To wash or not to wash

To wash or not to wash

Postby K-ROC » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:39 am

Pads.

I've heard that unwashed pads contain a powerful pheromone that can whip women into skater hungry frenzy of raw sexual desire, on the other hand my pads are starting to niff a bit.

So the question is do you wash them or do you not?

If you do wash them what top tips can you give?
What detergent? What temperature? How do you dry them? Etc.
Form like Voltron
K-ROC
Geek

Re: To wash or not to wash

Postby j roach » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:59 am

Good to know that, was worried that whipping my helmet out might put them off. I am wondering about washing my pads as well, if mine were to fall into the wrong hands they might make a potent biological warfare weapon.
j roach
nothing better to do

Postby Mr J » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:23 am

K-ROC wrote:Pads.

I've heard that unwashed pads contain a powerful pheromone that can whip women into skater hungry frenzy of raw sexual desire... .

I wouldn't know about that coz I always machine wash my pads and wrist guards ;)

Make sure the velcro is stuck down or the hooks will catch in the lining material and any clothes you have in the machine.

I use a front loader coz a top loader doesn't fit in my bathroom. Temp has been stuck on cool for years. The powder I buy is front loader powder of course, local supermarket brand so I can't give any advice on powder selection.

Its the winter/spring transition now, so I expect to be doing more pad washing. I've been wearing a thermal t-shirt with flannel shirt on top of that plus trousers, so the pads don't get stinky quickly at this time of year, so I've been washing my wrist guards the most frequently. 8C start this morning, about 4C last weekend. I expect to be washing them frequently in the coming months.
4'th incarnation, age 58
Mr J
anorak alert

Postby LostnotFound » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:41 am

On top of the advice from Mr J about sticking the velcro down, chucking them in an old duvet cover works pretty well to protect the machine / pads.
Please ignore the above post, I have nothing of merit to say.
LostnotFound
I got new wheels

Postby Catkin » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:46 am

I have no idea. That's my initial disclaimer. I haven't (yet) bothered to look it up, and don't have any pads handy to check labels or packaging!

Well, they are synthetics so I guess that means automatically not really above 30 degrees in the machine unless you want to get slightly risky with it. I dunno at what temperature the insides and plastics would melt? Or risk that whole going-soft-then-brittle sort of thing that some plastics tend to??
Better yet, 10 or 15 degrees, probably on a delicates or wool cycle (or if you have a specific 'hand wash' cycle then use that).
And pop in one of those mesh laundry bags, or inside a pillow case with the top tied shut with a 'lacky band, to stop the pads from getting all scuffed up.
Think of it like washing a bra...

Which would mean you'd probably be better off hand washing, if you are up for that. Perhaps a bit of a soak first for a few hours.
I'm not sure how disinfectant would react to plastics? Would it harm it?
But in terms of getting the pong out of sweaty pads, that might be a good option (killing off the bacteria and all). Soak in cold water for a couple of hours with some disinfectant (from the laundry shelf, not the toilet/bath shelf) diluted to whatever it says for laundry/nappies, then give it a bit of a wash on the 15 delicates cycle (to get out most of the disinfectant smell)?

I've also been known to soak a bit of Savlon into a sock or two and stick that in the machine with my laundry.

Detergent wise... dunno... hmmmm....if your skin is allergic-prone then stick to non-bio since they are going to be closely clamped to your body.

I'm voting against the pheromone thing. I've met a few men who used it as an excuse to not wash much, thinking it was making them super attractive. In reality they smelt minging and I didn't want to touch them in case I caught MRSA or something.

You're probably better off getting tips here from people who have actually washed pads, which I haven't. What I've said is my basic, generic laundry experience.
Catkin
smell of grip tape

Postby micke » Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:04 pm

Wash. Not rocket science.
"You ride fucking indys bitch".
Coach Frank
micke
Bigger Geek

Postby Brian S » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:01 pm

Halo sports wash for the washer, Halo sports kit Freshener for in between, keeps the whiff off brilliantly is anti Bacterial/ anti fungal & the wife will then allow your pads back in the house :lol: :D
Brian S
monuMENTAL GEEK

Postby Bullet » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:35 pm

I just wear a wristguard and a knee gasket but if you guys pad up often, the costant washing/temperature/detergent is going to fuck 'em up before their time... I heard that a bucket of icy cold water to soak them in and then just hang them to dry... No soap... Works a beauty...
Part Animal - Part Machine
Bullet
I need a LIFE!

Postby K-ROC » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:38 pm

micke wrote:Wash. Not rocket science.

848db9cdb2c0b8107fa6a385a33381f2eda9d52247de04dfa904598d3020f0a2.jpg

That'll be where I got confused then micke.
Form like Voltron
K-ROC
Geek

Postby K-ROC » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:39 pm

Bullet wrote:I just wear a wristguard and a knee gasket but if you guys pad up often, the costant washing/temperature/detergent is going to fuck 'em up before their time... I heard that a bucket of icy cold water to soak them in and then just hang them to dry... No soap... Works a beauty...

That was my concern. Might try some of this halo stuff Brian mentioned in a bucket.
Form like Voltron
K-ROC
Geek

Postby Bullet » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:58 pm

Yeah, if you think they're SUPER stinky, febreeze/halo or similar stuff while still damp and let them dry on the washing line...
Part Animal - Part Machine
Bullet
I need a LIFE!

Postby micke » Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:06 pm

Wash the shit after every 5-10th session. Close all straps. In the machine. 40 °C and the wool-program or any other easy program. Normal spin 1500 rpm. Normal powder, a sip of softener.

Once I tried to tumble dry... Straps where taking a beat.
"You ride fucking indys bitch".
Coach Frank
micke
Bigger Geek

Return to How To - Anything else