Longboarding for first timer?

For those with over 40 inches of equipment

Longboarding for first timer?

Postby alienfish360 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:25 pm

I am fine rolling around on a regular skateboard. But due to previous injury any kind of tricks, bowls, or ramps isn't happening for me any more.

I would like to try longboarding, mainly for cruising around local parks, maybe to get around locally where bicycle is too inconvenient. ya know, the trips where too short for bicycle, but too long to walk? :D Cruising up the promenade at the beach, etc.

However, how forgiving are longboards in comparison to skateboards? Do they easily get hung up on cracks, stones, or twigs for example?

What brands should I be looking at?
What stores do you recommend for longboards? The usual skate shops i used in the past don't seem to carry much, and I have no idea if they're decent or just random names?
Any other tips you can think of?
alienfish360
I skateboard

Re: Longboarding for first timer?

Postby Brian S » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:29 pm

I know sod all about longboards really, but recently Aldi had some very decent ones I'm told for round £30, I kid you not
Brian S
monuMENTAL GEEK

Postby HarryR » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:32 pm

70mm+ wheels around 78A to 80A should be pretty forgiving.

I bought a longboard a while ago from Octane Sport. They seem to know what they're doing.
Rose-tinted view of the days of our youth; we stood the test of time.
HarryR
anorak alert

Postby Fen » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:20 am

There are big stores like Aldi and Decathalon selling longboards. Not sure if they are any good. If you want to buy a 'decent' longboard I would say look at Lush Longboards as they are a British company.
Are you still in Warrington? I ride longboards around Bank park on the nice smooth paths. Let me know if you want to try mine out. They are more forgiving on the stones and cracks if you have nice big wheels but there is always going to be a risk of wiping out on any skateboard.
I have a long 46 inch Sector 9 which is very flexy which I don't ride anymore. I also have a 36 inch Lush which is more like a big skateboard, which I think may suit more as you can kick turn it like a normal skateboard. I reckon something like this that Woody is selling if you can afford to pay a ton:
http://www.bigwoodysskateshop.co.uk/ska ... 39-75.html

Those wheels are good cos I ride them but maybe you would want softer ones.
Fen
SHOOT ME!

Postby alienfish360 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:16 am

Those prices at woodys are far cheaper than what I had been looking at before!

I'm only 10 minutes from bank park, so may have to take you up on that offer at some point!

Thanks
alienfish360
I skateboard

Postby Brad Brains » Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:21 pm

I bought a longboard for my daughter as a graduation gift and have tried it out a few times. It does take some getting used to for sure, I haven't grown enough courage to try and slide the thing with its massive soft wheels. I hit 68 kph on it on the hill by my house so that was cool/terrifying. Big soft wheels seem to roll over everything and two pushed keeps it rolling for a long time. It's a nice change after rattling the creaky old bones on hard wheels.
Skating since you were swimming in your Dad's nutsack.
Brad Brains
I got new wheels

Postby tom.hoffman » Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:51 pm

If you're not going fast, you don't need or want a LONG board. You just need big wheels, trucks that turn, and some wheel clearance to prevent wheelbite.

You're shopping for a cruiser, for which there are many good and affordable options today.
tom.hoffman
I got new wheels

Postby alienfish360 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:28 pm

tom.hoffman wrote:If you're not going fast, you don't need or want a LONG board. You just need big wheels, trucks that turn, and some wheel clearance to prevent wheelbite.

You're shopping for a cruiser, for which there are many good and affordable options today.

Got any links to the kind of thing you recommend? I'm aiming for the most stability possible.
alienfish360
I skateboard

Postby alpharob » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:33 pm

Any wheels around the 70mm 80A mark will roll over most cracks, twigs, stones etc. I've never had a flying off the front moment with that sort of wheel, they roll over pretty much anything, and anything big enough to throw you off you can generally see early enough to avoid it

I've had a few longboards but found them a bit big for just cruising and have ended up with 36" deck which is essentially a big slightly shaped skateboard with wheel wells. I found having a kick tail pretty essential for dodging people and dropping off curbs and stuff. I had it set up with 70mm wheels and indys (with 1/2 inch risers) and it was really comfortable for cruising and you could get some nice carves out of it. I've now set this up with a set of carver trucks which turn like nothing else and pump really well and promptly sold all my old/spare decks and trucks.

Can definitely recommend Lush longboards, had a couple and they were really good and quite often come up for good prices. Earthwing decks are also are supposed to be really good, although I've never owned one myself
alpharob
I got new wheels

Postby tom.hoffman » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:12 am

What alpharob said. I also favor Carvers, which are available in the UK (and globally at surf shops). They don't give you the most stability possible -- for that you should just walk -- but they represent a real sweet spot of *fun* and good exercise while going at low speeds with big, safe wheels. In fact, I've got one set up next to me here that I just put together to ride on a dirt pump track with 78A Abec 11 BigZigs and 9" Carver CX trucks. That's literally off-road ready. I've got a narrower setup with OJ III wheels on Carver Mini-CX trucks on a Deckcrafters Steve Olson stinger. If you get one of the bigger Carver decks with Carver CX's you'll have a great combination of maneuverability and stability.
tom.hoffman
I got new wheels

Postby alienfish360 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:54 pm

http://lushlongboards.com/product-items/freebyrd/

My finger has hovered over the buy button on this a few times today.

Does anybody have any thoughts or opinions?
alienfish360
I skateboard

Postby alpharob » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:22 am

Looks like a lot of board for not a lot of money! I'd want 70mm wheels instead I the 62mm it comes with, but that's personal preference. If you buy direct they could probably sort some 70mm on it if you e-mailed and asked
alpharob
I got new wheels

Postby Fen » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:35 am

Looks good that Lush. Plus there is enough end at the nose and tail to be able to kick turn it and do shuvits and stuff. Not too long either. I did suggest to go for the big skateboard all round boards because you could use it on transition and stuff but then remembered that your longboard interest is to keep you off the ramp and skatepark skating!
Fen
SHOOT ME!

Postby alienfish360 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:49 am

Fen wrote:Looks good that Lush. Plus there is enough end at the nose and tail to be able to kick turn it and do shuvits and stuff. Not too long either. I did suggest to go for the big skateboard all round boards because you could use it on transition and stuff but then remembered that your longboard interest is to keep you off the ramp and skatepark skating!

First time I used ramp, I slammed so hard I used my grans stair lift for a week. Said I wouldn't do ramps again.

Then I tried a ramp again and broke my arm :lol:

So I really am not going near them again, my track record is poor :D
alienfish360
I skateboard

Postby alienfish360 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:32 pm

I pressed the button!!
alienfish360
I skateboard

Postby alienfish360 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:03 pm

So it arrived!

In unpacked it went for a skate. Had a beer. And didn't slam!

alienfish360
I skateboard

Postby misterbleepy » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:09 pm

I like the way it matches your pint :-)
Keith B. - still riding goofy
misterbleepy
Geek

Return to Longboards