Randal R11 vs R111's

For those with over 40 inches of equipment

Randal R11 vs R111's

Postby wavesnwheels » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:43 pm

Randal R11 trucks seemed to be the choice for a lot of people doing downhill bombing and sliding, from what I understand this was due to the ability to swap base plates etc.

Randal now have the R111's, are these better? I've only seen the 50 degree ones and no one in the uk selling base plates. Does anyone know if the base plates will be available or are the R11's still a better option?

I am thinking of getting a Lush machine deck for d/h and sliding so the trucks will be for that deck. Wheels quite likely to be 70mm ish.

Cheers
wavesnwheels
I skateboard

Re: Randal R11 vs R111's

Postby misterbleepy » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:01 pm

don't know about RIII's, but I know Sabre trucks can be had with 38 degree or 48 degree baseplates (and they're from the same company as the Lush Machine). You can even go super-spendy and get their awesome looking cold-forged hangers.
Keith B. - still riding goofy
misterbleepy
Geek

Postby wavesnwheels » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:13 pm

I did look at the Sabres (not the super spendy ones, although they do look awesome) and I'm all for supporting a UK company, do you have any experience of them?

The only rkp trucks I've had were Holey's, great on the board I had at the time (Loaded pintail) but I don't think they are the best for d/h?
wavesnwheels
I skateboard

Postby misterbleepy » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:32 pm

I have a set of hollowlites on 48 degree baseplates (if you get on Vandem's mailing list, they mail out offers, and these were 1/2 price), and I have a set of Holeys too.
They're a little less turny than the Holeys, but they should be more tunable with bushings due to the more open bushing seat.
But they don't look as awesome as the Holeys (not that that's important at all...)
Keith B. - still riding goofy
misterbleepy
Geek

Postby daxmatt » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:39 pm

I've had randal 11s not the new ones, Paris, bear, sabres, and ronins, if I was to build something like you wanted I'd personally go for the sabres 45° tops, best all rounders, they're stable and turn well, or if you wanted to spend more then cast ronins dead stable but turn really well took me a while to get used to tbh, Paris and bears both good trucks and I'd opt for the bears first though as they seem to turn better
Last edited by daxmatt on Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
daxmatt
skate skate skate

Postby TonyB » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:51 pm

I've not seen the RRIII'S but have two sets of RRII'S which have served me well on my cruiser boards for years.

If you are building for downhill you should look at the smaller degree baseplates. Even at 50 degrees or flipped to 42 degrees the Randal's will be a bit twitchy at speed.

Randal did a downhill specific 35 degree baseplate for their downhill trucks which also had different hangers.

I would look at Bears or the Sabres if I were in the market for downhill trucks today the designs and geometry and quality have moved on a bit since the RRII's.

The Answer to ALL bearing questions is Rockin Rons
What is the best soft wheel? Orange Rainskates Tsunami 85a duro (available in various sizes)
My Collection
TonyB
NERD!

Postby wavesnwheels » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:01 pm

Thanks for the advice guys. I've signed up on Vandem's mailing list, just waiting for my 50% off everything I want to buy offer :D

Looks like I should forget the Randals and go for the Sabres which I'm more than happy to do after reading your collective experiences. I like the idea of switching base plates, if for no other reason than giving it a try. Except 38 degree base plates are the forged expensive type 28 quid or 65 for the super spendy awesome forged 38 complete truck... Ouch, the whole lot's adding up to "how am I gonna hide this lot from the wife!"

The Hollowlite 180's seem a bit more wallet friendly but only at 48 degrees are not really what you guys are recommending, likewise the bears are 52 degrees but do look good.

Hmm plenty for me to think about, any more advice is welcome.

Edit: I've found some Bear grizzly 840's for reasonable money, ideally I'd like to try different angle's but am struggling to find trucks and compatible base plates in the cheaper trucks.
wavesnwheels
I skateboard

Postby daxmatt » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:47 pm

You might just be best buying a complete off eBay, there's some full built lush machines, and the pinacle that's well worth a look for 150 delivered
daxmatt
skate skate skate

Postby wavesnwheels » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:30 pm

That Pinnacle does look good although I'm specifically after a deck with a kick tail. Unfortunately all the Machines on ebay are the older models than the one I was looking at. Good prices though, cheers.
wavesnwheels
I skateboard

Postby Beerday » Thu May 25, 2017 5:02 pm

Randal II 42 degree base plates are still one of the best for all-round riding. They're also one of the lowest (height, not angle). If you need a higher angle wedge it. You probably won't need lower unless you're doing silly speeds. I have them on a Lush Vandella with Paris 195 hangers and it's perfect.
Longboard Scotland facebook group - http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_18386859728
Beerday
I got new wheels

Postby bertslide » Mon May 29, 2017 8:24 am

Wedge risers are a cheaper option, until you decide what you want.
cheers

It's fun fun fun fun fun til the pigs come round
bertslide
SHOOT ME!

Return to Longboards