Get it off yer chest here - this is the place for all general shredder chat

Er we've know this for years

Postby fogiezboy » Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:29 pm

Biniaks got a pump.
fogiezboy
Geek

Re: Er we've know this for years

Postby Brian S » Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:03 pm

Wouldn't pay much attention to the Daily fail! really :wink: , Looks like they had a chat to the US god squad as well :roll:

But, A bit of a change from being the Scourge of society, public enemy No1, ban it headlines from the UK press in the 70's then & more recent abuse, ridicule, years of indifference / dismissal from officialdom & violence against us!
Brian S
monuMENTAL GEEK

Postby JimBin » Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:30 am

The Guardian also used the research to write about 'older' people starting to skate (and one man skating for years I think).

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2022/jan/07/skateboarding-in-middle-age-it-helps-me-switch-off

The Daily Mail deal with the actual research, but I'm not sure Sky Brown is relevant to the demographic of the research. Is there a 'sudden popularity' of the 'sport' in the UK?

The Guardian barely mention the research.
Lovenskate 8.5, Ace 44s, rocket rons and swiss l2 mixed, Loophole 54mm v shape
JimBin
I got new wheels

Postby fogiezboy » Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:51 pm

The olympics really had no affect on getting people skateboarding in my area,if anything it dropped off in 2021.
Biniaks got a pump.
fogiezboy
Geek

Postby JimBin » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:30 am

I saw on quartersnacks that this has made the New York Post:

https://nypost.com/2022/01/04/depressed-in-midlife-try-skateboarding-study-suggests/

Yeah, olympics had no effect here. Covid did, though. A lot started cos of that and some are still skating. 2 in their early 20s who started during early covid skate regularly now.

Sky Brown is super well known in the non-skate world. My kids know of her.

The other day, me and 2 lads in their 30s were checking out a possible abandoned warehouse to use as a skate spot because our other one is going to be redeveloped and they bulldozed all our built stuff. Anyway, as were were looking from one property into the place where the warehouse is, a car pulled up, the guy got out and said he owned where we were standing and there is no way we could jump the wall from his place. He was giving us a bit of grief. We explained we weren't doing anything to damage his place, we just wanted to get to the abandoned place to skate. Straight away, he says he knows skateboarding and he thinks Sky Brown is great, he follows her on insta etc. Next thing he was helping us, showing us how to get in to the warehouse from the other side where we couldn't be spotted from the road. He didn't start skating though, jus following it on instagram. He started following my 2 mates too!
Lovenskate 8.5, Ace 44s, rocket rons and swiss l2 mixed, Loophole 54mm v shape
JimBin
I got new wheels

Return to Soap Box