Did you skate today?

Get it off yer chest here - this is the place for all general shredder chat

Re: Did you skate today?

Postby doowyrag » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:42 pm

JimBin wrote:Great stuff doowyrag. Are they Ventures i see? How you finding them. I'm riding a pair of v-lights and think they are great, although they didn't work with my last deck. I'm blaming the deck. Glad it's gone.

Hiya JimBin.

They are Ventures, yes. 5.8 Standards. I've used Ventures for years and they've always been good to me.
I moved up to 5.8's when my boards started sneaking up in size and these'll do 8.25 up to 8.75. Somehow I have two sets so that's probably me covered for trucks forever. :)

Also. It was definitely your old deck - no doubt about it.

JimBin wrote:I was skating Friday twice, Saturday, Sunday, and Tuesday twice. Weather means I may miss skating tomorrow, and looks like Friday morn may be taken up with family stuff. Friday afternoon might be mynext skate which seems ages away.

Blimey. :shock: Stoked!
doowyrag
Super Geek

Postby Plan9Customs » Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:35 am

@undertime Yeah that was a heavy hit you took. As stated before listen to you doctor, rushing it will only set you back further in the long run. The being off board for a long time is in ways actually worse than the pain of the injury huh? At least there's family time, videos, insta, and other ways to get by though!
@JimBin glad to hear you're getting out as much as possible. Would be nice if we could see a little of it(hint hint). Although I understand about not filming since it can severely cut into time that could be spent skating, rather than dicking about with tripods and cameras, not to mention the bail gun factor.
@doowyrag Knock. Glad there's some life being brought back! BTW you're talking gibberish when it come to truck size...whats this 5.8 stuff? is that a 55-66 or 149-159?
Trying to get out for a bit soon but still smokey here and skating in a respirator sucks! Better than not though.
Plan9Customs
nothing better to do

Postby doowyrag » Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:35 am

Plan9Customs wrote:@doowyrag Knock. Glad there's some life being brought back! BTW you're talking gibberish when it come to truck size...

Ha! I don't limit talking gibberish just to truck sizes. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Plan9Customs wrote:...whats this 5.8 stuff? is that a 55-66 or 149-159?

It's what the sticker on it said. You must be speaking Indy there.. :p

Plan9Customs wrote:Trying to get out for a bit soon but still smokey here and skating in a respirator sucks! Better than not though.

I just had a look on this map (quiet day at work) and it looks like you're in the middle of the three biggest 'incidents'?
In a time of 'stay safe' - stay safer.
doowyrag
Super Geek

Postby JimBin » Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:08 am

Doowyrag, I'm on 5.8s too. Had 6.0 Films before them. I'm skating 8.38-8.5. I don't think i'll go above 8.5 for a while, but I may do 8.25 if i'm stuck for choice. I find them great once the top washer ate a groove out of the hanger. They turn brilliant. Feels good and can do a fairly tight U. Grinds are good too, but they wear a little quick. Clearance is mad, though. I've hit axles but barely scratched the kingpin nut.
Plan9, if you ever leaving the indy/ace world, the 5.8s skate ever so slightly wider than a 44. The axles are short after the hanger though - i have two washers inside the wheel and one outside and the nut barely stays on. On a 44 i had 3 washers inside and 1 outside with some space left. Feel wise, except for the lighter baseplate, they remind me of the indys i used to skate 1990-92. I've no idea of the stage and i couldn't be arsed googling it. Also, that fire shit looks serious. I hope all stays ok for you and yours.

On a different note, I got a quick skate today so i'm happy. Would have preferred longer, but it will do. My next chance will be sunday but the forecast is bad, bad, bad.

Here are a few slapps from last weekend:

Lovenskate 8.5, Ace 44s, rocket rons and swiss l2 mixed, Loophole 54mm v shape
JimBin
I got new wheels

Postby Plan9Customs » Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:44 am

@JimBin Always rad seeing your footage!
Heres a few really slow lame things from Sunday.
Plan9Customs
nothing better to do

Postby JimBin » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:49 pm

Lovely stuff Plan9. Really enjoyable watch. Any tips on the feeble? I'd love to do one. Your one rips. Do I need a freestanding curb?

