Longboard For Summer (If we get one)

For those with over 40 inches of equipment

Longboard For Summer (If we get one)

Postby TonyEv » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:44 pm

Before I completely spend all of my redundancy money I thought I may like to get one of these longboard thingies for cruising around some of these nice quieter north yorkshire roads and the local car parks. I'm going for a Lush Sequel. Has anyone used one? I wanted to buy a complete board because of my lack of knowledge and this is the only shape/graphic/length/wheel combo that I liked all together. Just wondering if anyone recommend them ???

Many thanks,

Tony.
TonyEv
I skateboard

Re: Longboard For Summer (If we get one)

Postby Tommy S. » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:28 am

I don't own one but rolled around on my friend's before.
It is a very good combo there although the board is more build for speed and not as bouncy or flexy as you might think from a longboard. But coming from skateboarding you might not like overly flexy boards anyway (I certainly don't). The deck and concave feels nice under your feet and makes you feel "locked in" when your carving a bit faster.
The drop-through design makes it nice and low which is easier on your legs and feet if you're pushing longer distances and the board should be nice and stable when you had enough of cruising around and wanna hit the slopes. I take it you'll have it with the Sabre trucks and orange Cult Death Ray wheels? Both trucks and wheels are great and the trucks can be tweaked from cruisers to downhill machines. Prepare to spend some more money in the future for bushings to play around with and slide gloves :D
Tommy S.
I got new wheels

Postby TonyEv » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:24 am

Many thanks Tommy. I was unsure about the trucks and wheels, but you've put me mind at rest. Lush seem a really sorted set of people, so here goes the last of my money. I knew there was a reason why the nearest large car park was sloping, empty by dusk and has flood lights :)

Tony.
TonyEv
I skateboard

Postby popspurnell » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:28 am

What kind of longboard riding you looking to do mate?

I ride lush and hate sabre trucks so i always swap mine out.
popspurnell
I skateboard

Postby TonyEv » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:37 am

popspurnell wrote:What kind of longboard riding you looking to do mate?

I ride lush and hate sabre trucks so i always swap mine out.

Hi ... Just some sweet cruising to start with, so nothing very special. Am I right in thinking its easy to swap them out at a later date?

Tony.
TonyEv
I skateboard

Postby popspurnell » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:58 am

Yeah you can, or you can just build for cheaper with Paris trucks or randals!
some people like the sabre, the wheels are decent lush come with.

You could talk to Matt at Bruces board store, [url][email protected][/url]
I built a long board for the girlfriend from there based around http://brucesboardstore.co.uk/product-category/longboards/?filter_brand=72 bottlenose with paris 180's and stella wheels.
I prefer hers to mine now.... :|
He's a really good guy and helped me refine what i was after.
This isn't a drop through like the one you have looked at though, although the young offender (good name for you..) is.

Loads of options on there although steer clear of the atoms, they're rel budget options not worth the cash in my opinion.
popspurnell
I skateboard

Postby TonyEv » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:14 pm

[quote="popspurnell"]Yeah you can, or you can just build for cheaper with Paris trucks or randals!

Thanks for the link, I went and ordered the complete before I read these, so will have to just wait until I need to upgrade after a few weeks/months of use lol.

Tony.
TonyEv
I skateboard

Postby popspurnell » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:19 pm

TonyEv wrote:
popspurnell wrote:Yeah you can, or you can just build for cheaper with Paris trucks or randals!

Thanks for the link, I went and ordered the complete before I read these, so will have to just wait until I need to upgrade after a few weeks/months of use lol.

Tony.

They're good boards mate, and you might love the sabre trucks - personal preference thing!
lush make good boards and know what they're talking about!
popspurnell
I skateboard

Postby TonyEv » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:24 pm

Many thanks, I kind of also like the fact that they are in the UK, I love the website and videos :)

Tony.
TonyEv
I skateboard

Postby popspurnell » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:28 pm

They've been going a long time, i bought my first board off them at the 2nd NASS festival.

