Forum Closing Down

Get it off yer chest here - this is the place for all general shredder chat

Forum Closing Down

Postby Weirdo » Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:38 pm

Hi all,

I think it is time that the Forum was finally put to bed.

Its getting so little traffic and content now. Its also costing a lot to host, its so out of date and some of it is going to take a lot of work to update if it even can. Im afraid its time is up

My plan when the hosting needs renewing in a month or two is to take a read only snap shot of the site. I will then host that on the same URL. That way all the old content will not be lost and people can still use it as an archive.

As its a snapshot we don't have to worry about the security and the size of it reduces by a factor of 10 so its cheaper to host.

Its had a good run and I know some will miss it but we have so many other ways of keeping in touch and sharing stuff now.

Peter
Weirdo
Admin

Re: Forum Closing Down

Postby Plan9Customs » Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:20 am

Makes me sad since I have a soft spot for this forum. I made a lot of good acquaintances here and progressed a lot due to it. I completely understand though. I’ve tried to get people posting but it never really lasted. Thanks for everything and also for keeping it an archive.
RIP MAS.
Plan9Customs
nothing better to do

Postby Alec » Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:04 am

A sad day for sure.

I have met so many people and forged some lasting and fleeting friendships through MAS.

Talked a lot of bollocks and been called a cunt on a few occasions.

But it's the way of the world I guess, other skate forums have bitten the dust in the last couple of years.

Big thanks to those behind the scenes for hosting for so long.
andre wrote: the 8 is a different beast altogether. you won't be thinking about truck geometry when you're just trying not to get killed. :mrgreen:
Alec
No fingers left from posting .... what a

Postby Brian S » Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:48 pm

ArrghH!! end of an era! :cry: no more talking bearings & bollocks then! :lol: :lol: :cry: :cry:

The Facebook version is an inferior not upgrade for sure, with way too many kiddies, attention seekers , non active skaters, the easily offended over nothing & collectors on there ! :shock: ~.. ..-

Farewell!
Brian S
monuMENTAL GEEK

Postby Fen » Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:42 am

Still a few weeks left to talk bollocks then, Brian! :D

Cheers Pete. You tried to save it a couple of years ago. But hardly anyone posted up. Even during the lockdown!

I am glad you are archiving it. Be good to be able to dip back in for memories!
Fen
SHOOT ME!

Postby Plan9Customs » Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:28 am

Bearings you say?! Still haven’t tried Rockin Ron’s yet but Quantum Bearing Science has some great ceramics at a great price(they’re in the states so don’t know if they ship across the pond). Way faster than the Hard 6s I was riding. Loved them so much I bought another set.
RIP the bearing wars thread. You provided hours of entertainment. b~
Plan9Customs
nothing better to do

Postby Alec » Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:12 pm

Plan9Customs wrote:Quantum Bearing Science has some great ceramics at a great price(they’re in the states so don’t know if they ship across the pond).

Just checked and yes they do, $19.50 for shipping to UK
andre wrote: the 8 is a different beast altogether. you won't be thinking about truck geometry when you're just trying not to get killed. :mrgreen:
Alec

Postby PaulW » Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:58 pm

Forum Closing Down?

Impeccable timing.

I just logged-in to ask for advice on a new set of 65mm No Skoolz 78a wheels: I binned mine yesterday because they're ~54mm and horribly deformed and the Skaterbuilt ditch wheels I put on in their place are DEAD. LIFELESS. HEAVY. DID I SAY DEAD? (so what's a good 78a narrowish 60mm wheel these days?).

Meanwhile: RIP forum. End of an era. I liked the vibe until I didn't (it seemed to go south at some point and stopped being funny, around the time life started doing the same) and skateboarding totally gave me up in 2016 and it's only in the last couple of years/months I've felt like getting back on a plank-and-four.

Best to all and I hope to see you at a skate spot at some point where we can skate and not wang on about how much better things were in the old days. Green wheels still fastest. ONWARDS.
PaulW
I need a LIFE!

Postby Plan9Customs » Sun May 01, 2022 2:42 am

Plan9Customs
nothing better to do

Postby Mr Van » Sun May 01, 2022 9:41 pm

So long and thanks for all the bollocks.
x-x
Mr Van
I got new wheels

Postby Alec » Thu May 05, 2022 12:38 pm

PaulW wrote:(so what's a good 78a narrowish 60mm wheel these days?).

OJ Super Juice?
That said, haven't tried them but they are green and look like your thang.
Alec

Postby PaulW » Thu May 05, 2022 4:51 pm

Alec wrote:
PaulW wrote:(so what's a good 78a narrowish 60mm wheel these days?).

OJ Super Juice?
That said, haven't tried them but they are green and look like your thang.

Cheers Alec! As it happens, I got offered a set of 78a 65mm NoSkoolz second hand on a cycling forum's Skateboarding thread. Which sorts me out for another 10+ years, I guess...
PaulW
I need a LIFE!

Postby fogiezboy » Thu May 05, 2022 7:23 pm

Sad news but inevitable with the other platforms available nowdays,big shout for MAS guys Goofyfootgra and Greywolf no longer with us who I communicated and traded Skate gear with on here,RIP guys.Anyone more tech minded than me and fancies setting up a private facebook page for the stragglers on here,i'm in.

Fogiezboy over and out
Its been emotional.....
Biniaks got a pump.
fogiezboy
Geek

Postby caitlin » Sun May 15, 2022 7:45 pm

well fuck, I only just got back. I'm not on facebook and don't plan to join. big sad. I love you lot.
can I get a halfpipe on the roof at work?
http://www.motleykunst.co.uk All-Girl Motley Crue tribute act.
caitlin
smell of grip tape

Postby justin » Mon May 16, 2022 11:18 am

Are we still open ?

Just a quick thanks to Tim and Carl and anyone else involved in getting MAS started in the first place. It kick started my return to a board , cheers chaps !! b~
Skateboarding is back!!
justin
nothing better to do

Postby Brian S » Thu May 19, 2022 9:20 am

What's the cut off date then for the forum?
Brian S
monuMENTAL GEEK

Postby Brian S » Fri May 20, 2022 10:53 am

Weirdo wrote:Hi all,

I think it is time that the Forum was finally put to bed.

Its getting so little traffic and content now. Its also costing a lot to host, its so out of date and some of it is going to take a lot of work to update if it even can. Im afraid its time is up

My plan when the hosting needs renewing in a month or two is to take a read only snap shot of the site. I will then host that on the same URL. That way all the old content will not be lost and people can still use it as an archive.

As its a snapshot we don't have to worry about the security and the size of it reduces by a factor of 10 so its cheaper to host.

Its had a good run and I know some will miss it but we have so many other ways of keeping in touch and sharing stuff now.

Peter

Have we got a cut off date
Brian S
monuMENTAL GEEK

Return to Soap Box