Skated a nice bit in the last week. It was good fun.
JimBin
I got new wheels

Postby Plan9Customs » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:54 am

@JimBin you can do them on a sidewalk curb or a double sided. The sidewalk is the harder of them since you've got to lock in, hit your rail, and keep the front light enough that your wheel doesn't drag. That's how I first learned them. They're really not hard, its just come in at less of and angle than you would for a normal back slappy, don't try to keep you front truck down once it hits the curb. Just kind of guide it up/over and the rail down with your front toes, lock the rear wheel in heelside and center your weight over your rear foot with most of it on your toe side. The front foot keep really light. When its time to come off pivot on your rear foot toe heavy and kick turn(its more of a kick turn than the way you'd normally come out of a back 50-50). that's about the jist of it. BTW if you can do them on trans its the same thing. Hopefully that helps, if not, let me know and I can do a video how to that'll show it better than I can write it.
They're fun as hell!

Oh yes I did skate today. Did the impossible! I landed a kickflip primo, fell forward and somehow managed to land on my knee after knocking it back to primo again. Hopefully that was a once in a lifetime thing...
Plan9Customs
nothing better to do

Postby Plan9Customs » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:23 am

Learned slappy smiths tonight. Still in the early ugly phase. I’ll post some once there cleaned up a little.
Plan9Customs
nothing better to do

Postby JimBin » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:03 am

Plan9Customs wrote:Learned slappy smiths tonight. Still in the early ugly phase. I’ll post some once there cleaned up a little.

Nice! I can get in but can't keep them longer than 6 inches. Can't wait to see them.

Plan9Customs wrote: just come in at less of and angle than you would for a normal back slappy, don't try to keep you front truck down once it hits the curb. Just kind of guide it up/over and the rail down with your front toes, lock the rear wheel in heelside and center your weight over your rear foot with most of it on your toe side. The front foot keep really light. When its time to come off pivot on your rear foot toe heavy and kick turn

Thanks. I skated Friday morn, but hurt my knee. I tried these for 15 mins on Friday evening, but my knee wasn't working. I'm too sore to skate since, and don't know yet if i'll be ok this week or if it will take longer.
On the 15 mins trying feebles, I ended in boardslide a lot as I was going too parallel and pulling in. I got better results taking the same angle as a slappy crook. I couldn't hold it cos my back knee isn't right and had to stop. Really want to try these again.
JimBin
I got new wheels

Postby LostnotFound » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:05 pm

Did I skate today, yes yes I did. For the first time in fuck knows how many years which allows me to actually post on here again. I popped along to an ABC night at the Pioneer, will write a tad more about it tomorrow.

Skate on lads.
Please ignore the above post, I have nothing of merit to say.
LostnotFound
I got new wheels

Postby Plan9Customs » Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:04 am

@ JimBin dont feel bad, I can maybe scratch out 4"-6" more than yours. :lol:
Sorry about the knee. I have the same thing but my front knee. Sucks having to keep away from certain things at times. Anyhow, sounds like your getting close. Im sure youll have them quickly!
@LostnotFound Looking forward to hearing about it and glad you got out to skate again.
Plan9Customs
nothing better to do

Postby doowyrag » Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:38 am

@Plan9Customs / @ JimBin
Cool clips gents - slappies are ace - I MUST learn them!!

@LostnotFound
Stoked for you getting your board out again, I look forward to seeing / reading more.
doowyrag
Super Geek

Postby doowyrag » Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:39 am

I had a little play out a couple of Fridays ago.
My favourite bank was wet so I had to stick to the flat bits..

Speaking of sticking..

Cheers all!
doowyrag
Super Geek

Postby Plan9Customs » Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:18 am

As always @doowyrag, great edits.
Heres my 'smith' that was the only one that made it on film(no tripod and the phone fell and I didnt notice).

There were actual ones that got missed. But same thing just didnt get the wheel pinched before it lapped over. Im doing curb rituals tomorrow so hopefully I can get some real ones recorded this time. :roll:
Plan9Customs
nothing better to do

Postby JimBin » Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:09 pm

Great vids Doowyrag! Cool skating and great editing.
Nice smith Plan 9. Aggressive!