Also they do a closed road event (above my sandard) and a distance push event (which i'm probably going to this year) so support the scene well!
popspurnell
I skateboard

Postby Tommy S. » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:35 pm

I personally love my Sabre trucks and would not wanna swap for Paris or Randals, but thats me. I guess once you start riding you will figure out what suits you better for what exactly you want to do. But if you've got the board at the price that I've seen it for advertised then it's defo a bargain anyway.
A word of warning though: new Sabre trucks (or more specifically the bushings) are very very turny! Instead of cranking the kingpin nuts right down, take some time and just carve around for an hour or so. That will wear off the mold release from the bushings and eventually give you a better feel for the trucks.
Tommy S.
I got new wheels

Postby popspurnell » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:43 pm

Tommy S. wrote:I personally love my Sabre trucks and would not wanna swap for Paris or Randals, but thats me. I guess once you start riding you will figure out what suits you better for what exactly you want to do. But if you've got the board at the price that I've seen it for advertised then it's defo a bargain anyway.
A word of warning though: new Sabre trucks (or more specifically the bushings) are very very turny! Instead of cranking the kingpin nuts right down, take some time and just carve around for an hour or so. That will wear off the mold release from the bushings and eventually give you a better feel for the trucks.

What did you pick it up for Tony?

And ToMMy S, exactly my point how many times have we seen truck wars based on preference! (although the sabres I've always received must have been seriously overtightened - i swap them cos they weren't turny enough!)
Last edited by popspurnell on Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
popspurnell
I skateboard

Postby Tommy S. » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:10 pm

popspurnell wrote:And Tommy S, exactly my point how many times have we seen truck wars based on preference!

Way too many times :lol: at the same time it can be kinda educating (and entertaining!)
Tommy S.
I got new wheels

Postby misterbleepy » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:30 pm

I have a couple of Lush boards and like them a lot. Mine came with cheapo "ordinary" (not RKP) trucks, which I swapped on one, but not the other (yet).
The decks are great, and so are the wheels.
If you don't like the trucks, sell them on here - I might be interested to try them.
Keith B. - still riding goofy
misterbleepy
Geek

Postby TonyEv » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:42 pm

£162.99 from our local skate shop, I've since seen them cheaper, but wanted to support our local boys, I tend to buy more from the web these days but I they have been so helpful seemed only right.

Tony.
TonyEv
I skateboard

Postby popspurnell » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:32 pm

TonyEv wrote:

£162.99 from our local skate shop, I've since seen them cheaper, but wanted to support our local boys, I tend to buy more from the web these days but I they have been so helpful seemed only right.

Tony.

In that case ignore everything i said and you got a fooking bargain.
I remember looking at this deck and seeing it over £250.
popspurnell
I skateboard

Postby TonyEv » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:06 pm

Some online shops are still that expensive, must be the right time of year :)

Tony.
TonyEv
I skateboard

Postby TonyB » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:33 am

You won't go to far wrong with a Lush set up. Trucks are really a personal preference and a change of bushings can turn something you don't like in to something that you do.

Post up when you have got your set up and have had a little time to try it out. If it's not working out I'm sure we will be able to set you on the right path to tuning it in to your liking.

The Answer to ALL bearing questions is Rockin Rons
What is the best soft wheel? Orange Rainskates Tsunami 85a duro (available in various sizes)
My Collection
TonyB
NERD!

Postby popspurnell » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:45 am

TonyEv wrote:Some online shops are still that expensive, must be the right time of year :)

Tony.

They seem to have continued a load of their boards mate, so everyone is selling them at rebate prices. when i picked up my wizard i saved about a ton on RRP as well.
just goes to show RRP is complete BS!
popspurnell
I skateboard

Postby Alec » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:25 am

TonyEv wrote:I kind of also like the fact that they are in the UK

based in the UK but not necessarily made in the UK
andre wrote: the 8 is a different beast altogether. you won't be thinking about truck geometry when you're just trying not to get killed. :mrgreen:
Alec
No fingers left from posting .... what a

Postby Bleary » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:01 pm

Alec wrote:

But at least they're honest and open about it, unlike some 'American' brands
Bleary
nothing better to do

Postby popspurnell » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:41 pm

Bleary wrote:
Alec wrote:

But at least they're honest and open about it, unlike some 'American' brands

Yeah they let you know it, that's why i don't mind buying their stuff. simply they are too successful to do everything as handmade runs in their own shop anymore.

I'm a fan of dangerous decks, the only UK ones i know who handbuild everything somewhere in the uk (possibly west country?) .

That's their workshop, yes it's a garage door...... (AW)
popspurnell
I skateboard

Postby TonyEv » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:04 pm

Fuck it's big lol ....... This is gonna be some fun !!!!!

Tony ....
TonyEv
I skateboard

Postby bertslide » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:25 pm

Nice :D

Roll on summer, O.K. dryness will do.
cheers

It's fun fun fun fun fun til the pigs come round
bertslide
SHOOT ME!

