How to fall

How to fall

Postby Adrianw34 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:51 am

Just getting back into it at 49 after a33yr break
Only every skated bowls and Halfpipe infrequently for about 2 years way back when but never learned to fall so q? Is this.. How do you fall.. I see on vids people going to their knees to slide.. Which makes sense so what is the technique

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Adrianw34
am I a skate geek

Re: How to fall

Postby warwick » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:11 am

Knee slide: feet first, crumple onto your knees, slide. Avoid landing hard directly on your knees.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
warwick
I need a LIFE!

Postby K-ROC » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:38 am

Only try this technique if wearing knee pads.
Form like Voltron
K-ROC
Geek

Postby Kuell » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:26 am

The learn to skateboard videos on YouTube have some good tips on this(there is a sticky in the video forum)
Kuell
I skateboard

Postby j roach » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:47 pm

How to bail safely is something I think I need to work on in order to get the confidence to skate bigger/faster. Made some dumb mistakes so far, perhaps the dumbest being bottling it riding into a transition, jumping off and hitting the tranny with my feet dead on, sending all the force straight up through my knees/back/neck. Backside is ok since stepping off and going to knees/running out is easy enough.

Frontside is what's getting me stuck. That moment when you realise (or think) you won't stick it, I'm not always keeping my balance to just carve/kick turn back down, my weight starts to go off the board towards my heels and I bail. The way I'm bailing isn't good, kind of a jump, sideways splits thing as the board go under and in front of me. This seems like a great way to get my legs and/or knees twisted up, so any tips on surviving frontside bails would be great!
j roach
nothing better to do

Postby Brian S » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:40 pm

I fall Fookin Badly mostly :lol:
Brian S
monuMENTAL GEEK

Postby Skinnychris » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:34 am

I usually hit the ground before I know what's happening lol!

Sent from Lumia 925 using Tapatalk
Growing old is inevitable.....growing up is optional
Skinnychris
I got new wheels

Postby Hagwag » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:08 am

I slide along on my ass and/or back most of the time as I don't wear pads.
Hard to describe but rather than landing just on my feet I sort of propell my self onto my bum and slide. Spreads the impact and doesn't jar my knees
Mongo Pride
Hagwag
monuMENTAL GEEK

Postby bazza5070 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:04 pm

j roach wrote:How to bail safely is something I think I need to work on in order to get the confidence to skate bigger/faster. Made some dumb mistakes so far, perhaps the dumbest being bottling it riding into a transition, jumping off and hitting the tranny with my feet dead on, sending all the force straight up through my knees/back/neck. Backside is ok since stepping off and going to knees/running out is easy enough.

Frontside is what's getting me stuck. That moment when you realise (or think) you won't stick it, I'm not always keeping my balance to just carve/kick turn back down, my weight starts to go off the board towards my heels and I bail. The way I'm bailing isn't good, kind of a jump, sideways splits thing as the board go under and in front of me. This seems like a great way to get my legs and/or knees twisted up, so any tips on surviving frontside bails would be great!

I have yet to work out how to bail safely frontside, I have the same problem. Backside is ok as bailing and sliding on the knees seem to come naturally with the momentum being carried, Frontside is a whole different ball game, doesnt seem a natural way of bailing safely, I tend to try and jump off the board and just land however, usually on my arse and a few times have caught one foot on the board and slammed really hard. Any advice is really appreciated as my arse is fucking black and blue!!! :roll:
I like all wheels as long as they are Kryptonics.....
bazza5070
Geek

Postby j roach » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:28 pm

Tried to find something useful online and Warwick's vids proved helpful once again, if not exactly what I'm on about since I'm nowhere near that good :( At about 39s he pulls a series of front side airs, last one he bails/runs out on.

Trying to translate that to my ability level, the main thing is not to fight your momentum since that tends to end badly, so if carving let your legs fold and slide through the carve on knees, or run out if you can? Not getting the deck stuck under me is still the bugger.
j roach
nothing better to do

Postby HarryR » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:50 pm

I think not fighting your momentum is definitely the answer. If you're going frontside and you've effectively disconnected from your board then your body still needs to complete a natural rotation so that you can bail to your knees. Sounds good in theory anyway. ;-)
Rose-tinted view of the days of our youth; we stood the test of time.
HarryR
anorak alert

Postby Booyah » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:04 pm

In my opinion learn how to fall properly is the most important trick ever. Of course different surroundings require different techniques. This clip actually helped me a lot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zLFrV8hcrQ In addition I think this clip is helpful too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUWOjTY ... jMvW3ynhkQ
Assume This Phone Is Tapped
Booyah
I skateboard

Postby parker_knoll » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:39 pm

i mostly skate street and a bit of concrete bowl. when i fall it;s usually involuntary from hitting a pebble or something and i always seem to fall forwards (i guess cause the board is stopping) and always seem to land on my left side. oh, and i always put my hands out and they're bruised to fuck.
poorly co-ordinated gnarl
parker_knoll
am I a skate geek

Postby Baz4077 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:19 pm

Wrist Gards are a winner when u fall a lot ~.. :arrow: :%
being short ant all bad it's not as far to fall !!
Baz4077
skate skate skate

Return to How To - Anything else