I gave the feebles a go on my red blocks cos it was pissing rain. Thanks for the advice, Plan9. When i was lost, I was reminding myself of what you said. They are definitely getting there. I just need to remember to turn back out, but am happy i'm getting the grind. I was in a race with the rain, school collection and landing one. Unfortunately, landing one last the race. Hopefully i'll be as close when i get back to it.

My flat spot is driving me mad.

Plan9Customs wrote: BTW if you can do them on trans its the same thing. .

Dude, I can only do 2 things on trans - 1) drop in, and 2) hop off onto the other deck. There is a new park with 3/4s of a small bowl about 15 mins away. When the covid restrictions ease (6 weeks), i might try learn some transition.
JimBin
I got new wheels

Postby Plan9Customs » Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:09 pm

You’ve got those @JimBin I’m guessing you’ve probably landed them by now. My sad story is I completely lost smiths. 6 days of not doing them and they disappeared. Changed my wheels so I went from 48ish wheels(just worn down) back to 53s. Maybe that had had something to do with it. I really doubt that’s the case though.
Plan9Customs
nothing better to do

Postby JimBin » Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:25 pm

Plan9Customs wrote:You’ve got those @JimBin I’m guessing you’ve probably landed them by now.

Yep, I had them. Won't say 'have' cos they could go, but I was getting 4 out of 5 attempts, which is good on something hard to grind.

Plan9Customs wrote:My sad story is I completely lost smiths. 6 days of not doing them and they disappeared. Changed my wheels so I went from 48ish wheels(just worn down) back to 53s. Maybe that had had something to do with it. I really doubt that’s the case though.

They'll come back, keep your back foot further back the tail - i'm usually back foot over bolts for slappies, but 3 inches further back for smiths.

As for wheels, I think it can make a massive difference. I changed wheels a while ago and everything changed. I changed shape and size (originally the same, but the old were well worn) and it was very different.
1) Bigger wheels changed my angle sitting on ledges. Trucks were more sloped as inside wheel was higher. I slipped off ledges a lot until i learned to adjust.
2) I had classics style wheels that were well worn so the contact patch was bigger and the sides were flatter. The new more rounded edges had me also rolling back up onto the ledge.
3) Slappies too less effort (bigger and rounded sides), and kept over slapping - going to losi, lipslide etc unintentionally).

So yeah, wheels do make a difference. Overall, for me, my new wheels were way better, though, despite the issues above. The difference the wheels made really convinced me it matters. I used to think only trucks (long) and decks (short) needed an adjustment period. I was wrong. Wheels do too.
Hope yours work out.
JimBin
I got new wheels

Postby Plan9Customs » Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:21 am

I knew you'd get them quick @JimBin. As for wheels, it may play a part but I should be able to adapt. I'll still take the blame. I'll get them back sooner or later. Anyhow, here's some crap from yesterday...
Plan9Customs
nothing better to do

Postby Plan9Customs » Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:00 am

I guess it'll be the me,me,me show until you guys start posting.

2 hours today on the curbs albeit with a bunk knee. Skating in pain is better than not skating and still being in pain though.
Plan9Customs
nothing better to do

Postby JimBin » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:47 pm

2 cool edits Plan9. Looking very smooth.
JimBin
I got new wheels

Postby Plan9Customs » Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:08 pm

Thanks. Hopefully you’re not drowning in rain and we’ll get to see some from you guys across the pond.
Plan9Customs
nothing better to do

Postby JimBin » Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:05 am

Rain is bad. And when it isn't raining, there is no drying. The ground has been wet for ages. All I am getting to skate is the almost-covered DIY. And even that has had wet ground at times! It was dangerous, but fun.
I did get 30 mins of a curb on sunday, but the ground was wet and the curb was wet. Couldn't do much but it was nice to be outside.
I'm skating this morning if the DIY is skatable. I'll try and record something and put it up. I'll see if I can find something from the last week too and add it in.
JimBin
I got new wheels

Postby JimBin » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:06 pm

here are some clips from a curb quickie in the wet and a couple of visits to the semi-covered DIY. My knee is still sore from a slam. I hope to hit the DIY in the morning but temps will be low enough (0c or 30f) according to the forecast. Fingers crossed it is skatable.