Postby popspurnell » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:29 am

http://www.surfdome.com/protec_gloves_-_protec_lo-pro_slide_gloves_-_black-161962

something like this will be needed.
much better ones available, but these are the cheapest.

That's a nice looking board :D
popspurnell
I skateboard

Postby TonyEv » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:25 pm

[quote="popspurnell"]http://www.surfdome.com/protec_gloves_-_protec_lo-pro_slide_gloves_-_black-161962

something like this will be needed.
much better ones available, but these are the cheapest.

I sussed the gloves before the board arrived, my pads are suitably scruffed up to know I do right to wear as much pro as possible lol

Tony..
TonyEv
I skateboard

Postby TonyEv » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:00 pm

Had a good try out on the local car park today, only a gentle slope, so nothing heroic. I did notice it being harder to turn than I thought, but I am well under 10 stone, so have ordered some softer bushings to see if it makes any difference. Either way, it was awesome just doing long smooth turns on a huge board :D

Tony.
TonyEv
I skateboard

Postby Jimbob » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:15 pm

Looks lovely. Been through several Lush boards, got 2 of them at the moment. I prefer Indy 215s and top mounting them rather than dropping through - might be worth a go in future when you fancy a change. They're built like tanks those decks, I've got plenty of scars (and am currently nursing a broken ankle from coming off my Elevator) but the boards manage to stay pretty! Mad cheap deal you got for it as well.
"The THROBBER - 42 inches of pink rock hard wood - low speed wobbles built in for extra satisfaction."

Old Duffer, MAS, 2013
Jimbob
I skateboard

Postby Ianwinstone » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:02 pm

I loves the lush Lopez . Got it last year for my 40 th . Good fun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ianwinstone
I'm too scared to post more

Postby TonyEv » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:16 pm

Ianwinstone wrote:I loves the lush Lopez . Got it last year for my 40 th . Good fun

I thought about one of these, hope I've made the right decision. I got myself a nice little Zapper deck to go with my Indys and Kryptonics, I can't get on with popsicle boards lol

Tony.
TonyEv
I skateboard

Postby misterbleepy » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:57 am

TonyEv wrote:
Ianwinstone wrote:I loves the lush Lopez . Got it last year for my 40 th . Good fun

I thought about one of these, hope I've made the right decision. I got myself a nice little Zapper deck to go with my Indys and Kryptonics, I can't get on with popsicle boards lol

Tony.

The Lopez and Zappa are both lovely looking decks - I'm jealous
Keith B. - still riding goofy
misterbleepy
Geek

Postby daxmatt » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:29 pm

You won't go wrong with the lush there a great board I have the antuna myself, I found the same with the trucks love the sabres (also have Paris aswell ) they do need a bit of fine tuning but nothing a set of bushes don't fix
daxmatt
skate skate skate

Postby pickersplayspop » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:56 am

Mate, good choice of board and set up. You can't go far wrong with Sabre trucks. It's the Bushings that change the feel. I use Sabres with Cult Traction Beams and it's pretty much my downhill set up which I've been up to 40mph on and it felt stable. Change out the green Bushings for the purple ones and put a conical bushing on the front truck and barrell on the back. Your stiff downhill set up will come alive and you'll be carving like a mutha in no time. Bushings make all the difference.

A stiff board is a fine choice as it gives you the option to move to downhill and freeride as you get better. Flexi boards are fun for going down the shops but you can still pump and carve a stiff one ;) with the right set up.

I've actually use a combo of Sabre, Venom and believe it or not 1 mindless bushing on the back. My set up will cruise as fast as most bicycles, handle a bit of speed (25mph) with out too much trouble, turn hard and slide but bare in mind my traction beams are very broken in.

You may want to use conical bushings on front and back as you're lighter. I'm 12.5 stone.

[photobucketslide]Image[/photobucketslide]
So I joined some local kids for a jam. Good sk8, few disasters but no injuries. I bid them farewell, coolly pushed off down the transition, hit a stone, skidded head first across concrete, grazing my arms to the bone, destroying my jeans and knees. SMOOTH
pickersplayspop
I skateboard

Postby pickersplayspop » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:03 pm

I do ride a top mount though so bare that in mind. More fun and sketchy bud bad for your legs and feet when going far
So I joined some local kids for a jam. Good sk8, few disasters but no injuries. I bid them farewell, coolly pushed off down the transition, hit a stone, skidded head first across concrete, grazing my arms to the bone, destroying my jeans and knees. SMOOTH
pickersplayspop
I skateboard

Return to Longboards