Time To Bow Out

Post MAS ideas & suggestions here

Time To Bow Out

Postby Carl Arnfield » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:08 pm

Ok, I know I dont post a lot and many will not know me

But MAS was what I set up many years ago and worked for years to get it going and promote it on TV radio and in news papers

Its taken me to different counties and meet some wonderful people and thats just been amazing journey and life changing

But in the last few years when ive been focusing on other things MAS just carried on being MAS, but sadly with my limited time these days and after coming back to the site I think its time to close it, MAS did what it intended and get people back on boards and re connected with other skaters or just re connected with their youth or themselves.... everyone took something different from MAS or gave something different to the site, with many many hours of stupid/daft/crazy stories or slam stories, pictures of their skate adventures

So I will not be renewing the url's in the coming months so MAS will dissapear as we know it, if anyone wants to buy them and continue this, then your free to do so

For anyone thats remembers the first jams I have to say thanks ... yeah it was so much fun

Take care and I hope you all have a great life

Carl
dont live by other peoples limitations

Carl Arnfield
I'll Take Down Youtube

Re: Time To Bow Out

Postby Woody » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:32 pm

Times change and people change ... MAS lives on , on Facebook I know not everyone likes or uses it but its there,

If I can help in anyway Ill do so if anyone wants to step in and pay for the Hosting/Names, in the past Big Woodys has paid some of the bills but we are not in a position where we can start to do that any more.

Cheers Carl for all you have done financially and in other ways it would never got to where it was without you
MAS, run by skateboarders for skateboarders and paid for by skateboarders.
Big Woodys Skate Shop
Woody
Skate Bully

Postby Weirdo » Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:09 pm

Well I don’t mind moving it somewhere if we can find the hosting and domains.

I guess there is 3 options.

1) People pay to view the site
2) we display adverts
3) we get donations
Weirdo
Admin

Postby reckless toboggan » Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:27 pm

Damn.

Thank you Carl.

My hats off to your energy and efforts in keeping this place going. Your creation of this special little corner of the web has really helped me and I am greatly appreciative. It has been a real savior to me during an especially difficult time in my life.

Best of luck in your future endeavors.
reckless toboggan
I got new wheels

Postby fogiezboy » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:08 pm

Thankyou Carl for setting this site up and it got me back into skateboarding giving the vibe that its ok to skate at our time in life but as I posted previously it has had its day and should bow out gracefully and in my opinion its not well supported nowdays cos middle aged people dont want to skate and the original members are too old now.I hope it wont be taken over to continue but I guess some dudes will want to flog a dead horse :roll: .Check out UK Skate Forum young and older skaters on there which has taken up the mantle and is buzzing right now.
Just wanted to come back to thank Carl,
Fogiezboy over & out....
Biniaks got a pump.
fogiezboy
Geek

Postby bertslide » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:40 pm

Sad but understandable.

Cheers Carl for setting it up and all the hard work keeping it going. b~
Renewed my interest in skating and met some great people through this site, which I can't thank you enough for

In true MAS style a final farewell (w) (w) (w) (w)
cheers

It's fun fun fun fun fun til the pigs come round
bertslide
SHOOT ME!

Postby darthpunk » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:41 pm

damn.......but fair enough. In this day and age it's hard to keep a website going unless it's profitable or you have backing. I'm happy to use Facebook, all I seem to use it for now is following old man skate groups so I'm good with that

Thank you for all you've done Carl, had this site never existed I may have never known that older skaters existed and I might have taken up golf
darthpunk
I skateboard

Postby Fen » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:17 pm

Thanks guys for MAS. Met loads of people through this site and most importantly helped me get back on a skateboard. And still skate with loads of people I met through MAS.
Fen
SHOOT ME!