JimBin
I got new wheels

Postby Plan9Customs » Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:13 am

Great stuff @JimBin. It’s all good but those smiths are clean! Color me green.
Plan9Customs
nothing better to do

Postby Plan9Customs » Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:38 am

Here’s the closest I’ve come to smiths since I lost them...

@JimBin if it’s not too much of a hassle, about what angle do you come in at compared to regular front slaps? Foot positioning(saying back foot back more helped)? Anything you see that’s right or wrong? I’m almost there I just can’t seem to get my front wheel to dip fast enough so it hangs up or stays on too long.
Plan9Customs
nothing better to do

Postby JimBin » Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:26 pm

Plan9, here are some ideas. Hopefully one or two of them help.

Angle - doesn't seem any different to me compared to front 50 50 (there is some variety tolerated in front 50s so I just go as normal).
Back foot - back foot all on start of tail angle (the slanted bit), none on the flat. I'm always over the bolts for front 50s.
Front foot - can see at least 1 front bolt, maybe 2 - possibly ever so slightly back compared to front 50s, but not majorly noticeable.
It might be worth placing your deck on the curb in smith position with the front wheels tucked in against the curb and the back heel locked in and finding your balance point. For me, its about 70% back foot, 30% front foot with the weight coming down through my back hip with knee slighty bent. Scoot forward trying to keep back truck locked in and front truck tucked in. This will guide your foot positioning.
Brain on approach - wiggle your back toes to remember your back foot cos it does most of the work and think of your back heel clamping the truck onto the curb (basically a feeble except on the horizontal surface).
Getting in - if you watch mine in .25 speed, my front wheel goes up the curb but i slap the back before the wheel locks in so my front truck does not grind. I see that yours does. That's the way i was for ages with the front toe side wheel still up on the curb but the heel-side wheel down below. Then when I tried to change it, i just kept 4 wheel on the asphalt and scraped my axle nuts across the horizontal, often falling on my arse and shooting the deck down the road as i was braced for grindage and slight slowing. For me, this is a pushing grind.
Other issues that arose were turning way too much or slapping too hard. Sometimes i end in lipslide. the other thing that drove me nuts was too much weight on the front so that as i was grinding my front was sliding further away from the curb and i was exiting perpendicular to the curb and had to slide the tail back under myslef.

Best of luck with it. If more comes to me in the next few days, I'll add it here.

Skate on!
JimBin
I got new wheels

Postby Plan9Customs » Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:54 am

Thanks @JimBin. As soon as we get some dry weather I’ll give it a shot. Hopefully I’ll come back with some footage of actual smiths.
Hope everyone that’s lurking or passing through is getting out and getting some board time.
Plan9Customs
nothing better to do

Postby doowyrag » Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:24 pm

Hello everyone.. aka Plan9 & JimBin :D

I've been keeping up with your footage and am in awe. I've been telling myself to learn slappys forever.

Maybe 2021, just after I get kickflips on lock :D

Plan9Customs wrote:Hope everyone that’s lurking or passing through is getting out and getting some board time.

It's been dark / wet / horrible here for ages so I haven't been out lately.

Had a lazy kerb play a few weeks back..

..and would like another for C*****mas please.
doowyrag
Super Geek

Postby JimBin » Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:35 pm

loving the skating and the spot doowyrag. thanks a million for posting.

I skated monday, tuesday and today. Weather is wet, have to keep going to to the semi-covered diy. Getting 5-0s longer and messing with lipslides on a ledge.
I really wish i could skate outside.
On a bummer note, security cleared a skate session at the weekend so i'm not sure how long things will last.
On an even more bummer note, the outdoor diy, which lasted 10 years, is about to go. Planning permission for a warehouse was granted and they have started clearing the site. They haven't touched the skate stuff yet.
JimBin
I got new wheels

Postby TW1ST1 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:07 am

Well has been a few years since i last posted on here, but managed to skate twice this week, which is probably my combined effort of the previous 4 years.

