Mouse mats are the future

Mouse mats are the future

Postby vato kat » Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:33 pm

The combination of being a Scot living in Yorkshire who works part-time and is married to an 'artist' means that I am the tightest bastard known to humanity.

So what does one do when your pads don't give the protection you want? Well, you can learn to fall less or you can get yourself down to the computer shop and buy a mouse mat for 90p. A few bits of stick on Velcro and my Pro-tec wrist guards and Double Downs are now super padded.

It makes me wonder why they don't make the pads more reinforced in the first place, but hey. I'm happy to do it myself. Punk as fuck, me : 8)
vato kat
SHOOT ME!

Re: Mouse mats are the future

Postby j roach » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:09 pm

Yeah, one of the guys down Stockwell made hip pads outa mouse mats :)
j roach
nothing better to do

Postby Mr J » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:46 am

j roach wrote:Yeah, one of the guys down Stockwell made hip pads outa mouse mats :)

innovative 8)
4'th incarnation, age 58
Mr J
anorak alert

Postby Mr J » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:49 am

vato kat wrote:...you can get yourself down to the computer shop and buy a mouse mat for 90p... .

Yes, but you know what MAS is like, they will start looking at the top of the range gel and contoured memory foam mats ... :lol:
4'th incarnation, age 58
Mr J
anorak alert

Postby j roach » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:12 pm

Mr J wrote:
vato kat wrote:...you can get yourself down to the computer shop and buy a mouse mat for 90p... .

Yes, but you know what MAS is like, they will start looking at the top of the range gel and contoured memory foam mats ... :lol:

Or picking our mouse mats for the graphics :P
j roach
nothing better to do

Postby Beigebomber » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:13 am

And don't underestimate the arse/hip-padding benefits of a swimming float either.
Doesn´t like decks with dolphins or Bob Marley painted on.
Beigebomber
I got new wheels

Postby duck » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:09 pm

I've been wondering about home-made hip protection, since that is my main unprotected point that I seem to keep landing on, and I really don't have any spare cash to spend on gear at all.

I tend to roll when I fall rather than kneeslide since I'm mostly skating my local concrete park and the transitions are only up to about 5ft high. When I fail to roll correctly it's usually my left hip that takes some of the impact. I recently had a large swollen hip which came up a couple of days after a hard impact. I could barely walk on it initially and thought I'd broken my hip, but the doctor said it was an "impressive" hematoma - a blood vessel that had probably been damaged in the fall eventually burst a couple of days later causing a big swelling of blood - about the size of a goose egg on my hip. He said it would take a number of weeks to go down but it was about half the size the next morning and I could walk on it fine, and it has pretty much disappeared in a week.

But it definitely got me thinking more about hip pads. The only option I can find out there seems to be those fully padded shorts that you're supposed to wear under your clothes. The shorts look like they'd do the job really well, but they don't suit my opportunistic style skate sessions where I drop in to the park in-between other activities (between school drop-off & work for example).

Recently I found I can attach a knee pad to my hip but only if I have large buttoned side pockets on my shorts/trousers - by attaching the top strap to my belt and the bottom strap round the buttons of the pocket:

Knee pad as hip pad, attached to pocket buttons

I've been trying to think of other ways to manufacture my own hip protection - Until you mentioned mouse mats, I was considering perhaps using a chunky flip-flop sole!

If I end up with either a mousemat or flipflip based hip protection design, I'll post it here :)
Amateur skate videos from somerset and beyond: http://youtube.com/robotduckvideo
duck
am I a skate geek

Postby Beigebomber » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:19 pm

Duck, I am the fuggin´ DON when it comes to home-made pads. Back in my speedboarding era, I was a Michelin Man of foam, polystyrene and similar shit. I even put one shirt inside another once, put both on, then sprayed polyurethane foam filler between both so as to have a body-moulded armoured undershirt. Kinda worked, kinda didn´t.

Anyway, you ned to look at camping rollmats - you can cut them into any shape you like and stuff them where you need to. Also swim floats and polyurethane parcel padding. Loads of stuff out there you can use for padding.
Doesn´t like decks with dolphins or Bob Marley painted on.
Beigebomber
I got new wheels

Return to How To - Anything else