When are trucks EOL?

ITS NOT INTENDED TO BE A SALE/PRICE FORUM JUST A PLACE TO HELP OTHERS OUT WITH DETAILS OF PRODUCTS

When are trucks EOL?

Postby Glenouille » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:06 am

Super stupid question but here goes... Been grinding my current trucks pretty hard and the hanger top on each truck is now much lower than the kingpin. It's ok on a lot of grinds where the kingpin does not come in contact with the ledge/curb/rail, but it's not OK on 50/50's.

Everything is kinda all right when I lock into it, but if I move my feet to prepare another trick to come off, I change the weight distribution which can trigger a little sideways sliding action and can result in bringing the kingpin in contact with the ledge. Immediate consequence: the board stops and I go flying. At first it was doing it a bit, I tried to be as clean and light footed as possible, it helped but now it's pretty much 80% of the time on 50/50's.

I have plenty of other pairs of trucks, so changing is no big deal, but I wanted to see if you know of any tricks to prolong the life of the trucks? I could file the kingpin a bit but would have to tighten the bolt and it would change the tightness of the trucks evidently... How long would it last for anyway?

I just realized that I always broke trucks when I first skateboarded, and never reached a kind of "standard" end-of-life moment, if there is such a thing.

I could just shut up and change trucks but I am curious... :lol:
Glenouille
I got new wheels

Re: When are trucks EOL?

Postby Fen » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:05 pm

Same happened to mine last year. Don't know of any methods to fix it or prolong life so I just got new trucks.
Fen
SHOOT ME!

Postby Plan9Customs » Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:31 am

Not sure what trucks you ride but I run Indys with 2 top bushings on the front so I can get it super floppy. It'll give you about 1/4"-3/8" of space compared to a regular top/bottom set up. My trucks are pretty ground down Im about 1/2 way through the axle on the rear(yes axle not the aluminum) and front I have a grove thats in the axle as well. I can post pics later if you want to see what the 2 tops is like.
EOL is when the bend or break. I cant stand breaking in new trucks so ride em till the wheels literally fall off.
Plan9Customs
nothing better to do

Postby TonyB » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:38 am

Try getting an inverted Kingpin. Grind King do them and Tracker used to. It switches the nut to under the baseplate and you just have a much lower rounded head on top of your bushing.

Instant clearance for worn down trucks.

The Answer to ALL bearing questions is Rockin Rons
What is the best soft wheel? Orange Rainskates Tsunami 85a duro (available in various sizes)
My Collection
TonyB
NERD!

Postby JimBin » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:37 am

I had a stock inverted kingpin in my last set of trucks (film) and it was great. My current trucks (venture) are close to the axle and the kingpin clearance is so big the kingpin is barely scratched. Think the new indy mids will have an inverted kingpuin as standard.
I had a set of aces and nearly half the kingpin nut was gone diagonally. The main advantage was that the nut couldn't move (the inverted kingpin was always randomly loosening). The main disadvantage was the nut couldn't move.
Like Plan9, I hate new trucks and find them the hardest thing to change in my set up, even changing to the same truck. I change them when the annoyance with them not doing what I want is greater that the annoyance of the change.
Lovenskate 8.5, Ace 44s, rocket rons and swiss l2 mixed, Loophole 54mm v shape
JimBin
I got new wheels

Postby Brian S » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:37 pm

The House Skatepark in Sheffield had a stock of the branded (can't remember which though, maybe grindking?) inverted kingpin kits in, they don't have an online shop but do have one in the park, give them a call Rob 0114 2490055 will sort you out! :)

http://www.thehouseskatepark.co.uk/

[email protected] email
Brian S
monuMENTAL GEEK

Postby Plan9Customs » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:24 am

JimBin wrote:The main advantage was that the nut couldn't move (the inverted kingpin was always randomly loosening). The main disadvantage was the nut couldn't move.

That's perfect! :lol:
Plan9Customs
nothing better to do

Postby Plan9Customs » Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:02 am

With a heavy heart I’m having to retire my 159s. Had them about a year and a half. Had them grooved perfectly and the locked in like a dream. They were axled both front and rear and was halfway through the rear axle. But, alas, the rear bent my last session. Now the nightmare of breaking in new trucks comes. Don’t fret my dears, you’ll have a new life as a welding hood holder and coat rack in the shop.
Plan9Customs
nothing better to do

Postby JimBin » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:04 pm

My condolences. RIP.

It hurts!

What are you replacing them with?
Lovenskate 8.5, Ace 44s, rocket rons and swiss l2 mixed, Loophole 54mm v shape
JimBin
I got new wheels

Postby Plan9Customs » Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:38 am

Thanks. It does hurt. Just the same, forged hollow 159s.
Plan9Customs
nothing better to do

Return to Gear Sluts