Made it down to bay66 and was by far the oldest there but at least i managed a drop in and just getting used to the Feel of beeing back on the board
TW1ST1
I skateboard

Postby Plan9Customs » Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:39 am

@doowyrag LOVE your edits. Hope it dries up so you can get some more time in. @JimBin glad to hear you got out and your working on some things. Sorry to hear about getting booted and even more bummed about the diy spot. Sounds like its time to start searching for another empty building. @TW1ST1 rad you've gotten more time on board in a week than you did in 4 years. Keep it up! Skated just on the patio today so 1/4 and some flat. Got a few things back I'd been neglecting. Curbs tomorrow.
Plan9Customs
nothing better to do

Postby JimBin » Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:27 am

TW1ST1, cool to hear. Dropping in after 4 years takes guts! Hope you had a good one.
I got 15 mins yesterday outdoors (wow) before the rain started again. Glad I got anything but really pissed it was cut short. The ground was soaking before i started, though, so it had the feel of being dangerous.
Skated the covered diy this morning. I saw the security guard doing his rounds so hid for a few mins til he passed. This really sucks. There have never been security there before.

From yesterday:
JimBin
I got new wheels

Postby JimBin » Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:47 pm

i skated christmas eve and st stephen's day. Both times i skated the train station. I got one back 5-0 slappy fast and about 10 feet long that made me smile. We have bad storms today. Hopefullly i can skate tomorrow.
JimBin
I got new wheels

Postby Plan9Customs » Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:34 am

Glad to see you got out(even if it was only minutes). Hopefully you got a break in the rain and got out since then. Same old same old at the Yurbs for 90 minutes. Tried switch front slaps. They’re terrifying. 8” curbs didn’t help with the mental either. Got on-ish. Was so far in I was dragging both heels but trucks scratched. I’ll try them on the little 4”ers next time. Might not be so scary after the big boy curbs.
Plan9Customs
nothing better to do

Postby JimBin » Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:13 am

Plan9, 8" for switch is tough (8" is tough for anything). Bet you'll fly on the 4" ones.

I got a skate at the train station today. the kids from the skatepark arrived and it was crowded so after a while we headed to a 2-up 2-down. It was good to skate. I got a baby smith on top step with nose grind on bottom one at the same time. I was happy to roll away but it was a very short grind.

We go to higher-level lockdown now. Can't leave a 5 km radius, no groups, exercise with one other person only etc. I'll see how it impacts my skating. It's way too wet to skate in the garden.
JimBin
I got new wheels

Postby TW1ST1 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:50 pm

Started as i hope i get to continue in 2021.

Had 40min session down at mile end. Was a bit slippy but managed a sort of rock fakie. Didn't manage much of a rock but did get my wheels over the coping
TW1ST1
I skateboard

Postby Plan9Customs » Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:14 am

@JimBin sounds like a rad session and sorry about the lock down. We’re supposedly on lock down but our Sherrifs are unwilling to do their jobs and enforce it. Sorry about the bitching. @TW1ST1 sounds like a great way to start your year. Don’t worry if they’re not decked yet, keep on them and they will be soon enough. Skated the 4”ers today and got my first new one for then new year. Landed and would even go so far as to say learned switch front slappies. Can even come out like I’m supposed to(switch)!
They’re still slow and kinda ugly but they’ll get better the next day or so.

Keep them coming guys! It’s rad to see and hear about your sessions!
Plan9Customs
nothing better to do

Postby Plan9Customs » Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:46 am

Dry enough today to go hit the curbs again. Switch fs slaps are on lock now. Half ass tried switch backsides, DAMN those are a complete mind fuck! Rolling up backwards and blind is not easy to get over. I’ll get them sooner or later, just need to get out of my head and do it. Hope you guys had a chance to get so wood under your feet.
Plan9Customs
nothing better to do

Postby JimBin » Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:47 pm

Rad stuff TW1ST1.
Smooth Plan9. Those switch ones are nicer than some regular I've seen! Many props for trying switch backside!
I got a session in the semi-covered DIY yestaerday. Everywhere else was covered in ice. No security guards - hopefully it is going back to the way it was for the last 3 years or so. I was trying 5050s on a flat bar and smith grinds on a ledge. The guy i was with said i was leaning way back on the smiths and then it struck me - in all the smith grinds i have tried, slappy or on ledges, i have never fallen off behind the tail. Its always either sideways or forward. If you are still trying them, Plan9, lean way back behind the tail. See if that helps.
anyway, it was great to skate and it's great to see/hear about others skating.
JimBin
I got new wheels

Postby JimBin » Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:11 pm

I got a skate for an hour or so yesterday. The ground was wet and slippery, I fell a lot, but I had fun.
Some of the evidence is below.

