the proper skate shops will steer you in the right direction.

Epsom bowl (longmead park) is brilliant.
bigad
What mid life crisis ?

Return to Longboards