Postby Jeroen » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:40 pm

First Transworld, then Phelper and now MAS?
Jeroen
I skateboard

Postby Plan9Customs » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:27 am

Just heads up but if someone wants to take the reigns on MAS you can start a free forum here:https://www.proboards.com/create-free-forum

If not, feel free to join in on http://skate1junkies.proboards.com/
It's an older crowd of good people. It's been fairly quite there recently but if people join and post a bit it'll take off again.
No matter what, thanks to everyone who's hosted and posted. It was great getting to know some other old farts and through this site it helped me progress a lot as I'm sure it did with others. b~
Plan9Customs
nothing better to do

Postby Ben » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:47 am

I have been feeling a little melancholy this week and Carl's announcement has added to this feeling.

MAS has been a welcoming place for guys with shorts of Stanley Mathews proportions and wider skateboards for more than a decade and a half. Often funny, occasionally sage but rarely enlightened it offered sanctuary from the daily grind.

The early days of MAS were truly something that Carl and Woody should be proud of. In particular the jams 'oop north' offered camaraderie and a new take on what was possible for middle aged men with a fetish for baggy shorts. I will never forget Felix outlasting everyone at the 24 hr skate at Stockport.

At 56 I skate more now than I ever have thanks to the two very classy facilities near me. It is hard to say how long it will last but I felt the same in 2002.

Thanks Carl and Woody for your vision and effort.

Ben
tip toeing through the tulips

http://lyricalwaxing.wordpress.com/
Ben
I need a LIFE!

Time To Bow Out

Postby HarryR » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:22 am

I can echo Ben's and everyone else's thoughts about how hugely influential MAS has been to me and my skate buddies over the past decade or so. Thanks to all the founders for their hard work and commitment.

Hang on though....

Does it really need to end here?

I might be able to offer a lifeline to give the forum a home. I have a hosting account which is used for a couple of other things I dabble with. It's got spare capacity to host a few more domains and around 45Gb of disk space with unlimited bandwidth. Beyond the cost of the domain name(s) are there any other running costs to take account of? I don't mind paying for the cost of maintaining the domain name.

Carl, when is the current hosting due to expire? I can see that the domain is registered until July 2021.

The one thing I don't have right now though is huge amounts of spare time and only moderate technical ability. So, I'd need some help with migrating things to the new location and ongoing site admin if anyone else is prepared to muck in and help?

Give me a shout if anyone is interested.
Rose-tinted view of the days of our youth; we stood the test of time.
HarryR
anorak alert

Postby Ben » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:36 am

OAS. Old aged shred? :lol:

Not for me but it could be a goer for some.
tip toeing through the tulips

http://lyricalwaxing.wordpress.com/
Ben
I need a LIFE!

Postby Woody » Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:14 pm

fogiezboy wrote:Thankyou Carl for setting this site up and it got me back into skateboarding giving the vibe that its ok to skate at our time in life but as I posted previously it has had its day and should bow out gracefully and in my opinion its not well supported nowdays cos middle aged people dont want to skate and the original members are too old now.I hope it wont be taken over to continue but I guess some dudes will want to flog a dead horse :roll: .Check out UK Skate Forum young and older skaters on there which has taken up the mantle and is buzzing right now.
Fogiezboy over & out....

LEast your not blaming me for this ..- :wink: b~
Big Woodys Skate Shop
Woody
Skate Bully

Postby Brian S » Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:59 pm

Initially I joined this place in order to contact some old skate buddies that over the years in non Interweb times I had lost contact with, however the joining date on my profile was lost a while back when my account suddenly disappeared (Thanks to Woody for restoring what he could of my account :) ), so I have been around on MAS a lot longer that it shows on there.

A couple of years later MAS it was a big part of getting me beck into active skateboarding at 49 (56 soon), wish I'd re-started earlier. :D

It would be shame to loose this place as it is actually like an archive that Social media things cannot really do, forums may be dated but they are easy to navigate, search & find things.