JimBin
I got new wheels

Postby Plan9Customs » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:20 am

@JimBin I haven’t given up on them just hadn’t tried any the last 2 times. I’ll give it a shot next session. Switch FS are better now can go at a regular speed and get both trucks butted up correctly now(even starting to look over the front shoulder now instead of the trailing). Have you gotten any of the front crookeds yet? Those are going to be nice! Congrats on the 5 ohs and the 50/50 step off tail slides. Those are all rad!
Did skate a little tonight and did my first BS 180 reverts in 17ish years. Nothing special just Ollie, turn 90ish then revert the rest as soon as the front wheels hit. Forgot how fun those were. Hope you guys are getting some board time and decent weather!
Plan9Customs
nothing better to do

Postby JimBin » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:18 am

Switch FS sound great. Well done dude!
The front crooks are not working at the moment. About a year or so ago, they were straight forward. The old aces i'm skating now have the grooves. Then i started doing them on ledges. Landed a few, thought i knew what i was at. Now i can't do the slappy ones. Ah well. (there might be some old footage here with them, but it's not worth checking).
Weather is shit here. So is covid. Skated diy on sunday and today. Too wet to skate outside. I have to dodge the numbers at the diy. Messing with front nose slides and lip slides.
JimBin
I got new wheels

Postby JimBin » Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:53 pm

I got a couple more sessions in the covered diy.
For the first, i was on my own and the police pulled up outside. They didn't get out of the van, they just watched for a few minutes. I guessed they were checking numbers, not trespassers, so I skated on and they left after a while. I landed a lipslide so i was happy.
For the second, 2 skaters i didn't know (which is unusual) arrived. To begin with, we stayed at opposite ends, but they started getting quite close to me so I left.

JimBin
I got new wheels

Postby Plan9Customs » Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:39 am

Sad state isn’t it? Now when people show up we bail. Congrats on the lipslides @JimBin! Was dry out today so hit the curbs. Actually can get both trucks up on switch backside slaps now. I keep unweighting the wrong foot so I’m not getting out of them yet but should hopefully have them next time. This backwards crap is weird. Hope you guys are doing good and staying healthy as well as getting some skating in.
Plan9Customs
nothing better to do

Postby Plan9Customs » Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:13 am

Shitty edit from that surf
Plan9Customs
nothing better to do

Postby JimBin » Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:58 pm

Looking really good Plan9. The switch are smooooooth! I'm scared of the point on the deck though! That could seriously damage your ankles/shins!
Yeah, dodging people is weird. I skated early on sunday so I would have the place to myself. Hopefully not to much more of it.
JimBin
I got new wheels

Postby Plan9Customs » Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:38 am

Thanks @JimBin. Nose isn’t scary unless I were jumping down stuff and landed credit card. Then I’d be fucked. Literally!
Landed a few switch backside slappies today. They’re inconsistent still so haven’t ‘learned’ them yet. Maybe tomorrow. I’ll toss the couple I got on camera up later. Hope you guys are staying dry and out getting some this weekend.
Plan9Customs
nothing better to do

Postby Plan9Customs » Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:12 am

Plan9Customs
nothing better to do

Postby Harley » Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:29 am

Plan9Customs wrote:

This is awesome. Glad to see some of you are still alive. Inspired by the curb work.

On topic: I've cleared out a line in the basement, maybe 10' long. Practicing ollies over the weights in anticipation of summer. Trying to arrange a crew of old men to drive down to Albuquerque and brave the ditches once we are vaccinated.
Harley
I skateboard

Postby JimBin » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:57 am

Wow, Plan9, they are fast and smooth. Switch! Shit dude. That's next level. Stoked to see this!! Video intro rules too!
Harley, basement situation sounds great. I wish i had one. The shit weather is hard here this year and i'm hitting the DIY at odd hours to dodge people. Would love a basement situation. I came across a video ages ago of a guy in his basement skating. it was cool. I'll see if i can find it. Best of luck if you hit the road - let us know how it goes.
My skating is getting less cos of weather and covid - i got an almost-dry curb session last friday (wet but no puddles) and a diy session on sunday. Haven't been out since but maybe later today. I definitely notice the difference when I'm not skating as regularly. I don't think i get much better skill-wise with regular skating, but I feel more comfortable.

Has anyone got the no ollie crooks on ledges? The ones like a slappy crook but you lift a bit and roll up the top few inches of ledge with your front wheels. If you do, please send some tips this way. I'd love to land a few.

Edit - basement skating - https://vimeo.com/259534760
JimBin
I got new wheels

Postby Harley » Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:17 pm

Got ollie practice in before the kids woke up.

@JimBin: DUDE! That video just just blew up my brain. Thank you! I saw the first five seconds and dismissed it as some jerk with a gorgeous space .... then saw it was a fucking postage stamp of a basement and somehow he is cobbling together a fun box and haphazard quarters. Realized I am a whiny bitch and need to step it back up. That shit was rad!

MAS for the fucking win.
Harley
I skateboard

Postby Harley » Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:18 pm

What's the story with the crazy ass DIY open air warehouse space? Do you guys not get harassed by the cops? It is so gorgeous.
Harley
I skateboard

Postby JimBin » Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:13 am

Harley wrote:Got ollie practice in before the kids woke up.

@JimBin: DUDE! That video just just blew up my brain. Thank you! I saw the first five seconds and dismissed it as some jerk with a gorgeous space .... then saw it was a fucking postage stamp of a basement and somehow he is cobbling together a fun box and haphazard quarters. Realized I am a whiny bitch and need to step it back up. That shit was rad!

MAS for the fucking win.

Cool that you're skating Harley. Any rolling is great fun!

Yeah, I saw it a couple of years ago and your mention of basement reminded me. Looks super fun, and very creative - a lot of tricks in a small space. It's amazing what can be done with a few bits of ply etc. There are some other vids on his site, but that is my favourite.

Harley wrote:What's the story with the crazy ass DIY open air warehouse space? Do you guys not get harassed by the cops? It is so gorgeous.

It was supposed to be retail units. There are 3 rooms, the biggest is the one we use. The other buildings in the development are being repurposed, but this one has no plans yet. On one side, there are no walls, it was supposed to be glass. I don't think they were ever installed, but there is a lot of broken glass and rubber seals over that way. There are no doors on the opposite side and some of the metal has been removed from the walls. The pipes leak too (think i have footage of that in some video). Sometimes you can skate in the rain, sometimes the whole place is wet, and somettimes just parts are unskatable. We have a floor squeegee hidden out there and a brush.

I was out there again yesterday. It's a good space going for about 3 years. It's becoming more popular as the indoor park shut last year (pre-covid). Unfortunately, some non-skaters hang there sometimes at night and have bonfires etc. Very often there are smashed bottles from parties. For a while the security guard was kicking us out, but that has stopped and he stays in the other part.

The cops don't seem to mind as long as there is no trouble. (the outdoor diy was the same, but the owners will be building a warehouse there soon). We were stopped and qustioned coming out of hole in the fence, but it was fine. Twice in teh last 2 weeks cops have seen me in there - once they were looking for about 10 mins. I'm guessing they were just interested in covid rules, not trespassing. There was one time (pre-covid) the lads were kicked out (I wasn't there that day). They had set up a sheet of metal as a bank and every time it slipped there was a huge noise. Someone in the shop at the other side of the car park rang the police and they kicked them out. When the cops found out what was going on, they just told them to leave it that day and to make less noise next time. It's hard to say as all we see are news reports and I didn't deal with cops when i was in the US for work, but it seems to me that police in this country are not the same as police in the US.
JimBin
I got new wheels