The Facebook/social media platforms don't really do the best job, unfortunately they are also highly populated with the Me,me,me, keyboard warrior, over reacting handbag flouncing types which isn't particularly appealing :lol: :lol: , however I am a member of some of the more saner one's. :shock:

I hope HarryR can sort something out to keep this place from going totally! ..-
Brian S
monuMENTAL GEEK

Postby fogiezboy » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:20 pm

Woody wrote:
fogiezboy wrote:Thankyou Carl for setting this site up and it got me back into skateboarding giving the vibe that its ok to skate at our time in life but as I posted previously it has had its day and should bow out gracefully and in my opinion its not well supported nowdays cos middle aged people dont want to skate and the original members are too old now.I hope it wont be taken over to continue but I guess some dudes will want to flog a dead horse :roll: .Check out UK Skate Forum young and older skaters on there which has taken up the mantle and is buzzing right now.
Fogiezboy over & out....

For some reason Woody I genuinely thought you were the owner because you threatened me with the ban hammer (remember that :D) years ago lol.
My apologies mate b~ .
Biniaks got a pump.
fogiezboy
Geek

Postby Woody » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:29 pm

image.png
image.png (61.84 KiB) Viewed 29177 times
fogiezboy wrote:
Woody wrote:
Fogiezboy over & out....

For some reason Woody I genuinely thought you were the owner because you threatened me with the ban hammer (remember that :D) years ago lol.
My apologies mate b~ .

Excepted mate (SCS)
But I've threatened and banned lots of people :-)
image.png
image.png (61.84 KiB) Viewed 29177 times
Big Woodys Skate Shop
Woody
Skate Bully

Postby Mark_81 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:18 am

Sad to see it go :cry:

But thanks for all the work behind the scenes - As with many others this place got me back on the board without feeling like a plonker............ well sometimes I still do when I'm looking up at the sky & thinking how did I end up here on my arse........ again! ~.. (gh)
Instagram grey_ham_81
Mark_81
I got new wheels

Postby Corey » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:24 am

Just wanted to chime in and thank everyone that made MAS happen! It raised my stoke levels, taught me a lot about gear-sluttery and introduced me to some awesome people, one of which I skate with most every week. %$
Corey
nothing better to do

Postby undertime » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:36 pm

Skateboarding is, without a doubt, one of the most important things in my life. If it hadn't been for MAS I wouldn't have it.

MAS gave me the courage to step back on a board after more than two and a half decades off and the motivation to keep going when I realised just how challenging that was. It's introduced me to new tricks, good people (see above) and a global community that it is supportive, inclusive, positive and just as fucking weird as I am.

It has been fundamentally important to my every day life and, I kid you not, my overall sanity and happiness - allowing me to feel 'part of a gang' when I've otherwise struggled with a sense of identity and isolation in a strange land.

I can not thank the founders enough. You have no idea how much impact you've had on my own life (well, a bit more of an idea now) and those of many others.

I hope the site keeps going in a new and, dare I say, more dynamic format. There's definitely still a market for it, but that market is evolving whereas this site remains pretty static in terms of design, functionality etc. I guess it's time for a change.

I don't have any time or technical skill, but would be happy to contribute to ongoing costs/hosting. I owe MAS more than I could ever afford to pay back ...

Anyway, enough of this soppy crap. Thank you guys. Seriously, THANK YOU.

Alan
More of the same old shit over at Instagram @undertime74
undertime
Super Geek

Postby reckless toboggan » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:39 am

undertime wrote:Skateboarding is, without a doubt, one of the most important things in my life. If it hadn't been for MAS I wouldn't have it.

MAS gave me the courage to step back on a board after more than two and a half decades off and the motivation to keep going when I realised just how challenging that was. It's introduced me to new tricks, good people (see above) and a global community that it is supportive, inclusive, positive and just as fucking weird as I am.

It has been fundamentally important to my every day life and, I kid you not, my overall sanity and happiness - allowing me to feel 'part of a gang' when I've otherwise struggled with a sense of identity and isolation in a strange land.