Postby Plan9Customs » Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:53 am

@Harley thanks and 10’ of space is better than none. You might try hitting up Ryan Maddox for the ditch sessions. He’s older, knows the area, rips, and seems like a rad person(haven’t met him in person just through insta but he’s always been cool). @JimBin our cops are a hell of a lot different. They’ll ticket and or beat you in an instant. That hurricane on the crusty ledge was rad! The rest was as well but loved that one.
Hit the curbs this weekend since it was dry. Nothing new but still fun.
Plan9Customs
nothing better to do

Postby JimBin » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:24 am

Good to hear you out again Plan9. Are you suffering shit weather too?
I got out yesterday - actually outside. It was dampish and drizzled a bit, but it was nice to skate outside. I went to the outdoor diy. There was some junk dumped there by the new owners, and i found a few bits of metal to mess with. I though I had a manny pad, but it disintegrated in my hands from being wet. I sent a photo around to some of the other skaters in case anyone intersted inbuilding stuff with it. I also took home a steel square bar about 10 feet long in case we get more lockdowns. I was going to take 2, but left the second for the others - it may end up in the covered diy. My neck is sore and stiff for some reason and i could barely ollie. I had a lot of fun without ollies or just baby ones, though. I took some clips and i'll check my phone at some tomorrow and see if they are usable.
JimBin
I got new wheels

Postby JimBin » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:04 am

I got 2 skates this week at the covered diy. We had shitty weather, including snow, so I couldn't get out more.
I recorded some stuff but I don't want to look at it yet. On tuesday, i was skating the quarter to wall and I felt i was getting onto the wall with my back trucks. I don't want to look at my phone cos it probably won't be on the wall. Leave me with my delusion.
Today I hoped to skate further up the wall (if i even got on the wall) but that end on the diy was flooded so no curbs, no flat bar and no quarter to wall. I did get fakie nose grinds on the lower ledge and was stoked. I was trying to do 5-0 one way then fakie nose grind the other way on the same ledge in the same run. I gave it a good go but didn't manage the two trick line (?I know line is an exaggeration, but leave me to it).
Also, I'm sick of not meeting people to skate. The covid numbers are still high enough here, schools and non-essential shops are closed, we are supposed to stay within 5km of our homes and we are supposed to exercise alone. I'm not too worried about the law, but I don't want to hang with people who seem to ignore the need to physical distance, still share spliffs and water bottles etc. I don't want covid in the house in my family cos i skate. So it may be another few weeks before i skate with groups again. But I'm tired of skating odd hours on my own, and its harder when i know there are skate buddies in the park. Anyway, I'm sick of it. The rest of the restrictions i'm fine with except i'd like for my kids to get back to school. They're missing their groups.

On a more positive note, here is some footage from last Sunday (see the post above) from the other diy spot that is going to be gone soon.

EDIT - I looked, and i did (barely) get on the wall. Kind of. Ah well. I hope to get on it proper some day. Footage from 2 visits to covered diy below. I took 'surrounding' shots of area too, context and all that (ha ha).

JimBin
I got new wheels

Postby JimBin » Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:09 pm

I got to skate outdoors at a skatepark for an hour and a half yesterday!!
happy days, very quiet (a bunch of skaters were down the diy so none in the park). Rain stopped play, i was skating terribly, but it was still good. Forecast bad again for the next few days. And on it goes.
JimBin
I got new wheels

Postby JimBin » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:50 am

2 more skates for me - coverd diy. I landed a fair few 'slappy' crooks on the small ledge. 2 good sessions, nice times.
JimBin
I got new wheels

Postby Plan9Customs » Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:00 am

Rad stuff as always @JimBin! Got out for the first time in over a week finally. Tweaked my knee 2 Sundays ago on the mini and was off since. Turns out knees don’t bend to well side to side. Who knew? Been skating small amounts and riding a bike to try and rehab it back to normal. Did a spot check on the school 3 blocks away. No one skates this “double sider” or the escalator (I’ll post a video of the escalator and why double sided is in quotes after this weekend) at this school. Don’t know if it’s a bust or not but I’ll soon know. Anyhow...
Plan9Customs
nothing better to do

Postby JimBin » Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:07 pm

Plan9Customs, the curb looks super sick. I hope you have a great weekend!!!
JimBin
I got new wheels

PreviousNext

Return to Soap Box