I can not thank the founders enough. You have no idea how much impact you've had on my own life (well, a bit more of an idea now) and those of many others.

I hope the site keeps going in a new and, dare I say, more dynamic format. There's definitely still a market for it, but that market is evolving whereas this site remains pretty static in terms of design, functionality etc. I guess it's time for a change.

I don't have any time or technical skill, but would be happy to contribute to ongoing costs/hosting. I owe MAS more than I could ever afford to pay back ...

Alan
All of this.

So much.

All of this.
reckless toboggan
I got new wheels

Postby HarryR » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:21 am

undertime wrote:Skateboarding is, without a doubt, one of the most important things in my life. If it hadn't been for MAS I wouldn't have it.

Alan

Great post, I couldn't have put it better.
HarryR
anorak alert

Postby Woody » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:08 am

So who would chuck say £10 in to a kitty to keep it going ?
Big Woodys Skate Shop
Woody
Skate Bully

Postby Glenouille » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:11 am

Everything has been said - I'm also OK to participate financially.
I have no idea of the kind of money we are talking about - how much do we need in total to cover all the mentioned costs for a year (for instance)?
Glenouille
I got new wheels

Postby undertime » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:41 am

Woody wrote:So who would chuck say £10 in to a kitty to keep it going ?

Count me in.

But I think - I'm sure many do - that the site would benefit from a revamp if it's going to survive in the longer term. That's beyond my pay grade I'm afraid.
More of the same old shit over at Instagram @undertime74
undertime
Super Geek

Postby Corey » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:07 pm

I´ve got £10. (y)
Corey
nothing better to do

Postby HarryR » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:16 pm

I'll chuck a tenner in, no problem. Where do I send it?
HarryR
anorak alert

Postby Mark_81 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:15 pm

Woody wrote:So who would chuck say £10 in to a kitty to keep it going ?

Yep no probs. ..-
Instagram grey_ham_81
Mark_81
I got new wheels

Postby fogiezboy » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:34 pm

I'd chuck a tenner in but will it relight the stoke?.
Biniaks got a pump.
fogiezboy
Geek

Postby Weirdo » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:55 pm

Okay so I’ve not posted on here for a while but I upgraded the last one. I think everyone is right it needs a bit of love.

If it’s okay with Carl what I’ll do is move it and host it so that it keeps going.

While I’m doing it I’ll upgrade it and see about making it mobile friendly.

I will have to see how it works out financially. Possibly I might take donations if it gets a bit tight but we will see how it goes.

Question. Do we change the Black and Orange?
Weirdo
Admin

Postby Brian S » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:31 pm

Weirdo wrote:Okay so I’ve not posted on here for a while but I upgraded the last one. I think everyone is right it needs a bit of love.

If it’s okay with Carl what I’ll do is move it and host it so that it keeps going.

While I’m doing it I’ll upgrade it and see about making it mobile friendly.

I will have to see how it works out financially. Possibly I might take donations if it gets a bit tight but we will see how it goes.

Question. Do we change the Black and Orange?

The black orange scheme is iconic surely!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

But with the white typeface it's easy on the eye, I find some others around a bit indistinct with whishy washy pastel squinty colours ! :shock:
Brian S
monuMENTAL GEEK

Postby HarryR » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:38 pm

Black and orange works for me. Actually, I always use Tapatalk to access the forum, in dark mode which is a dark grey with orange so it kind of matches.
HarryR
anorak alert

Postby GoR64 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:00 pm

Wow I missed all of this.

I'd be happy to donate towards running costs, unfortunately no technical ability other than graphics and have done the admin thing before, though time is at a premium these days.

I'd even be fine disabling my adblocker if it would make a difference seeing {relevant} ads.

Feel free to shoot a PM my way if I can be of use, financially or otherwise.
Don't call it a comeback...
GoR64
Bigger Geek

Postby vato kat » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:12 am

This place is worth maintaining. Happy to donate.
vato kat
SHOOT ME!

Postby Fen » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:32 am

Keep the colour scheme. Are you going to update the webpage? Just some new info to welcome the new generation of middle aged shred from the 90s. And maybe some new vids such as the MAS one that was made a few years ago.
Cheers Pete if you can give it another shot. I would chip in with costs if need be.
Fen
SHOOT ME!

Postby TonyB » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:17 pm

I will just echo what has already been said. MAS has been a significant part of my 40-50's I’ve met so many brilliant people here and had so many funny moments through the years, this place is legendary. Also attend a couple of Jams along the way in places I would never have gone to if it weren’t for skateboarding and MAS. I would hate to see it shut down, even though it’s been quiet of late.

Happy to chip in to maintain things if necessary.

Colour scheme is perfect IMO always has been.

Thank you for starting this Carl it’s been brilliant.

The Answer to ALL bearing questions is Rockin Rons
What is the best soft wheel? Orange Rainskates Tsunami 85a duro (available in various sizes)
My Collection
TonyB
NERD!

Postby Scissorhands » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:00 am

Looks like cultural reset occurring, skate parks in schools and interscholastic comps.
Maybe put MAS in a museum.
Scissorhands
skate skate skate

Postby bubi » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:21 pm

Were this post no april's fool, couldn't we revert to tapatalk to set a new MAS?

I am loving tapatalk lately, well I only am in 2 fora...

Anyway, man, I basically just joined, don't even live in the UK, it's a shocker. This is agreat inspirational place.

BUBI 0_0
bubi
I skateboard

Postby TonyB » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:52 am

bubi wrote:Were this post no april's fool, couldn't we revert to tapatalk to set a new MAS?

I am loving tapatalk lately, well I only am in 2 fora...

Anyway, man, I basically just joined, don't even live in the UK, it's a shocker. This is agreat inspirational place.

BUBI 0_0

Tap talk is utterly dreadful. I deleted it, it was so bad.

The Answer to ALL bearing questions is Rockin Rons
What is the best soft wheel? Orange Rainskates Tsunami 85a duro (available in various sizes)
My Collection
TonyB
NERD!

Postby misterbleepy » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:33 pm

I owe my current skatelife to MAS, so thanks to all for starting it and participating.
I would be very happy to see it continue, and am prepared to contribute £ if necessary.
And obviously I need to actually post some stuff to help keep it alive too...
Keith B. - still riding goofy
misterbleepy
Geek

Postby Weirdo » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:32 pm

Test
Weirdo
Admin

Postby Weirdo » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:08 pm

Okay the Site has been moved so im now in control :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Can everyone just check its working the same as it was before.

Now its on my server I will look to upgrade it and possibly fix a few things. We will have to see how it goes as far as the finances are concerned so we might have to come up with a plan but lets see how it goes.

MAS lives ..- ..- ..-
Weirdo
Admin

Postby HarryR » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:27 am

Weirdo wrote:Okay the Site has been moved so im now in control :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Can everyone just check its working the same as it was before.

Now its on my server I will look to upgrade it and possibly fix a few things. We will have to see how it goes as far as the finances are concerned so we might have to come up with a plan but lets see how it goes.

MAS lives ..- ..- ..-

Wow!

That was pretty seamless. Everything appears to working ok so far.

Great job :-)

Shout up if financing becomes an issue.
HarryR
anorak alert

Postby reckless toboggan » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:54 am

For real?

I hope this is true! It'd be a cruel joke.

Everything seems the same to me.
reckless toboggan
I got new wheels

Postby Mark_81 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:42 am

Awesome! ..-

All seems good to me.............. took a couple attempts to log in - as it logged me back off instantly. All good now, look forward to the updates.

Cheers for keeping the content alive!

**Edit

Currently every time I want to comment it logs me off. It works out ok when I log back on, but will get tedious if happens every time. Or it could be happening to just me & everyone else is ok! :shock: :D
Instagram grey_ham_81
Mark_81
I got new wheels

Time To Bow Out

Postby misterbleepy » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:53 am

went a bit wonky for me yesterday evening, but now I know it was probably because it was being moved - looks good now - well done :-)

(I'm posting from Tapatalk at the mo, will see if it logs me off when I try from the web interface later this morning)

still riding goofy
Keith B. - still riding goofy
misterbleepy
Geek

Postby Weirdo » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:03 am

Mark_81 wrote:Awesome! ..-

All seems good to me.............. took a couple attempts to log in - as it logged me back off instantly. All good now, look forward to the updates.

Cheers for keeping the content alive!

**Edit

Currently every time I want to comment it logs me off. It works out ok when I log back on, but will get tedious if happens every time. Or it could be happening to just me & everyone else is ok! :shock: :D

I think it’s a cookie or session issue. I had it for a while. Try clearing cookies.
Weirdo
Admin

Postby Weirdo » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:04 am

reckless toboggan wrote:For real?

No joke.
Weirdo
Admin

Postby Weirdo » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:05 am

misterbleepy wrote:went a bit wonky for me yesterday evening, but now I know it was probably because it was being moved - looks good now - well done :-)

(I'm posting from Tapatalk at the mo, will see if it logs me off when I try from the web interface later this morning)

still riding goofy

Yep I guess with tapatalk you don’t get the holding page that I put up.
Weirdo
Admin

Postby Weirdo » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:06 am

One thing I have noticed is it’s not sending emails.

I will try and look at that today.
Weirdo
Admin

Postby Fen » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:42 am

Cheers Weirdo. Thats good news
Fen
SHOOT ME!

Postby Jeroen » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:01 pm

you is awesome!
Jeroen
I skateboard

Postby Brian S » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:12 pm

Just logged in all seems OK, but it did log me out for no reason so had to log back in :)
Last edited by Brian S on Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian S
monuMENTAL GEEK

Postby Brian S » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:20 pm

P.S. keeps randomly logging me out at present :shock:
Brian S
monuMENTAL GEEK

Postby Weirdo » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:13 pm

Brian S wrote:P.S. keeps randomly logging me out at present :shock:

Try clearing your cookies and trying again.
Weirdo
Admin

Postby Carl Arnfield » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:42 pm

First of all thanks for Weirdo for stepping in and keeping MAS alive ... i really appreciate it

and Woody for the chats regarding this

and to all you lot for your kind words regarding MAS and what it means to you ... great reading

b~
dont live by other peoples limitations

Carl Arnfield
I'll Take Down Youtube

Postby reckless toboggan » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:24 am

Weirdo wrote:
reckless toboggan wrote:For real?

No joke.
Nice!

Whooooohooooo!

This is awesome.

You rule!!

Thank you!

Sincerely, thank you.
reckless toboggan
I got new wheels

Postby Corey » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:05 pm

Great news! Thanks!

w~
Corey
nothing better to do

Postby Brian S » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:27 pm

Weirdo wrote:
Brian S wrote:P.S. keeps randomly logging me out at present :shock:

Try clearing your cookies and trying again.

Cleared out cookies & did registry clean, still randomly logging me out , now sometimes between pages, have had to log in twice to try & post this, am on a desktop if that makes any difference.
Brian S
monuMENTAL GEEK

Postby SidcupSlam » Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:22 pm

Carl Arnfield wrote:First of all thanks for Weirdo for stepping in and keeping MAS alive ... i really appreciate it

and Woody for the chats regarding this

and to all you lot for your kind words regarding MAS and what it means to you ... great reading

b~

Thanks for everything you’ve done up until now Carl. And a big thanks to Wierdo. This site was a big help to me when I first got back into skating. Although I haven’t frequented it much recently the thought of it disappearing made me appreciate that I shouldn’t take it for granted. I’ll endeavour to visit more, post more and donate if needs me.

Long live MAS.
SidcupSlam
I skateboard

Next

Return to Suggestion Box